main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion Fisto's Disco: The LACWAC Social Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by G-FETT, Jul 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    So, is there anything expected to survive the buyout?

2. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    No, both First Assault and 1313 are reported to have been cancelled.

Obsidian have recently stated they were interested in making another SW RPG (Dark Times too, I think!). Maybe they'll get taken up on that offer now?

3. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    Of all the changes that have happened since the buyout, this is the one I suspected the most, LucasArts had not been doing too well. And it might be the best move for better games anyway rather than developing them internally.

07jonesj likes this.
  4. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Not surprised. Not happy, but at least it wasn't a blindside shot.

5. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    1313 looked amazing but given that the game was apparently retooled at the behest of Lucas after considerable development...

Let's just say I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't as good as it appeared to be.

6. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Had to put some Jedi in there, methinks.

7. Darth Ibonek

Darth Ibonek Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 11, 2013
    Final mission of 1313: Hunt down (and kill?) Ahsoka Tano for a huge bounty.

8. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    Ah. So all of this - the cancellation of TCW, LucasArts laying off it's developers - it's all internal sabotage from Filoni so that Ahsoka won't die!

9. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    Again I say: when is enough is enough? I know, business is business. But even the biggest proponents of the Disney accusation of Star Wars have to see that it's more about the $$$ then "preserving" Star Wars history. I personally feel with these core companies going away, SW will be less like SW and just more re-purposed crap. Well get sub-par cartoons made by Disney's crappy in house animation department. We'll get other game companies not following SW basics void of total story.

I know there will be stubborn cynics that will take it to their grave that "Disney is doing a great job", but sadly they are just kidding themselves. These will be the same folks that say EP7 is epic, even if it falls shorter than any prequel ever..

10. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    I myself share some of your cynicism but you have to remember not to make assumptions, not when the whole situation is not yet clear.

I'm honestly not looking forward to any future Disney animated TV shows. I think they'll be cheaply made, but again that's pre-judgement. We'll have to wait and see on this one.

In terms of other companies ignoring story in SW video games - KOTOR has the most story in a SW video game. Was it made by LucasArts? No, it was made by BioWare. Trust me, I'm not thrilled at Angry Birds Star Wars or Star Wars Kinect either but I truly think that the loss of LucasArts may get us some great AAA titles down-the-line.

Yeah, Episode VII. That's what everything seems to be hinging on, huh? I'll go into it with an open mind. There's also the point that I hate Episode I, but enjoy the other two prequel movies. We can't even judge the ST by it's first installment.

It's still a wait-and-see approach, I'm afraid. LucasArts being dismantled is hardly another step to SW hell, though. It'll likely be good for SW games.

TaradosGon likes this.
  11. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    What the heck, I know I wasn't that concerned about 1313, but you don't just cancel the production of a game after they've already nearly finished it and then fire everyone. What sorcery is this!? It's the same with TCW, they finish making season six, Disney cancels it and fires the crew...

12. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    I suspect 1313 was actually behind development, in no small part to them being forced to switch focus mid-development more than once.

And no, this isn't like TCW. LucasArts haven't made consistent quality content in a long time.

Well, I just realised I used the term "consistent". TCW actually suffers in that front.

13. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    My reaction:

rumblewagon likes this.
  14. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
  15. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    So, Carowinds has a new Dinosaurs Alive! area; animated life-sized dinosaurs that kids can look at. Of course if this exhibit breaks down, the dinosaurs won't eat the tourists...

...is anyone planning to see Jurassic Park in 3D when it comes out? I'll be there with at least one kiddo; both of them if I don't think my little one will freak at the sight of the T-Rex.

I'm looking forward to this one and to finally having the Blu-Ray. I don't really like the sequels but I love the first movie.

CT-867-5309 and eht13 like this.
  16. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Heck yeah, my son (6) and I will be there for JP in 3D this coming weekend. He loves dinosaurs but hasn't seen this yet... it will be great. And I agree, the first one was great but the sequels were just kind of mediocre.

17. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    My youngest will be 6 next month; he wasn't crazy about the T-Rex in the exhibit so I may hold off on taking him to see this in 3D. My oldest will be 8 next month and for him, no question, we'll go. He's loved dinosaurs since he was 3 and he's much less sensitive than his brother.

18. Darth_Zandalor

Aug 2, 2009
    I want to see Jurassic Park 3D This weekend. also, I recommend you show your kid Walking with Dinosaurs. Still the best Dino documentary ever.

19. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    I love the first two JPs.

Already have them on Blu-Ray, and watch them semi-regularly. Don't even know if it's airing in UK cinemas, though I don't care about 3D anyway. I'd just watch the 2D version - old school. :cool:

20. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    For me its not so much 3D as seeing JP on the big screen and the movie theaters around here are way bigger and louder than they were way back when. I'm hoping to see it.

21. Darth_Zandalor

Aug 2, 2009
    I never saw the first Jurassic Park in theaters, so I am looking forward to it.

22. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    My first JP theater viewing: I was in my early 20s, my brother was in his mid-teens, we saw it together. He had read all the books, was a huge Crichton fan at the time, and he complained a lot about how they combined and mixed up characters. They did combine the attorney with the velociraptor keeper and they did mix up the identities of the kids, i.e. the movie actually gave the girl a brain as opposed to just making her a whiny sniveling ***** that she was in the book. (I don't think my brother complained about that.) By the time Lost World came out, I was the one complaining.

23. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Eh, I haven't liked the idea of rereleasing these movies in 3D. I only say TPM 3D because I had a free pass. Though, I did sneak into Finding Nemo 3D for a few minutes before whatever film I was really seeing started, and it looked cool.

But that's a good point- I never did see JP in theatres way back when, so maybe I'll take advantage of the opportunity this time 'round.

24. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    It depends on the movie. I think Jurassic Park will be awesome in 3D. I heard a rumor about Top Gun coming out in 3D as well, and all I can say is...please please please make this girl happy. I'd pay 50 bucks to see that movie in 3D.

25. Darth_Zandalor

Aug 2, 2009
    Hey, I actually liked The Lost World. Yeah, it wasn't as good as the first, and the main characters are responsible for every death in the movie, but it had some really good moments too. Such as any time Pete Postelthwaithe was on screen. As Roger Ebert said "he is the only one who seems convinced he is on an island with dinosaurs".

Even the ninja T-Rex managing to murder an entire crew of a cargo ship while drugged and restrained in the cargo hold was worth it to see the bugger attack San Diego.
    That is what the movie should have been about in the first place. Instead of basing most of the film on Isla Sorna, they should have gone with the mainland Dinosaur threat. Have the opening start with the dinosaur capture, and then base most of the movie around the San Diego incident.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.