main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TV Discussion LACWAC Member Interviews (★☆★ SpecialOpsUnit & Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes ★☆★)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by AkashKedavra_93, Sep 4, 2012.

1. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Baawwwwww our little Fanboy is growing up.

I think I've been dogging it these last few questions, I've been letting you off the hook, so let's dig a little deeper.

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy you seem pretty freaked out over post-university life, what is it exactly that scares you? Could you articulate your feelings for us? Is this your greatest fear? If not, what is? Feel free to take all the time you need.

2. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    It's an unknown quantity. People always fear what they don't understand. I don't have any phobias and I consider myself to be pretty resilient on the whole, but I think it's the fact that I don't even know where to start is what worries me. I've only ever had one part time job, working tills in a supermarket. And I left that about a year and a half ago. It's definitely not something I want to go back to, but it's been my only real experience so far, aside from mandatory work experience during school. I have no idea what jobs are even available, it's overwhelming. I'm sure I'll find something but right now, I feel like I'm entering uncharted territory. I don't know what I'm doing. And the fact that I don't have much to put on my CV doesn't help. Hell I still haven't passed my driving test, and I started learning at 17. That was four years ago. I don't have any real hobbies - none that look good on a CV - so I fear that I won't get picked for anything because I'm a pretty blank slate. Cue the classic "I wish I could go back and tell my younger self to get involved in more things and be more proactive" speech. It sucks, and I'm not looking forward to it, though once I get something I'll probably be fine. Did anyone else go through this? That's probably stupid, everyone has. And now it's my turn.

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Do universities in the UK offer any help on applying for jobs? I know that the year I did my internships in both undergrad and grad school, several professors gave us advice on how to apply for jobs; they brought in several school principals to talk to us about what they were looking for in applicants as well. That was helpful.

I think most people go through it, especially in a down economy; I don't know what unemployment is like in the UK right now. The worse it is, the scarier it is to leave school.

I know I'm old as hell but I just finished grad school two years ago so this is recent for me; shoot me a PM if you ever need a sounding board.

4. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

Feb 25, 2011
    They do, but being my lazy self I haven't sought anything proper out. It's entirely my own fault, and that's a big part of what I don't like about it.

I do appreciate the kind words and support though.

5. CaptainRex115

CaptainRex115 Jedi Padawan star 3

Jan 11, 2013
    School sucks...cant wait till its over this year

The Shadow Emperor likes this.
  6. Coric

Coric Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 19, 2011
    School is and has been the easiest time of my life.

I'm scared to leave the realm of high school nest month, :(

cwustudent likes this.
  7. CaptainRex115

CaptainRex115 Jedi Padawan star 3

Jan 11, 2013
    Highschool was BOSS but college is terrible, but Im only doing 1 year thank God.

8. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I hear ya, Fanboy. I'm graduating in May and have no idea what I'm gonna do. It's easy enough to talk about getting a job, but the actual process is a lot of work and determination.

And Coric, everyone fears leaving high school. I did, but I knew I was going to a good college where I could greatly expand my knowledge and experience, and I have. I just need to show employers how much I know and how much I can do. But these past four years have been amazing; I've met great people and even made friends with a bunch of them, yet I still hold on to my best high school friends.

As they say, the world is your oyster. Go and live life to the fullest, in college and beyond. [face_peace]

9. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    We're learning so much about our dearest Fanboy. He's become so much more than just the LACWACy Primate of the Opressors, it's like he's a real boy now, instead of an internet clone trooper like so many of the rest of you non-sentient mooks. All of this characterization has made me care so much more for LACWAC's greatest villain, and if we had a "What should Fanboy's fate be?" poll thread, I'd vote for "happily ever after". That or an explosive LACWACy permaban.

Tomboy, just about everybody goes through that at least to some extent. I definitely went through it, I was the same as you. I was lazy for most of my life and scared of the consequences of that laziness.

We all start off with no experience. That will change fast if you want it to.

Get help from someone who does know what they're doing. Really, it's okay to tell them you don't know what you're doing and that you need help, it's okay to have someone hold your hand a bit and help get you started. If you have opportunities similar to what Tracy mentioned, seek them out.

My advice would be to pass that driving test ASAP. Seriously, as soon as your dissertation is wrapped up, the driving test should be next on your list of goals. If you still need practice, go at it hard like you would any other important, life-changing test. If you're confident now, schedule the test as soon as you're done with your dissertation. Seriously, don't procrastinate on this, it's important, just do it. I'm not sure if it's similar in the UK, but there's little public transportation in Michigan outside of Detroit, so if you can't drive yourself you can't get anywhere. If you can't get anywhere, you really can't do anything. Reliable transportation (the only kind being you) will open up a whole new world for you, I swear it. Maybe you've just been driving illegally, but it would still be nice to not have to sweat it.

1) Finish up university.
    2) Pass that driving test.

I typed up a lot more, but removed it because I realized I was projecting and this is your interview.

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy, we know about your passion for Star Wars and gaming, what other passions do you have?

10. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

Feb 25, 2011
    This is the part where I realise just how boring I am as a person.

Probably my biggest passion aside from the aforementioned two is for music. I love music. Doesn't really matter which genre, I'll listen to almost anything so long as it's not mainstream pop and it sounds good. And I'll listen to it pretty much whenever. I used to be really into rap and hip hop growing up, then I got into metal, and now I'm an EDM junkie. Haven't been to a gig in a while but I plan on changing that this summer.

I'd probably also list Mass Effect as a separate passion because of all the stuff outside of the spectrum of the games it has inspired, like Star Wars. Also the 2003 TMNT series. But only the 2003 series, as it's the only series where I haven't felt my brain rotting while watching. The storylines are mature and dark, there's good humour, Shredder is badass and actually a menacing threat to the turtles. It got a little silly with all the magic and Ninja Tribunal stuff, then with Fast Forward and Back to the Sewers it was pretty much dead to me, but the first four seasons are absolutely sublime, for a cartoon. I care about that show way more than I care about TCW.

Up until about a year ago I was well into Lego too. It was pretty much the defining characteristic of my childhood and adolescence. I have six boxes of the stuff under my bed, plus a few more trays and carrier bags in the cupboard, and a good dozen or two intact sets on top of various shelves that just can't go anywhere else. Once I discovered online brick stores and the online Lego communities I must have spent at least a thousand pounds acquiring minifigs and specific types of bricks, in preparation for big building projects, but they unfortunately never came to fruition. I built one sci-fi tank, it was about a foot and a half long, then I tore it apart to add in caterpillar tracks and never got round to putting it back together.

Other than those, my biggest passion is probably for drawing. They're not amazing, just doodles, but I get praised on the quality and I do enjoy looking back over my work. And it sure as hell beats taking notes in class.

11. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    The saddest part of raising money for college for me was selling the majority of my Legos. I loved those things and used to build like crazy. Still do occasionally. I have a two ft. tall tower comprised entirely of the standard brick pieces in various shapes and sizes. My crowning Lego achievement was making my own version of the Battle of Endor. Though my Death Star was... lacking to say the least. And Lego Land was such a cool place for a kid like me. Still one of my favorite trips ever.

Still, I made a good amount of money selling my 40+ sets of SW and Harry Potter Legos on eBay.

/interview hack

12. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Nobody who likes Legos is boring. Period.

I like Legos and will occasionally buy the smaller sets;I get Star Wars and Harry Potter sets but I also found a Seattle Space Needle that I want to build. I've got a wish list going for bigger sets. (Super Star Destroyer, please.)

I live about 10 miles of one of the only two Lego stores in North Carolina, which is awesome.

And I always respect people who can draw. I give the art teacher I work with headaches. :p

13. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    I got into TMNT at a very young age, I loved the first two live action movies and the cartoon, I had a bunch of the action figures and some of the video games, which were awesome. My brother dressed up as Raphael for Halloween one year and I was insanely jealous of his awesome costume. Because of the early fond memories the franchise means a lot to me, so with Fanboy's endorsement I might have to check out the 2003 series.

We're coming up on 20 questions soon, and though I refuse to conform to any set number of questions, I think it's time we head for the home stretch, so I'm cutting a few questions I have deemed unworthy. Since Fanboy is busy with his dissertation, we're gonna go the lightning round and blaze toward the finish line.

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy, Do you have any tattoos? If you do, can we see? If you have one and don't feel like showing, please describe it/them. If you don't have a tattoo, would you like to? If so, what would it be?

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy likes this.
  14. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

Feb 25, 2011
    I have entertained the idea of getting a tribal tattoo on my forearm at various points in my life, but decided against it. Tattoos seem to me to be one of those things that sound like a badass idea as an adolescent, then once you start thinking about it the appeal rapidly evaporates. I like having my sleeves rolled up so it'd constantly be on show, and I don't think it'd suit how I look, and it wouldn't look great in an office setting.

Plus I see loads of people posting their Mass Effect tattoos over on /r/masseffect and I realise the long-term consequences of having to live with a tattoo. If it means something to you, then great, but I can't help but feel if someone inquired about my tattoo, especially if it were based on a video game reference, I'd make myself look like an idiot.

The Shadow Emperor and K'Kruhk like this.
  15. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    Ha. I've never desired a tattoo.

Now on to the questionnaire James Lipton borrowed from Benard Pivot, who was inspired by Proust's answers, and is now being ripped off by me, your host.

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy, what is your favorite word?

16. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

Feb 25, 2011
    My favourite word is titillate, because it has tit in it, and tits are very titillating. It's a noun and a description of that noun rolled into one.

My favourite bird is the blue tit, because it reminds me of Liara.

17. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    ImNotAStarWarsFanboy likes this.
  18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Me either. I don't like needles or pain nearly that much.

****ing. Awesome.

K'Kruhk likes this.
  19. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

Feb 25, 2011
    My least favourite word is Instagram, because it's retarded.

20. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
  21. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

Feb 25, 2011
  22. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
  23. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

Feb 25, 2011