main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO Lucasarts to be shut down by Disney

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by spicer, Mar 21, 2013.

1. TheFoot

TheFoot Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 5, 2011
    You guys are speaking my language. I want high definition uber-realistic X-wing cockpit and photon torpedoes. They need to quit with the lightsaber crap and get back to basics.

2. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    I'm dissapointed by this. I have loved every Star Wars game I have from Lucasarts. What was so bad about TFU2 btw? I really liked the first game on PS2 and I have read the novel of TF2 and thought it was good so what's bad about the game? I don't actually have it yet.

3. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    5 hours long. Enemies are extremely repetitive to fight. Story is terrible (the novel handles it much better than the game!).

4. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    Love that 1st one, though. Still play it. Got used to the clunky camera pretty quickly.

07jonesj likes this.
  5. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    Same, as I said Force Grip is the most fun I've had with the Force in a SW game.

The story is pretty good too, and Starkiller is given a great ending IMO (that TFU2 tried to ruin). The two DLCs that have you play ANH and ESB are pretty fun too.

6. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013
    I'm sure this will make somebody inexplicably hate me for reasons I can't understand because I don't follow the coverage of gamers' wierdly-specific vitriols, but I'd love to see an open-world (or open-universe) Bethesda SW game.

Life, spicer, 07jonesj and 1 other person like this.
  7. Son of a Bith

Feb 28, 2013
    I loved the story too, and it's funny you say that re: Force Grip - favorite power in the game :)

07jonesj likes this.
  8. Son of a Bith

Feb 28, 2013
    Not gonna get any hate from me for this idea, brother.

9. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    That, and I could play the first level over and over again with a big smile on my face. Darth Vader just carries such a presence, and nothing gets in his way.

Obsidian want to make a Dark Times RPG, whether this would be KOTOR-style semi-linear or Fallout: New Vegas-style open world, we'd have to see.

10. Son of a Bith

Feb 28, 2013
    If only he could dash/move faster, though. I get that he just walks "like a boss" but I wanna run around whilst I kill those wookies!

Padme501st likes this.
  11. DarthBrian

DarthBrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    I'd prefer the former.

07jonesj likes this.
  12. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    Personally, same, as I loved the KOTOR games, and I adore Dragon Age and Mass Effect.

But I'd hardly be sad at seeing the latter.

13. DarthBrian

DarthBrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    Well, New Vegas licensed out Bethesda's tech so if they did open world it would have to be their own engine or another licensed engine.
    It would probably be cheaper and faster to just use their own Onyx Engine to do a KOTOR-style game.

07jonesj likes this.
  14. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Obsidian want to make a Dark Times RPG, whether this would be KOTOR-style semi-linear or Fallout: New Vegas-style open world, we'd have to see.[/quote]

As long as the story is good, I don't think you can go wrong either way ;)

darklordoftech and 07jonesj like this.
  15. Reveen

Reveen Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 4, 2012
    The Obsidian team is busy with Torment: Tides of Numenera right now, so I won't hold out for them doing a Star Wars game anytime soon.

Though, then again, all we really need to get a good Star Wars RPG is for the Obsidian writing to get on board. I mean, judging by their track record with actually making the games, I'm convinced that their coding department consists entirely of interns.

Life and 07jonesj like this.
  16. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    While I agree that the closure of Lucasarts is not necessarily a terrible blow to Star Wars videogaming, since the company had been struggling for a long time now, I can't help but feel saddened by the news. Lucasarts is such a big part of my youth. In the 90s and early 2000s I would hang on to their every release, and those classic games brought me so much joy!

Monkey Island, Day of the Tentacle, X-Wing, TIE Fighter, Full Throttle, Dark Forces, Jedi Knight, Knights of the Old Republic, Battlefront, and many others... They were always the cornerstone of my gaming life and I would eagerly await what new joke they would pull with their logo with each new game.

Fare thee well, Lucasarts, you have served as well indeed.

07jonesj likes this.
  17. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    It's sad news that this legacy has come to this end, but it's not entirely unexpected. The company peaked in the 90's and got sidetracked into only SW tie-ins for the era of the prequels.

Wasn't it only 5 or 6 years ago that LucasArts themselves had tried to reorganize the company as one with no internal development, just a publishing license to 3rd party developers?Then they backtracked on that and started some internal development again.

Can't blame Disney entirely for something that LucasArts itself started. It's just a shame they never got a chance to recover from their error. It would have been nice to have LucasArts once again making genre-standard titles again.

May we remember what it's legacy has gifted us: X-Wing/TIE Fighter, Dark Forces, BF, Sam & Max/Full Throttle and the rest of the adventure classics...

07jonesj likes this.
  18. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    How great it would of been to see the return of those classics, the X-Wing/TIE Fighter series could of became a Star Wars simulator on the level of Gran Turismo/Forza customization! How awesome would it be to be in dogfights of unique star-fighters! Dark Forces could of returned and focused on more Imperial shenanigans(with the Jedi Knight series becoming its own entity and Dark Forces focusing on...first-person Imperial shenanigans?

19. kevmp

kevmp Jedi Master star 3

May 4, 2011
    Sorry for the people that get laid off, but Lucasarts has sucked for years....this is good news in my opinion. They have released star wars crud for too long now.

20. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    What is Disney thinking? They've cancelled Star Wars's biggest subsidiaries to what end? You know Del Rey's contract ends this year. I don't know what purpose this serves but there is none apparent right now. Does anybody know what this means for TOR?

21. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    TOR is done externally by BioWare, so shouldn't be affected.

darthzac14 likes this.
  22. kevmp

kevmp Jedi Master star 3

May 4, 2011
    ...except maybe a new Star Wars movie or 5??

23. kevmp

kevmp Jedi Master star 3

May 4, 2011
    The purpose it serves is to streamline a very, very bloated and unwieldy company (ie Lucasfilm LTD)and re-focus it's efforts on...wait for it...FILMS. Lucasarts had it's day, but it's relevancy and quality as a game developer is long over. Detours was pathetic, producing your own self-satire is a huge mistake, that felt like the death of Star Wars to me. I'm glad it's been shelved.

24. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    Episode IX is due 2021. Don't think anyone cares about that yet.

They're going to be licensing games. We're likely to get more good games now than we have over the last 8 or so years.

spicer likes this.
  25. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    It makes me sad Lucas Arts never puled itself together and made the great games they used, but now even the slim chance of that happening is all gone now. Well it certainly had a fantastic run, I'll still play the oldies.

spicer likes this.