main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Excited more for prequels or sequels?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by WhiskeyGold, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    I respect Plagueis as a character (I know the book is supposed to be good) but having him be 'the Sith Lord who was the master of Palpatine who we were told Palpatine had killed but he didnt really' is far too contrived to carry any weight as a proper villain of the ST IMO. All new for the ST for me.

2. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    How do you figure it's contrived? Makes a lot of sense that he would have had a master, etc.

Of course it's fine that you don't want a movie like that, and I'm not trying to be snarky, I just don't really follow.

3. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    I'm going to say that I'm more excited for the ST. Why?

1. It was not supposed to exist until a couple months ago
    2. Half of my excitement stems from the seeds Lucas planted in the PT
    3. It's still a Lucas created story

4. Han Yolo

Han Yolo Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 7, 2013
    Seriously! Everything seemed rush. Why wasnt the clone wars way more epic?? Ugh

5. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    Contrived in the sense of a new villain for an audience that was unaware of his existence.

6. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    I was more excited when I heard that the prequels were being made, for a few reasons.
    Mainly, the OT dropped hints about what came before, so my imagination was stirred up. I wanted to see what the Clone Wars were about. I wanted to know how the emperor came into power. And, most of all, I wanted see how Anakin became Vader. But I never found myself wondering what happened after ROTJ. The story ended. The good guys won, the bad guys were defeated, and it seemed everyone lived happily ever after. I'm afraid that whatever they do now will just feel tacked on. Of course, I'm excited anyway, but I was definitely more excited about the prequels.
    (I guess another reason I'm a bit less excited this time around is because I ended up being disappointed with the prequels, and I'm afraid we may be setting ourselves up for another disappointment with the sequels, so I'd rather keep my expectations in check.)

7. Son of a Bith

Feb 28, 2013
    Jcuk
    Gonna have to intruduce new villians, no? Can't have new villians that the audience is already familiar with.

I think I see what you mean, I just see things differently. The opera scene/Plagueis conversation is probably my favorite moment in the PT.

Darth_Quintonis and Seagoat like this.
  8. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    Wait wait... I see a little lack of logic with this. Palpatine was not a "new" villain by the time of the PT, and even those who hate the PT consider him to be one of the best things about it.

Darth_Quintonis likes this.
  9. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    Palpatine having a back story made sense. Plagueis being alive is hacky.

10. Son of a Bith

Feb 28, 2013
    I assumed he was referring to Plagueis - I was.

11. Son of a Bith

Feb 28, 2013
    Nobody says he has to be alive - alls I'm sayin is it'd be cool to see Palps & Plagueis in action on the big screen. Prequel-spinoff-style.

Darth_Quintonis likes this.
  12. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    If Plagueis were to appear in a SW film? A spin off involving Palpatine would be far more relevant is what I was trying to convey. NOT having him as the main antagonist in an all new trilogy.

13. Son of a Bith

Feb 28, 2013

14. Son of a Bith

Feb 28, 2013
    Yeah I meant in an origin story, not an appearence in the sequels.

15. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    Ah, all cleared up then! Personally, I would like to see Plagueis in the ST, however unlikely.

16. Son of a Bith

Feb 28, 2013
    In honesty, I would like to see him pop in the sequels too - just wasn't referring to this desire at the time ;-)

Seagoat likes this.
  17. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013

I prefer the character and the truth about the "The Tragedy of Darth Plaguies" to remain a mystery. I know about the book, and the book is fine. But, I don't consider the EU to be a part of the story. I'd prefer it to remain EU.

I think the mystery surrounding what is truth and what is lie in Palpatine's temptation of Anakin to be something that should always remain intact as far as the movies go.

18. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    Hm... you raise a good point.

19. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    Hey like everyone else, I don't have a scooby doo as to what is going on with the story, script and what have ya. It will all emanate from Lucas's draft undoubtedly though so who knows? Maybe Plagueis has a prominent role to play?

20. Son of a Bith

Feb 28, 2013
    True, there is certainly something to be said for keeping some things in mystery.

Many would argue that we were better off without the PT at all for this reason. I'm not one of these people but I can absolutely see their point.

Captain Tom Coughlin likes this.
  21. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It's called "Star Wars Expanded Universe" not "Star Wars Alternate Universe". And there's probably a good reason for that.

22. Son of a Bith

Feb 28, 2013
    Certainly a lot of us are hoping, while a lot of others are dreading, this possibility.

I'm just so damn psyched for the films - sequels, prequels, spinoffs - that I feel like a little kid.

Jcuk likes this.
  23. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    You have your way of looking at it, and I have mine.

24. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    There's also the question of character backstory that doesn't appear in the main movies.

Like "Chewbacca was a slave before being freed by Han Solo"
    or "Han Solo was formerly in the Imperial Navy".

How much of that sort of thing, is Lucas's instructions to the writers?

25. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    Honestly, unless it's actually in the movie I don't really care. It's fine that he may have a backstory to these characters, although his claims about the continuity of his story have always been dubious at best. The man is a tinkerer, he tinkers with his story constantly.

The only think that matters to me is what is in the films. That's it. And, you already know that about me. It's not like you're going to change my mind about that.

I liked The Clone Wars cartoon a lot. But I don't consider it part of the story. It's it's own thing. Our friend Darth Maul died on Naboo the day he got cut in half as far as I'm concerned.

The movies are the movies, and everything else is everything else.

JainaSoloYJK likes this.