main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO Lucasarts to be shut down by Disney

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by spicer, Mar 21, 2013.

1. DarthBrian

DarthBrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    **** you, Disney. >_<

2. Scars Unseen

Scars Unseen Jedi Padawan

Feb 28, 2013
    I'm not sad about this. LucasArts hasn't developed anything noteworthy in a long time. Maybe the upcoming games might have been decent, but I wouldn't have cared to place any bets. Maybe Obsidian can make that RPG they were wanting to develop now.

Life, spicer and 07jonesj like this.
  3. DarthBrian

Apr 9, 2002
    Maybe not. But 1313 looked promising.

[​IMG]

RIP

Padme501st and spicer like this.
  4. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    So did TFU2. Perhaps 1313 was also 4-5 hours long.

Both games looked really pretty, but TFU2 had no substance.

spicer and TrandoJedi like this.
  5. DarthBrian

Apr 9, 2002
    I never thought TFU2 looked great. Especially after I hated TFU1.

6. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    Oh, I liked the original game. It wasn't great by any means, but it was enjoyable. I think I run through that game just throwing every enemy around the level.

7. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I didn't care for TFU1 either. All the button-mashing in certain patterns to kill bad guys got boring. The novel wasn't bad though.

8. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    I'm saddened by this news, but also not to surprised. My quest to own all Lucasarts games someday has now moved to a priority! I hope this means games like the KOTOR I & II collection, Empire at War Gold, and Best of PC/Fan Favorites will be taken of the shelves?

Lucasarts made alot of excellent games, TFUI and II wasn't the best showcase of that. 1313 and First Assault looked intriguing and I was looking forward to them without getting overhyped as I did for The Force Unleashed. I wonder if TOR will be affected in any way?

9. DarthBrian

Apr 9, 2002
    Terrible level design. To make things challenging in certain areas they would just warp enemies in around you. This was most prevalent in the Felucia level where you could literally see them warp in right behind you. Because the point of the level was to make you fight through all the guys to get to the shaman/shield guy at the end and take him out to make them stop warping in. Bad bad bad level design.

07jonesj likes this.
  10. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    Well, LucasArts isn't making games, but they'll still be lending the license to other developers. I doubt those games will stop being produced and sold.

TOR is done by BioWare, so it'll probably be fine.

11. Reveen

Reveen Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 4, 2012
    Hey remember when this company screwed over Obsidian by rushing Kotor 2 for a holiday release?

Heh heh heh. Burn it down! I like that smell!

Life and 07jonesj like this.
  12. DarthBrian

Apr 9, 2002
    Well, if Disney licenses a new KOTOR RPG or frankly any Star Wars RPG to Obsidian, I will buy it at a high price.
    But I'm still pissed off. >_<

13. Reveen

Reveen Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 4, 2012
    Considering the hype that surrounded 1313, I wouldn't be surprised if Disney pulled some of the design staff for it to keep working on it or handed it off to another company.

And maybe if it falls under a dev team that didn't make Force Unleashed 2 it won't be a trainwreck!

07jonesj likes this.
  14. hunter77

hunter77 Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 8, 2012
    Nooo ;-;

This could be a very bad or good thing though.

Good: Lucasarts is dead, but hopefully Disney is very willing and plan on giving the license to other studios. This way we would get multiple Star Wars games, by different studios like Obsidian. Imagine getting Star Wars RPG, RTS, FPS, Adventure by different developers. This would make sence for Disney aswell, since it would cost them nothing to rent their license. Yet they would gain a percentage of the profit... in other words, free money pretty much. And we would be lucky for all the new games :D

Bad: Disney isn't interested in renting the license, and we get no more Star Wars games. Except maybe for some fan made projects, and small social games like Star Wars Angry birds... if that happens, well i dunno what to do *cries* ;-;

spicer likes this.
  15. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    As others have said, if someone more competent gets the SW license, I think we have nothing to regret. Unless if you are into SW Kinect [face_sick]

16. boomx2sjk

boomx2sjk Jedi Master star 2

Nov 9, 2012
  17. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    I kinda laughed at Lucasarts isn't making games, I took it literally for a moment. I thought about the past 10 years of Lucasarts and how alot of their best games weren't developed by them but just published. I want Raven Software to do more Jedi Knight stuff! If they are still around that is...

I always see PC Lucasarts games cheap at almost any retail store from Staples/Office-Depot to Wal-Mart and Target. I even got Empire at War Gold for 9.99 at Staples and got Battlefront II for free! I felt pretty awesome...

18. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    100 Internets for you, sir.

19. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Well, TFU 1 wasnt too bad but yeah they ate the big one with TFU 2, Star Wars Kinect, Star Wars Battlefront 3 and 4 and the lousy clone wars video games. Lucasarts was producing crap, but still, it comes down to management and funding and their is were they went south. Disney is going to do stuff in house which makes sense. So we have the new star wars animation being done in house and now lucasarts is gone. Dark Horse ?????????????makes me wonder. They have Marvel as the in house comic company. Time will tell. We'll know by either the end of the year or nex year

20. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    I certainly hope not

21. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    LucasArts is gone but new games will be done by other devs (they're licensing now), so that's not in-house.

I suspect Marvel will gain the license for comics after 2013 and the contract is over.

22. Son of a Bith

Feb 28, 2013

07jonesj likes this.
  23. TheFoot

TheFoot Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 5, 2011
    I can't say I love the latest Star Wars games that have come from LucasArts, but this definitely sucks for the studio and the staff. I wasn't very impressed with Force Unleashed or that latest Kinect crap.

I will say that Disney's endeavors in video games have been pretty crappy though. Considering how they just ripped off Skylanders and all that, I'm not sure they really *get* what's going on in video games. I hate how Angry Birds Star Wars is probably the most successful SW title happening right now.

Here's to hoping Disney actually listens to the fans a little and brings back some classic stuff like the X-Wing series. With all the new advancements in games a new X-Wing or TIE Fighter type game would be quite impressive. Or at least something like Rogue Squadron, which I also loved for different reasons.

But...if they start making a silly crossover game with Disney characters in the SW universe (like the Kingdom Hearts games), I'm going to hate them royally. They alreay have toys of this kind of stuff, and I bet Disney views games as just another merchandising tool like toys.

Ugh....

Padme501st, spicer and 07jonesj like this.
  24. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    Gah, don't do that to me. Imagining a starship game with today's graphics...

TheFoot and Son of a Bith like this.
  25. Son of a Bith

Feb 28, 2013
    I've been rallying for the return of the space combat simulator since... since it faded into obscurity.

spicer, 07jonesj and TheFoot like this.