main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT The "What-If?" Depository - ALL conceptual/hypothetical conversation goes here

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by SithStarSlayer, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Darth Vader's Chest Plate

Darth Vader's Chest Plate Jedi Master star 2

Mar 18, 2013

Easily, she was in the Commitments and is currently in Pramface (BBC sitcom). Very unique looking lady.

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    You may be thinking of Bodie Taylor:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Bodie_Taylor

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  3. themetresgained

themetresgained Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2013
    THANK YOU.

You have no idea what you've just done.

4. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Any reason why my old posts are truncated? Is there a way to look at them in full?

5. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Can anybody tell me the history of the prophecy? Who 1st foretold it? How old is it? What is its history? I'm not a fan of the EU so wether it's been explained in there at any point I'm not aware.

6. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    The EU leaves it vague- possibly in order to avoid contradicting Lucas.

Usual cite for "Anakin actually fulfilled the prophesy" is:

From the introductory documentary for A New Hope, Special Edition (on the VHS version):
    "The first film starts with the last age of the Republic, which is it's getting tired, it's old, it's getting corrupt.
    There's the rise of the Sith, who are becoming a force, and in the backdrop of this we have Anakin Skywalker, a young boy who is destined to be a significant player in bringing balance back to the Force and to the Republic...
    Then in the second film we get into more of that turmoil. It's the beginning of the Clone Wars, it's the beginning of the end of democracy in the Republic, sort of the beginning of the end of the Republic. And it's Anakin Skywalker beginning to deal with some of his more intense emotions of Anger, Hatred, Sense of Loss, Possesiveness, Jealousy, and the other things he has to cope with.
    And then we will get to the 3rd film where he is seduced to the Dark Side..
    Which brings us up to the films 4, 5, and 6, in which Anakin's offspring redeem him and allow him to fulfill the prophecy where he brings Balance to the Force by doing away with the Sith and getting rid of evil in the universe..."

7. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    Yeah that is vague. That just basically outlined the story of the six films.

8. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    The EU source that discusses the Prophesy in the most detail is Jedi vs Sith: The Essential Guide to the Force.

It's made clear in that, that, from the point of view of the Jedi of that era, there's a great deal of skepticism about Anakin being the Chosen One- since the Sith aren't destroyed.

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  9. Darth Venator

Darth Venator Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 1, 2013
    The Prophecy always seemed like a fallacy to me. Surely as long as the Force exists - there will forever be the temptation of the Dark and someone will assumedly fall to corruption?

I know there are EU stories that mention the destruction of Sith Artifacts so that others may not learn their lessons... But equally, there are hoarders and collectors who posess these artifacts also... So surely, it was all a little futile? How could the Jedi know if they'd truly wiped away any trace if the Sith?

Part of me likes to think the first Jedi of yesteryear invented the Prophecy as a bedtime story to give the Younglings something to think about :p

...Also, as a side note - surely ancient and sparsely documented theories such as the Prophecy of the Chosen One are more dangerous than anything else? Look at the effect it had on Anakin upon being told he was the chosen one... It almost promotes an attempted engineering of fate, which doesn't seem very 'Jedi' to me.

Jedi Knight Fett and Jcuk like this.
  10. Bushy162

Bushy162 Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 27, 2011
  11. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Ahh yes, the scene where Padme shot Obi-Wan in the head for stealing Mace's lightsaber. :p

12. TheDisharmony

TheDisharmony Jedi Youngling

Mar 29, 2013
    Did Mace Windu beat Palpatine or did Palpatine allow him to win?

13. K'Kruhk

K'Kruhk Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2011
    Bushy162 I think it's just a screenshot from the movie.

14. Darth Venator

Darth Venator Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 1, 2013
    There's a lot of speculation on this topic - I watched RotS again today and on screen (regardless of the novelization or script) Mace clearly disarmed Palpatine and forced him into a corner, thus winning the physical duel. Mace's blade skills/strength are seen and displayed enough to establish him as a superior swordsman to Sidious. So, technically, there's your answer!

But, either way - Sidious always had that bit of lightning ready so that he could win the overall battle and he likely always knew Anakin would defend him blindly (the same blind faith mirrored in RotJ), so even though Mace 'won' in the short term - he was always going to lose in the long run.

You could argue that Palpatine threw the battle on purpose, but I really don't think he did - and as a huge fan of Sidious it pains me to admit that! He underestimated Mace and had to change his gameplan. But - being the manipulative powerhouse that he was, he'd clearly thought about how to gear every outcome to his advantage.

15. Twi'lekPrince

Twi'lekPrince Jedi Knight

Mar 24, 2013
    As I am writing this, I am watching TPM for the umpteenth time, and my friend brought up a great question, that I pondered for a bit: Why did Jar Jar get off the ship with Qui Gon and Padme? Did he just want to explore? What would bringing Jar Jar accomplish (other than breaking some stuff in Watto's shop :p )?

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  16. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Jar Jar was meant to make them blend in with the crowd. If you notice on Tatooine there are a lot of unusual species walking around, I guess a group of humans alone would have been suspicious. That's the excuse given in the novelization at least.

17. kubricklynch

kubricklynch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2012
    I like to think Mace won. I have no logical reason for this, it's just if you take away his win there Mace doesn't really do anything in the movies to justify him being the number 2 jedi.

Darth Venator likes this.
  18. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    So I was sitting here thinking the other day... what if either:

A.) Anakin lost the podrace
    or
    B.) Anakin didn't want to leave

Qui-Gon was nearly certain that the boy was the Chosen One (and he was eventually proven correct) so logically, for the sake of the galaxy and the Force, this boy can not be left an untrained slave. But what if Anakin lost? Would Qui-Gon just illegally kidnap the poor kid? What if, even if he still won, he was too afraid to leave and wanted to stay with his mother? Would Qui-Gon have just taken him anyway?

19. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Since Anakin will explode if he travels far enough away from Watto, Qui-Gon would have had to make Watto deactivate the bomb in him first.

20. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Hypothetically then, couldn't he just deactivate the microchip using the Force?

21. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Not sure if the Force can be fine-tuned that easily.

Given that Qui-Gon makes a point of warning Anakin that "It's a hard life" - I don't think he'd just go against Anakin or Shmi's wishes once Anakin is freed.

22. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    I've head some hypothetical questions before but..Jeez

23. natureboy76

natureboy76 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 11, 2009
    I think Qui-Gon would have found another way to bring the child with him. Qui gon felt very strongly that this child was important to the prophecy and would have used a little more of that jedi trickery (like with the dice) to allow the ends to justify the means. I only wish they would have let Qui gon live until the next film to explore his character a bit....I guess he needed to die to mirror the way Obi died in ANH...

24. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    It' a moot point, if he's the chosen one he is destined to fulfill that title. He was never going to stay on that planet. His life is the legacy of the chosen one. Everything he does fulfills that destiny.

Now, I don't really like the whole Chosen one story line. Taking Luke's father and making him a space Jesus filled with force bacteria was kind of crap. But, this is the story we are left with. And, the chosen one was never going to stay on that planet.

25. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    Qui Gon dying was obviously supposed to be meant for dramatic effect. But ended up being,' well why did he have to be killed?' So the idea failed. IMO

natureboy76 likes this.