main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Gaming Diagon Alley: The Official Harry Potter Thread/Hogwarts Legacy

Discussion in 'Community' started by Kessel Runner, Jul 26, 2001.

1. Condition2SQ

Condition2SQ Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Considering that Rowling herself did almost no justice to Voldermort's death in the book--he dies, and the book is over after four pages of fluff--I don't see what beef anybody could possibly have with the film's portrayal.

Bacon164 likes this.
  2. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    ?

You continue to confuse me.

Anyways, just reminded me of this line! :D

We did it, we bashed them, wee Potter’s the one,
    And Voldy’s gone moldy, so now let’s have fun!

3. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I actually really liked Michael Gambon as Dumbledore more than Richard Harris *ducks tomatoes*

4. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Yeah, he wasn't that remarkable in POA & OOTP, borderline bad in GOF.... but in HBP and DH I thought Gambon was really good. And those were the movies where it counted the most (besides his intro).

NYCitygurl likes this.
  5. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    You ain't the only one.

6. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    And really, the later ones were my favorites. 6 and the 7s blew me away; I was kinda meh up to that point. Should probably go rewatch them all at some point ...

Summer Dreamer likes this.
  7. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Dumbledore's wardrobe was too grey. He should have been fabulous and eat lemon drops and smile while insulting people and just drop how his brother used inappropriate spells to goats in a conversation.

After watching A Very Potter Senior Year I got a big urge to read the books again. It has been years since my last time in Hogwarts. Yes, I have been listening to Stephen Fry's readings (three times in three years), watched the movies and read oh so much fan material, but it's been far too long since I actually read them. So I took my 11-year old Harry Potter ja viisasten kivi from a shelf and noticed it's... loved look. The corners are rubbed, the binding is beginning to loosen, the pages are yellowing and there are stains about everywhere. Well, it should be fine for another 12 or so reads.

For some reason I was really entertained by Vernon Dursley's behavior in the first chapters. Seriously, he stops going to work when the letters start coming, nails the letterbox and tries to hit the nail with a piece of cake Petunia gave him. Next day when more letters come he blocks the doors and windows and whistles.

"“Wouldn’t it be better just to go home, dear?” Aunt Petunia suggested timidly, hours later, but Uncle Vernon didn’t seem to hear her. Exactly what he was looking for, none of them knew. He drove them into the middle of a forest, got out, looked around, shook his head, got back in the car, and off they went again. The same thing happened in the middle of a plowed field, halfway across a suspension bridge, and at the top of a multilevel parking garage."

Finally he just hops out of the car, goes somewhere and comes back with a gun he just bought and declares that they are going to the island. If they had got more letters the next day instead of Hagrid, what would he have done next?

8. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Gambon was needed for the action scenes but Harris was better as Dumbledore the crackpot fool. Okay yes Gambon did some crackpot things but Harris was better. I also hated the grey Dumbledore in POA to the end of the series. Dumbledore was supposed to wear colorful clothing. Grey? Meh.

9. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    To be completely honest... neither of the Dumbledore actors behaved like the zany old wizard I had imagined reading the books.

I don't know if it was the actors' faults so much as the direction the films took. Big Screen Dumbledore just seemed like a different character altogether.

Summer Dreamer, Rew and Bacon164 like this.
  10. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    Agree with the coffee chick do I.

Summer Dreamer likes this.
  11. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    [​IMG]

That being said, I feel that Michael Gambon's Dumbledore suited the later books, when we find out Dumbledore's backstory.

12. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    The yelling at Harry over the goblet was ridiculous and not how I imagined Dumbledore behaving in the book, especially since I'm sure he was supposed to know all along that Harry didn't do it.

But generally I much prefer Gambon to Harris. Dumbledore was supposed to be over 100 IIRC but he was still supposed to be fairly energetic until HBP; Harris' Dumbledore always seemed like he would rather be in front of the fire in a rocking chair.

13. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Neither actor was a suitable choice.

14. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    I thought Gambon's performance was magnificent in PoA. Came to the closest to the fashionable charm that Dumbledore possessed in the book. He went downhill fast in GoF and OOTP, but his restraint in the final three films led to respectable results. Overall, I also think Gambon gave Dumbledore an energy needed to represent the character that Harris never could have provided.

But yeah... neither were exactly great representatives of Rowling's character.

Mar17swgirl likes this.
  15. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    I quite liked Gambon in POA. He was just the right blend of quirkiness and wisdom there. But overall I think he was very much miscast - as was Harris (simply too passive and too frail-looking).

My ideal Dumbledore would've been Stephen Fry. Sure, he's a bit young for the role, but it's nothing decent make-up couldn't fix. And I just know he could do all Dumbledore's facets magnificently - the kindness, the wisdom, the twinkle in the eye, the sternness, the power, the action, the quirkiness...

Not to mention he's also very tall, has blue eyes, his nose is broken, he's a genius, and he's gay. :p Let's face it, he IS Dumbledore. :p

Summer Dreamer and Everton like this.
  16. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Would Ian McKellen have been a better Dumbledore than both? Or Peter O'Toole? After Harris passed away his family wanted him to play Dumbledore but the producers thought he was too old.

17. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Dumbledore and Gandalf could be twins :p

18. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    They could've gotten Liam Neeson to play Dumbledore, and then make OOTP a bizarre Schindler's List reunion with Ralph.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  19. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Dumbledore is very different from Gandalf.
    They're old, they have beards and pointy hats, they use magic, they have weird (though different) quirks... that's all.

20. TahiriVeilaSolo69

TahiriVeilaSolo69 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    I agree with many in here about Gambon's performance in the earlier films vs his performance in the later films. I honestly don't know who I would've preferred to have in Dumbledore's shoes other then Gambon...meditate on this, I will.

21. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
  22. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    I rewatched those scenes, and I have to say Harris still fit Dumbledore better, beside those fighting scenes.

23. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I've never read the books, but something about "zany old wizard" made me think of Walken.

Bacon164 likes this.
  24. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Why would they want to re-release them

25. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    What, 3D?