main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"This deal is getting worse all the time!"

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by IG_2000, Mar 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    I agree to that.

I'd much rather have a pre-saga trilogy than a post saga

I even prefer it EU wise.

Gallandro and darklordoftech like this.
  2. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Palpatine did say "ONCE MORE The Sith will rule the galaxy" so there was another Dark Time as you put it.

Gallandro likes this.
  3. Kev Snowmane

Kev Snowmane Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2013
    That's what I keep saying. I think the time period of the Old Republic MMPORG would make an excellent trilogy.

4. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    Or... We can ignore Lucas' nonsensical retcon about how SW was "always for reals," about Vader's rise, fall, and redemption.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  5. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    GL did once make mention of a film about the "Old, old Republic", after all, back around the time of the release of ROTS.

Given that Disney now has a franchise on its hands that it would like to continue, well, forever, I'd put money on it happening eventually.

darklordoftech likes this.
  6. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Just because Vader threw a dude down the shaft that doesn't mean there will never be conflict in the galaxy ever again. And all it takes for the Sith to reappear is if a Jedi goes bad.

I wouldn't view the prophecy so literally anyway. The imbalance by the force was to a part caused by Sidious and Vader, certainly, but also by men like Tarkin or Veers or any other ambitious imperial. The imperial navy was capable of destroying planets, annihilating billions of beings with one shot. It was just as much a contributer to the imbalance, or even more so, than Vader and Palpatine were.

7. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Not sure if this is the right thread for that.

8. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    More Sith cheapens the originals. We've already seen that with the EU.

Dark-Siders, villains, fine - but this obsession with giving every evil character who knows how to wield the Dark Side of the Force the 'Sith' badge is downright idiotic - just as every decent Force user is somehow perceived as a 'Jedi'.

I'd like to see the new films explore Force users beyond two organised groups - the deleted scene from ROTS with Yoda & Qui-Gon already points towards a group of Force users who are way beyond both the Jedi and the Sith, known as the Whills. The very acknowledgement of their existence suggests that neither Jedi or Sith ever had the complete truth to begin with. THAT is something I'd like to see explored in the new films.

Oh, and rumour has it, ho ho, that a 'Whill' might look like this, in Luke Skywalker's death scene:

[​IMG]

9. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    Dark-Siders, villains, fine - but this obsession with giving every evil character who knows how to wield the Dark Side of the Force the 'Sith' badge is downright idiotic - just as every decent Force user is somehow perceived as a 'Jedi'.
    -----

QFT

I for one would love to see other force sects

10. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    But in the movieverse it is already established that dark force user = Sith as Anakin was immediately a Sith after converting to the dark side. Changing this aspect is akin to retconning the previous movies. Movie audiences know nothing about Sith tradition and code and so on.

Only in the EU is dark sider =! Sith
    In the movieverse a cult like the Dathomir witches would only be another variation of Sith

11. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    1. Anakin became a Sith because he accepted the position of Sidious's apprentice.
    2. The Dathomir witches are in TCW and are not even hinted to be "Sith".

12. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Yes, all he had to do was bow down to Palpatine and use the dark side. Therefore, to be a Sith the requirements in the movieverse are

a) be the apprentice or master of another Sith
    b) use the dark side

And that's all. There are no big tests of character and abilities, no learning a code, no nothing. Dark Jedi and Sith are basically the same thing in the movies. Therefore, if you introduce some darksider (Dathomir witches) the audience will automatically assume they are Sith. Because, well, they fit all the criteria. TPTB can't easily retroactive include a code and traditions and whatnot because we have seen on screen that Anakin became a Sith because he chose to be.

13. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    A Jedi's padawan is also a Jedi. A Sith's apprentice is also a Sith. You can discuss it at http://boards.theforce.net/threads/non-eu-what-makes-a-jedi-sith.50007648/

14. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    Same here.

15. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    The odds are certainly greater now that Disney owns it than it was with Lucas at the helm. He just wanted to do Star Wars TV and the 1313 video game.

16. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    Interesting discussion. I agree I would have strongly preferred to have seen a new series of films taking place prior to the PT (during the days of the "Old Republic") than after ROTJ, which is a much more interesting time-period to me. However, the ST era is what will sell a lot better. The general public is more familiar with this era, and after all it will give Disney/Lflm. the excuse to bring back at least some of the original cast from the OT. This obviously all translates to more $.

That being said, I'm not even sure I want to see the ST in the theatre (I may just wait for the DVD/Blu-ray). I guess I'm just burned out on the SW franchise at this point. I feel the OT & the PT told a great story, and I never expected there to be more films. If I want more, I can read (or re-read) the numerous books & comics out there.

17. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Which is why I like George so much.

18. Heero_Yuy

Nov 28, 2000
    ^ Eh, Lucas never gave me the impression he cared about the fans. What, with his petty suppression of the OOT and all. If Disney can actually somehow manage to get the OOT a proper release I say thank God for Disney!

19. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    fixed

20. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    IMO people care way to much about these small changes. They are great movies with or without them.

21. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Lucas never overly focused on the fan base. He didn't have to. He ran a private corporation. But Disney, yeah, these massive conglomerates have their ears to the ground when it comes to fan appeal. They have to in order to reap financial success and please their shareholders.

Heero_Yuy and Alexrd like this.
  22. Heero_Yuy

Nov 28, 2000
    Never mind.

23. venepe

venepe Jedi Master star 1

Feb 25, 2004
    In a certain point of view. Disney wants to create a massive fan base. THEIR fan base, a whole class of new fans. These new people will not necessarily share the same views as the current fan base. So OOT, PT, CW, and EU fans will be set aside. Disney wants a huge amount of ST fans, the rest must either join them or be destroyed.

obi-rob-kenobi4 likes this.
  24. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    fixed

venepe likes this.
  25. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    Yes, I agree that this seems to be the direction that Disney/Lflm. is moving towards. That being said, prior to the ST release there still is/will be an emphasis on the OOT & and PT eras, i.e. the current Dark Horse comics like "Star Wars" - set in the OT era; "Dark Times" - set between the PT & the OT; forthcoming "alternate universe" SW series, etc.

venepe likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.