main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How is Darth Maul even still alive?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Graves101, Apr 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Graves101

Graves101 Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 28, 2013
    It is known he was cut in half, but it kind of makes me wonder how he even survived for so long, considering it is shown that was cut almost up to his rib-cage, meaning he has half a stomach, and has not trying to sound funny, but has no genitals or anus, which would contaminate what's left of his body, and eventually kill him. Not only that, he survived for that many years, on a lower body of garbage, which should be totally unable to sustain his supposedly doomed body, and by feeding off of small rodents that entered his cave. Ok correct me if I'm mistaken, but where does the food he eat go, considering he has no lower body? By eating, and it not going anywhere, wouldn't it technically not only serve no purpose, but kill Maul since his body cannot even let it out?

I just don't see any realistic way Maul could've survived that long, with that kind of injury, and baffling prosthetics. Darth Vader only lost his legs, not his entire lower body, so he could obviously survive.

2. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    He survived by means of "George wills it".

The explanation given is just that he used his hatred for Obi-Wan to tap into the Dark Side, but yeah that's pretty much BS.

3. Death T

Death T Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 12, 2012
    I think Lucas killed Maul in The Phantom Menace the way he did to make certain to the audience that he did in fact die. Maul's revival in TCW is just Lucas changing his mind because kids would want to watch him in the show.

SerRoel likes this.
  4. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    The part I don't get is how the heck did he manage to get from Naboo to Lotho Minor with half a body?? But hey, I'm glad it happened.

Original Oatmeal likes this.
  5. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    The Clone Wars comic The Sith Hunters actually covered this issue. Maul has a flashback to the moment after Obi-Wan bisected him in the Theed reactor. Apparently his hatred of Kenobi and his prowess in the Dark Side allowed Maul to cling to life, and he fell into some liquid at the bottom of the shaft, where his living upper half was sucked into a garbage container and sent on a ship to Lotho Minor. There, he was discovered by Morley and brought to the depths where he constructed himself an arachnoid abdomen and legs using the Force.

I'm not even going to bother trying to provide a scientific explanation on how Maul would have been able to survive without a gastrointestinal tract. The thought is perplexing, and the implications rather...unpleasant. Knowing this, I found the tea scene with Maul and Vizsla in Eminence all the more amusing.

6. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    [face_laugh]

That never occurred to me.

7. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Filoni mentioned that there is a yet-to-be-revealed explanation for Maul's survival.

8. The Shadow Emperor

The Shadow Emperor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 29, 2012
    I see this question brought up so many times, and every time I direct them to The Sith Hunters to find out. Though it's a bit lacking in the art department it's a pretty good story. And no I'm not just saying that because Savage is one of the lead characters. ;)

9. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    I found the art in the four-part comic series Darth Maul--Death Sentence much better than The Sith Hunters, and the story was pretty decent too. Savage gets another Jedi kill in case you're wondering!

cwustudent and Original Oatmeal like this.
  10. The Shadow Emperor

The Shadow Emperor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 29, 2012
    Already have it, and love it--t'was a great Christmas present. Though I didn't like how Savage spent a whole issue and most of two more frozen in carbonite, and then when he's unfrozen he's drawn with his left horn back. Errors like that bug the heck outta me.

cwustudent likes this.
  11. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012

[​IMG]

There you go. There's more but that's all I could get. His hate kept him awake long enough to save himself on Lotho Minor. The horrible diseases and "leaving himself open to the darkside" made him loose his mind, however you're forgetting he's a pure Sith Lord. He's not normal.

12. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    To the OP: I've been asking that question for over a year now.

If it were actually possible in any universe that one could defy death simply by being pissed off enough, I think we'd all be in trouble.

DrDre, Original Oatmeal and 07jonesj like this.
  13. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    That actually seems to imply that Talzin was keeping him alive somehow. [face_thinking]

14. CaptainRex115

CaptainRex115 Jedi Padawan star 3

Jan 11, 2013
    Its cause he's the reincarnation of the Son of Mortis

15. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    Maul was born before the Son died?

Oh, and the Son was at least a million years old, and likely a descendant of the Celestials. Maul's power is truly insignificant compared to the Ones.

16. CaptainRex115

Jan 11, 2013
    Maul only resurfaced after the death of the son of mortis. before that, he was believed to be dead by all. TPM maul wasnt the Son of Mortis, but him reincarnated in TCW is because anakin failed to kill the son of mortis with the sword... IMO of course

17. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
  18. Cevan

Cevan Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 16, 2013
    Erm, Maul is just Maul. He's not the Son. All the Ones are dead.

19. CaptainRex115

Jan 11, 2013
    The Son was only 'killed' by anakins lightsaber.... Same voice actor, Same quotes, Maul comes back as soon as he dies, same goals (son says he is not a sith but he is darthside, while maul is sith however hes his own faction but a darksider), filoni has said that maul's survival was yet to be explained meaning its somethign unexpected most likely.... I dunno the connections are too strong for this to be coincidental. unfortunately we will never know

20. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Or maybe Son kept Maul alive at the end of TPM.

Darth_Pevra and Original Oatmeal like this.
  21. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Honestly, guys...I get that it was the same voice actor, but so were Obi-Wan and Plo Kloon, and there's no connection.

And while I've come to terms with Maul's survival, which I initially found so asinine that I stopped watching season 4--the only thing that could make me rage over it again would be an association with Mortis.

Mzukiller and Original Oatmeal like this.
  22. CaptainRex115

Jan 11, 2013
    ^its more than just the same VA... I made some pretty decent points if I do say so myself. There is a possibility of somewhat of a connection in my opinion the fact that filoni said we would see more mortis type stuff alone with his implication that there would be a focused story on how maul survived leads me to believe heavily that the son of mortis was somehow involved in this

23. Jedi Master Chuck

Jedi Master Chuck Jedi Master star 2

Mar 19, 2013
    My only question remaining really was about his lack of a digestive system to filter waste.

I think the only suitable explanation really is the dark side of the force.

As even Palpatine says, the dark side of the force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural. I'd actually buy that Maul didn't physically feed off of anything in his solitude on Lotho Minor, aside from water possibly. The reason we eat is to provide our body with nutrients, burned to produce energy. Consider that truly deep hatred connects Maul extremely closely with the dark side of the force. Essentially, the force itself is providing Maul with the energy to survive, barely clinging to sanity.

It doesn't make sense in our world, but neither does lifting space ships out of a swamp with the wave of a hand. An interesting topic relating to this subject is the "new force abilities introduced in TCW" thread. As we've seen, the force goes far beyond the ability to push things around and enhance a person's senses. Having also seen Mortis, The Ones, The Nightsisters, and Mother Talzin featured prominently in this series, I think it's pretty clear that The Force is extremely versatile and enables seemingly supernatural abilities by our world's standards.

I personally have no qualms with his survival given the extreme things we've seen accomplished via the force. I think it's very consistent with the other things we've seen. Darth Maul is "cheating death" as we already know the Dark Side enables (though I don't necessarily think this is the same exact force concept used by Plagueis).

cwustudent likes this.
  24. Darth_Quintonis

Darth_Quintonis Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 31, 2013
    I know it's not exactly the same injury, in a sense, this one is worse, because a light saber would cauterize and stop one's bleeding completely. It's still evidence that humans can survive such an injury. I know the guy has a stump left of his one leg. Besides, does anyone know what the internal anatomy of a Zabrak looks like? Yeah, I didn't think so.
    http://www.today.com/id/26834245/#.UVsIaXBMaI4 Here's another example and a better one as well: http://metro.co.uk/2007/07/09/miracle-man-walks-again-513316/

25. K'Kruhk

K'Kruhk Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2011
    Maul is not the Son reincarnated. So what they asked the same voice-actor to do Maul's lines, Sam Witwer voices good villains. And the 'chains' line is an old Sith quote (or something like that), so it's not disbelieving that both of them recited it. As we've been shown the Darth Maul we've seen on this show is the same Darth Maul who lost his junk on Naboo. In the short-story Restraint Talzin takes some of Maul's blood and encases it in that necklace, that is how she knew where Maul was all of this time. There's barely a connection at all, people are thinking way too much into this.

And what has Anakin killing the Son with only his lightsaber got to do with Maul?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.