main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Thinkin' 'Bout Jar Jar

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Cryogenic, Feb 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Why didnt they have ships land just outside the city then? Explain that. Where was the vast ranks of the battle hardened Nabooian army waiting to fight to the death for their planet?

2. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    I think that they had troops landing everywhere. Including near the capital

It was a planet wide action

As to the ability of the Naboo to defend themselves, I don't think they had much. I liken it to WWII, when countries fell to the Nazi's quickly and without much resistance.

If I have a problem with this, it's more in how easily the good guys win in the end as opposed to how the planet falls in the beginning

3. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    You think? The film didnt show that. The film showed ships landing on the other side of the planet and travelling en masse to the capital city.

4. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    Yep, that's how I've always seen it. You know I don't just blindly defend the PT's, I don't hesitate to call out faults. I don't think the invasion is one of them.

As I said in my edit above, if I have a problem it's more in how the good guys win in the end than with the fall of the planet in the beginning.

I'm also unclear as to the TF's motivations in invading in the first place.

And, Jar Jar is still perhaps the worst character in movie history.

5. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    First, absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. And second, it's mentioned and implied in the film that they invaded the planet, not just the city.

Random Comments likes this.
  6. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    The whole thing was so contrived it was laughable. And you throw Jar Jar into the mix and my head was literally in danger of falling off. I didnt realise it was meant to be this way? Lol

7. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    What about the gungans then?

8. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    Jar Jar fending off that army with his clown antics, there is a complaint I can get behind.

The battle droids themselves irk me, too

9. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    Despite that clown, there was never any hint of a Naboo army. Just a mention of some volunteers so why not just roll straight in? Why land MILES away? So the Jedi can meet Jar Jar and go to Gunga and use a Bongo that's why. Contrived *****.

10. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Yeaah, you still need time to get that giant army (completely packed away in ships) organized. Why do it on top of the enemy that could possibly disrupt that process when you don't have to? It was clear the TF totally held the advantage; they're just exploiting that they completely hold the initiative here.

Captain Tom Coughlin likes this.
  11. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    Landing zones are a rallying point for an organized march and attack against against a city. You need to get your troops on the ground and organized. The troops we see the Jedi land with are not the same ones that march on the capital. That landing is being repeated planet wide. I really don't think this is a problem.

I also think that the planet surrenders quickly, because the droid army is an overwhelming force. It is reminiscent of the Nazi's expansion out of Germany in the early portion of WWII.

Again, if anything, my problem is more with the way in which the good guys win in the end. I think he invasion itself works fine.

Edit: I just saw Darthboba's post after typing up this one. I agree with his post.

12. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    Their robots. It wouldn't have taken them THAT long from what we saw? And A handful of volunteers disrupting that process would've been like pissing on an oil rig fire. They might aswell have just ran around shouting and hitting the droids with sharp sticks.

13. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    Because you use sound tactics no matter the occasion.

14. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    I think the TF was well aware of what level of defence they would encounter when the green light was given to invade. Yeah batten down the hatches this could get ugly!..?!

15. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    You still would employ proper tactics. You don't just do things willy nilly.

16. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Erm, you did watch the end of the movie, right? It's a slow, complicated process to disembark battle droids, and it's not a quick process to organize vehicles, either-especially the dozens or hundreds the invasion force had. You don't want it disrupted even minimally; it'll cost time to end an early attack when you're still getting organized, and that can have consequences later, like key objectives (cough capturing the queen cough, which was the whole point-kinda hard to make her sign anything when she bounced offplanet before the droids were able to effectively fight).

The TF had air superiority from the get-go, and a seemingly impenetrable blockade; there's no reason to act in haste, at all.

17. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    Who was there to disrupt it? No one was. The captain even admitted himself. And how many droid ships were there in the blockade? If you have that MUCH of an advantage and outweigh the enemy that MUCH and aren't really expecting any kind of resistance anyway, why land so FAR from the city? As you've alluded to, you own the skies so surely that's 90% job done already. No I'm sorry I'm unconvinced.

18. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    What about them?

19. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Okay then. There's still no reason to go in in a rush. My ten years in the Army and I remain unconvinced. ;)

20. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    (Ahem) right. The whole point of the blockade is to get the queen to sign the treaty. She says I will not condone a course of action that will us to war, but her captain says we've only a handful of volunteers against a battle hardened federation army. What sort of WAR is that going to be. Maybe a rather nasty argument with lots of shouting? The city is the main focus because of the queen so seeing as though this the hub of the planet, take this as quickly as possible and set up a defensive perimeter around the city just in case there's anyone out there who's feeling brave and build your territory from there. The Gungans couldn't give a **** to begin with so why would they want to get involved?

21. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    The entire planet falls in a matter of hours at the most. That's pretty fast

22. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Exceedingly so. and again, for all intents and purposes the TF has the Naboo trapped. in my experience there's simply no reason to rush with that much advantage in your favor. I'd like to point out that the Empire doesn't rush on Hoth, either, against a similarly outmatched opponent. There's zero reason to rush things when you're in the Federation's shoes here.

23. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    Capture the Queen and the rest becomes irrelevant. You've got the Queen, and she's the be all and end all. So take her as quickly as possible and save yourself the bother. Where's their army? Where's the resistance? Where was the final stand to desperately try and defend the city against the invading hordes?

24. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    Sidious seemed pretty eager for her to sign and he was behind it all. The way he was going on speed was of the essence.

25. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Not really true. He pushed them into invading earlier than they'd wanted, but the catalyst was the Jedi becoming involved, not him wanting Amidala captured immediately. Sidious also demonstrates a lot of patience in general in TPM; he hardly dictates the pace of the TF invasion. He expects results, but leaves the actual work of the invasion to the Federation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.