main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V The Old Republic MMO: The New Official Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Havac , Oct 7, 2012.

1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    So is that Hutt mount thing just an AFD promo, or is it actual AFD content where you can temporarily ride Hutts?

2. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    I have a question guys. Im new to this game, a while back i downloaded the trial version, before the f2p version came out, when i did i created a sith warrior, of the sith race, and basically that's it.

Recently i just downloaded and installed the f2p version. I know that the Sith race can not be used on the f2p version, however when i began this version, i was still able to play my Sith race character that i created in the trial.

Is this a bug? Or is this allowed?

3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    There are no race/class restrictions on F2P.

4. StarWarsFan91

Oct 14, 2008
  5. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Well, that's new.

6. Kylun

Kylun Jedi Master star 2

Sep 26, 2008
    From what I've heard, and it makes sense, a lot of stuff got carried over from before the game went F2P. They didn't delete pre-existing characters, or empty out your bank, etc. Any new characters you create, however, will have the F2P restrictions.

7. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
  8. LawgSkrak

LawgSkrak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 23, 1999
    Has anyone done any complete video walkthroughs of each part of the game that I can watch? Even if they are basically doing commentaries over the vids?
    I can't play the game because my video card is crap, and it doesn't allow you to play with the graphics turned down (unlike pretty much every other MMO I've played).
    I'm planning on getting a new video card eventually, but am really in no rush.

I wouldn't mind finding a good complete video walkthrough I can burn to DVD and skim through to get a feel for the game though.

9. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Well, there are some full class storyline vids on YouTube, if that's the sort of thing you mean.

LawgSkrak likes this.
  10. Cronal

Cronal Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2009
    On Free to Play, I was saddened when I couldn't take a Chiss or Red Sith...but alas... Anyway, one can find all the cutscenes in various videos on YouTube. Just cutscenes. There are some walkthroughs though but I find the cutscenes to be more relevant. An example is this video:

LawgSkrak likes this.
  11. LawgSkrak

LawgSkrak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 23, 1999
    Cool, I will check those out.

12. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Phew, I created one of both just before the FTP came out. But I still can't play the game properly in FTP, the XP gain is nonexistent. Once they change that I'll play it again. Surely they can see that if the player can't level by questing and everything else is restricted there's not much to do? Or that could be exactly how they foresaw it.

13. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Jedi Knight has always been my favorite.

14. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    The impression I've got from people who've discussed the differences in game is that there seems to be a general attitude that F2P is really just a glorified free trial, as most people seem to have the view that it's intended to make people want to sign up fully.

15. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    A free trial is better than nothing at all.

16. Cronal

Dec 17, 2009
    Really, I think its as Zor said. Its made to encourage people to buy the full game. Its like the fact that you can't make Chiss or Red Sith. Or can only have two active character slots. Thats pretty much them saying "Want to play Chiss? Pay for it!" or "Want to have slots for all the classes? Pay for it!" Or "Want a speeder early? Pay for it!" Which is kind of understandable in some respects. At the moment, I got a Republic Soldier and Sith Inquisitor as my two characters so I have someone on separate sides. I did try Smuggler but closed that character slot in favour of the soldier.

On XP gain, I don't know, I havent found it to be too bad actually. Havent been playing regularly but after I got the F2P I pretty much went to level 8 quite quickly. I was almost leveling up every day I played the game... mind you, a couple of times I got lost and went into mobs so that might be explaining it :p

Indeed, free playing is better than none. I sadly just don't have the time or finances to justify paying for it constantly. Its one of my biggest problems with MMOs is when you pay for it then you feel like you have to play in that entire time otherwise you are just not getting your moneys worth back. And with general life issues... sometimes I just don't end up playing for a bit. Like recently, I hadn't touched the game in a month or so? So, that would have been money down the drain for me had I been paying for it. Might change in the future when I get some more freedom with money and time to play it but thats how it is at the moment.

17. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    If you logged out in a rest zone and have been accumulating rest experience, you'll probably be shocked how fast you then level up that way. :eek:

I hadn't really noticed it before, but with the recent Double XP weekends they've been having in run-up to the expansion, I've suddenly been amazed how much I've been leveling. I subsequently bit the bullet and bought one of those XP Boosts from the $$$ Market, and... just wow, I levelled from 45 to 48 in a couple of hours. [face_laugh]

Made the final boss of the Inquisitor's story a pushover after having been having some trouble beating the class quests around 40ish.

18. StarWarsFan91

Oct 14, 2008
    That woman sure has an unusual case of red eye....i wonder why.....

Someone should give her some eye drops, or better yet, take her to a doctor. Humans are not meant to have red eyes like that normally.

19. StarWarsFan91

Oct 14, 2008
    Well my f2p Sith pureblood just unlocked the legacy system, i know that if your character reaches lvl 50 while having an existing legacy system, said character's race can be unlocked for other classes as well.

However would that work on f2p with my pureblood? Or would it not because of the f2p restrictions i can't create anymore purebloods post-trial?

Then again a legacy system on f2p sure won't be big, because we f2p players only get 2 character slots per server.

And on the discussion above about f2p simply being a cheap way for people to buy the game, i really don't care. Yes sure things are limited, but im not that interested in the game to spend extra money on it, and im really mainly playing the game for the storylines. I'm grateful for what i am given, its nice that all the storylines are free. As darklordoftech mentioned, its better then nothing. At least its better then WoW's f2p which only allows you up to lvl 15. Pretty cool that i can reach lvl 50 on TOR just on f2p. Would i be happy if we f2p got more stuff? Yes of course, and i hope they do, but if they don't im not going to throw a fit about it.

20. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010
    The double XP allows you to level really, really fast, especially if you use the appropriate tricks to manipulate leveling - ex. soloing heroic 2+ missions and prioritizing the easier area missions. Though it does have the side effect that you get under-geared kind of rapidly (not a problem if your legacy includes a cybertech sugar-daddy for your alts though).

21. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Yeah, the XP from heroics on double XP has been nuts. I've had some quests give 60k just for handing them in, let alone what else I earned killing mobs.

22. Cronal

Dec 17, 2009
    Really? Wow :eek:I ended up logging out in some weird locations because I was in a hurry. I think I logged out in the caverns of Korriban for my Inquisitor... during that initial questline. And for my Republic Trooper, I logged out sometimes within or near the Separatist bases mostly. A few times I ended up logging out from Sith or Republic camps.

23. StarWarsFan91

Oct 14, 2008
    I think a good change for f2p is better communication with others. I would prefer if we could send more then 1 message per minute.

24. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Will there be more TOR comic/novels in the future?

darthzac14 likes this.
  25. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    Is this Rise of the Hutt Cartel gonna be like any other update or will it cost something? I've seen opportunities to pre-order is but what about just downloading it like any other update?