main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    ^ It's also quite possible that simply Classic Luke Skywalker on a cover in his X-Wing outfit, or classic Han Solo & Chewie on the cover of something like "Scoundrels" sells better than, say, a book that has Mara Jade or Jacen Solo or random EU Sith Bad Guy on the cover.

2. Darth_Quintonis

Darth_Quintonis Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 31, 2013
    I agree with you, the only SW novel even on the radar right now is "Kenobi", which could have been planned to coincide with and lead into an Obi-wan spin-off starring McGregor. It would only make sense.

3. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Yeah, I know. This is a retcon ;)

darthzac14 likes this.
  4. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Dont forget Crucible... thats an upcoming Star Wars book set further into the post RotJ time period. "Sword of the Jedi" was upcoming series, I personally havent heard it was cancled though I also havent heard anything new about it either since before Disney bought LFL. Also there is the comic Legacy Volume 2 series set 138 years in the future which just got its first issue and was announced and released after the purchase.

After NJO series we got a lot of more random Star Wars books till Dark Nest came out... I think it was a two year time gap. This could just be the authors taking time to plot out the next series, it could be them waiting for word from Disney, it could be orders from Disney to postpone for a more ep VII release date, it could be the EU will get cancled or that it is about to become an ongoining but alternate universe. Fact is we just dont know what it means... for all we know nothing is changing to everything is.

Simply put lack of a big new series right after the previous series ended isnt something new, we've always gotten a twoish year time gap between the series. Its clear Disney and LFL are reviewing LFL as a whole and all projects that where in the works but this happens with virtually every change in leadership. Fact is the books have generated just about 2 billion dollars in their history, so I doubt they're going away. It cant be clearly forseen exactly how it will effect the EU it created but past trends imply it will be reworked to fit the movies needs at the veru least, however with Disney wanting to make spinoff movies and stuff beyond just a new trilogy its clear at the very least the EU will be at the very least borrowed from for ideas or at the most we might get something adapted (thinking more elements of an exsisting EU story then the story as a whole).

Anyways, at the very least I suspect Disney/LFL are reviewing everything Star Wars related. The books will clearly survive since they make lots of money, how edited the EU they created and when we get the next ones that weren't in the works already is the question. At this point in time we simply cant do anything but guess... my guess is the EU as a whole will be mostly thrown out but in many cases stuff from it will be saved and highly adapted to fit into Disney's choosen direction (possibilities of what could be saved include characters, tech, planets, concepts, etc...). What gets retconned might later be adapted into new stories after episode IX however (so for example sure the Vong might get thrown out but that doesnt mean they or something like them couldnt appear after the ST). As to the next books I suspect we wont get any new series based on the EU, unless Disney lets the timelines diverge but that wont likely happen till closer to ep VII and if this happens I suspect it wont be because Disney is being nice to the EU but more since Disney will be using the books to test ideas with. I'm more inclined to believe though that we'll get new books that are episode VII friendly though since it would be hard to manage quality control over two timelines and we just witnessed with their animation department that LFL would rather focus their limited resources on their new direction to spread their resources and branch out in every direction.

5. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    mmm I'm surprised Crucible is going ahead ....I wouldn't be surprised if it gets pulled soon ......

6. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Crucible is already available for pre-order with a release date July 9th... I doubt they'll pull it due to this.

7. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Both Del Rey & Darke Horse are not internal LFL owned companies. Both companies will have contracts signed to protect their interests. When those contracts expire is somewhat up in the air and not public knowledge. Dark Horse seems to be rumored to expire in 2014 sometime.

Also Kenobi was planned and in the works way before the sale to Disney went through. I doubt it would serve as any kind of tie in to a movie that wouldn't be happening until at least 2016. Yes, I'm assuming the first film they will put out will be Ep 7.

As for not having a big multi book series on the go, that was another decision made way before the sale. Fan reaction to the huge multi book series was somewhat negative so Del Rey & Lucasbooks decided to try a different direction. It had nothing to do with this considering that 4-6 books in the forward timeline were still in the works before the sale.

8. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    lucasarts is being shut down, what does this mean for the eu?

9. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    It means they havent made a good game soley by themselves in over a decade, and all there successful games since then where just colaborations with the other company pulling most of the weight and having the creative minds responcible for the games. It means in the short term we'll get more cheap Star War app game like Angry Birds Star Wars, but in the long run if Disney/LFL wants a bigger game they'll just contract the work out to other game companies. Simply put, why pay for a next to useless company anyways, nothing prevents LFL from directly working with lets say Bioware on future TOR expansions instead of Lucasarts. Lucasarts peaked in the 90s and has never truly gained their mojo back, it was other companies that truly gave us all the good games since then.

Its effect on the EU is non existant. Virtually every successful game created EU character got adapted beyond just the game and into books and comics too. Episode VII and future spinoff movies will be the desiding factor in how the EU will get effected, the closing down of Lucasarts is no more important to the EU then Bantom books or Marvel no longer publishing Star Wars books and comics respectivly atm (we'll see if Marvel gets the rights to Star Wars again though)... the EU carried on in those cases and will here too until said EU effects the movies directly.

Beyond the games 1313 and Frontal Assault likely never coming out, I cant think of how it would effect the EU

10. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I can't say I'm disappointed. Lucas Arts just seemed to struggle to make a really good Star Wars game. The actual number of genuinely good SW games they’ve made since they came to be can probably be counted on one and a half hands.

black_saber and The Hellhammer like this.
  11. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    The Super series was good on the SNES.

Ryus likes this.
  12. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    Oh hell yes it was :) Many memories of listening to my discman and playing those games for long hours.
    [​IMG]

Ryus, Krueger and Jcuk like this.
  13. Krueger

Aug 9, 2004
    ^ Don't worry, the entire Super Star Wars trilogy is definitely on my list of good games they've created. ;) Unfortunately, the bad list is longer. Much longer.

14. Jeff Vader

Jeff Vader Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 6, 2012
    Just finished reading The Last Jedi. Now that has a lot of references to elements of time manipulation (sorry I don't know how to "spoiler cover" something, an inbox would help me lol) I'm guessing that the book was done way before the ST news sprang up but its out there in the EU now so...could that be the way they split it and retain the integrity?

15. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    how does it relate to the concept of flow walking, plus Waru makes the option of other dimensions.

16. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Yeah, I wouldn't read that much into the apparent demise of Sword of the Jedi. It's much more likely to be because the last two "...of the Jedi" series didn't go over that well than because of the ST.

Although this is certainly one reason I do hope the EU is overwritten - overall quality aside, the current post-ROTJ books have basically written themselves into a hole.

17. DARTH_DEEZY

DARTH_DEEZY Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 4, 2011
    it means we won't get to play 1313

18. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    There is some interesting facts ...with the big 3 almost certain to return that means EP7 will be around 45aby which is at the end of the EU time line so....

1. The EU has filled the 40yrs after ROTJ with history & stories ...The EU has filled the gap between EP6 & EP7
    2. Some fans hate the EU & also hate the PT that's no reason to throw out the EU as it's no reason to dismiss the PT as not star wars as some have said
    3. Why bother rewriting 40yrs of history if EP7 contradicts all before it
    4. Someone said that the EU will stay intact up to the point where EP7 starts then the rest of the EU wiped but christ if they start at 45aby none of the EU can be wiped
    5. If like most of the EU haters have said that 99% of the audience knows nothing about the EU then you can easily come in at 45aby & tell a story "here you are at that point " 40yrs of history tells you some characters are dead but only ONE ( Chewbacca ) is known to the main audience & like George Lucas said to Hamill & Fisher if you don't want to do it we will just write you out well Chewbacca may not be apart of the story so he was just written out ! .

19. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    My take on this is that the EU has/will played/play its part. Now Lucas could've given the nod for this idea and that idea in a book or what have you, but as far as that material is concerned its just other people expanding on their own ideas about Star Wars. It by no way in the slightest mean that that is what the films will follow. Chewy died in a book? Well so what.

20. kubricklynch

kubricklynch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2012
    Not everyone who thinks they won't follow the EU, is an EU hater. I've read tons tons of EU, I just don't think Disney is gonna be limited by books which have a fraction of the audience of the movies. And it's way more complicated to to follow the EU than you make it out to seem. Heck, Lucas couldn't even do it in the PT in era when there was literally no EU written. He had to be convinced by Steve Sansweet just to keep the name Coruscant.

EDIT: Also, even if the ST is at 45 ABY, that doesn't mean none of the EU can be wiped. All it takes is Han or Luke having different children or a the crawl saying, "The galaxy has been at peace since the fall of the Empire.

21. Krueger

Aug 9, 2004
    I'm not an EU hater. I’ve loved bits and pieces of the EU over the years. However, keeping the EU in line with the ST will clearly tie the hands of the makers, and in a pretty big way. I would rather they be given freedom that keeping the EU in line wouldn't allow. That's why I don't really want them to adhere to the EU. I think it is a completely unrealistic scenario and goes against filmmaking in almost every way. Star Wars is a film franchise first and foremost. It wasn’t a series of books that were adapted into films. This should be reflected in what takes the highest priority: keeping the EU intact, or making the best films you possibly can.

22. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    http://www.inentertainment.co.uk/20130403/star-wars-episode-7-possible-jaina-solo-candidates/ Heres some rumors on who could play jaina solo, But then again it could be different children from the orignal stories, nothing to do with the EU!

I think disney is trying to decide on whether its an orignal story or EU for the sequel trilogy. Hell we might actually have a combination of both since lucas did canon some of the post return of the jedi stuff.

Infact he did canon Dark Empire!

23. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    He oversaw it, to a degree (which basically consisted of him banning ideas he disapproved of, and OKing others). He also oversaw the very basics of the Thrawn Trilogy, and the New Jedi Order series.

However he's never said that any of the EU is "more canonical" than any other bits.

24. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    I've quoted before that I'm not a fan of the EU. I'm not anti-EU its just never interested me. I had a friend who read some of the books and remember him mentioning Thrawn and the Imperial Ship building yards on Correlia (which sounded kinda cool) but I just think the EU will be what it always has been. As in, it will have NO bearing on the story of the films, but will expand on the IDEAS of the films once they've been released.

25. kubricklynch

kubricklynch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2012
    They already said it was going to be an original story. They're done deciding.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.