main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Thinkin' 'Bout Jar Jar

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Cryogenic, Feb 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chainmail_Jedi

Chainmail_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 26, 2013
    Those videos on YouTube of kids melting their Jar Jar figures? Sums up my feeling perfectly.

2. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Jar Jar can fight you all and win :p

Alexrd likes this.
  3. Samnz

Samnz Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    Well, I'm convinced that the ones butchering with other's films are largely unware of the intentions and priorities of the original filmmakers and don't have the slightest understanding of the source material. That makes their mutilation bad by definition. That's my take on it.

The problem with excising Jar Jar from TPM is that it drastically diminishes the film's central theme/message: duality, symbiosis, mutual advantage, tolerance, collaboration.
    In my opinion people were too concerned with finding imaginary reasons "why" George Lucas made the choices he made and therefore completely missed or consciously ignored the obvious reasoning and central "points" of his films.
    And that just proves my point above.

Random Comments likes this.
  4. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    The films central theme was duality, symbiosis, mutual advantage and collaboration? The films central theme was to show The Old Republic, Palpatine as a conniving politician working his way up the ladder while introducing the audience to Anakin. Did you have a tear in your eye when Obi wan came out with that stupid, 'what effects one effects the other you must understand this' crappy line or something?

5. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    It would have been great if the Gungans were actually British stereotypes who ended their sentences with "cheerio", "pip-pip", or "wot-wot".

6. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    What and they all had really bad teeth as well?

7. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Yup. They would all look like horses.

8. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    Or American stereotypes. Big fat, loud, obnoxious, idiots wearing chino shorts and white socks.

9. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    I am the internets real name is Dave *******t Boucher. And he's a muggy under the thumb ****

10. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012

11. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    Apologies. Are.

12. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Are you quoting from a Guy Ritchie film?

13. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    No I must apologise. Sincerely.

14. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Haha no worries, that dialogue sounded like it was from one of his movies is all.

15. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Yes.

No, those aren't themes.

Stupid, crappy line for you, maybe. And what exactly are you trying to say?

16. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    Who in their right mind looked at the film in that way? What happens to one effects the other? they were on opposite sides of the planet and one of them was situated deep underwater. Correct me if I'm wrong but I didnt see a droid subterranean invasion force? Or any hint the TF was remotely aware of the gungans? Or their ultimate survival was intrinsically linked in any way? It was a dispute over taxation (yawn) The TF's ultimate goal wasn't a prolonged global presence over every living thing on the planet from now until the end of time!

17. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Many people, obviously.

What happens?

Were they? Based on what?

"My troops are in position to begin searching the swamps for these rumored underwater villages. They will not stay hidden for long."

And it wasn't? An attack on their planet would kill them both.

No, as seen in the movie, that was a cover story. They were prepared to invade the planet (which they eventually did).

18. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    Firstly opposite sides of the planet. The Jedi HAD to go through the planet CORE to reach Naboo the quickest way. This sort of indicates that going on the premise that the quickest way to reach point B from point A is a straight line (its basic physics) and if you've got to go through the core of a planet to achieve this, then it naturally indicates that they're on opposite sides of the planet (duh)

19. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    To reach Theed, which although it's the capital, it's still just a city. Like Otoh Gunga was just a city. Even if those cities are on opposite sides of the planet, it doesn't imply each species only lives there. Still, all my previous points remain.

20. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    No. The king of the Gungans or whatever he was, said the quickest way to reach the city is through the planet core. Which begs the question, why didnt the TF just land outside the city! It's not like they were expecting BIG TIME resistance? Why land so far away?

21. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    I imagine they took the entire planet at the same time, so that doesn't bother me so much.

The Jar Jar character on the other hand, that is probably the single most ill conceived character in the history of film or TV. It's that bad.

22. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    Lol

23. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    What I mean is that, the invasion was planet wide. It's blitzkrieg on a planetary scale. There probably targets on the opposite side of the planet just like Theed was a target.

24. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    No there aim was the capital. Where Amidala was. If so? When the Jedi swam to Gunga or whatever it was called, the droid army was pretty close if I remember and the Jedi were just escaping the invasion force. So if they knew of the Gunga why weren't they attempting to capture them if they were so close?

25. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    I don't agree with you about that, I think they took the entire planet. Amidala was the main target, but quelling the population is a means to that end.

It was a planet wide military action.

As to the Gungan, I just saw that edit.

I don't think they were aware of their existence yet.

I think that their aim was to take control of the planet away from the Naboo.

The Gungans weren't known of yet, but eventually they would have learned of them from the population of the Naboo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.