main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I know, it's awful. Frankly, I'm fine with Troy/Britta. Let's not turn this show into Friends where everyone dates everyone at one point or another. :p

CooperTFN likes this.
  2. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    House/Wilson. Cuddy was just a smokescreen.

Todd the Jedi likes this.
  3. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    No, "we" are most certainly not. It's not shipping if you want to keep characters apart.

What's the opposite of shipping? Piracy, I suppose? I am a Jeff/Annie pirate.
    The way I see it, this season is them wrapping things up. There's no way to do a post-graduation season that doesn't boil down to "gee, what else might these people do together?"

4. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    All part of the shipping wars [face_batting]

5. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    It’s derived from Relationship, not from freight. ;)

6. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Welcome to my joke.

7. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I've always been pro Annie/Abed. :p

8. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Tariffs? Blockades? Piracy seems to suggest you're stealing their love... for some nefarious purpose.

Besides, it's not shippers you have to worry about, it's smugglers. Or worse, snugglers.

10. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Here we go. This commentary is very late, but I blame the Easter and April Fool's day. Couldn't get anything done whole weekend. This episode (the eight episode of the second season) was mostly a deep breath before the blunge.

[​IMG]

Episode begins with dead birds. And Theon. Sigh. I hope his story climaxes this season so he can then be dragged off-stage. With or without his head. No, don't take me wrong, I sympathize with him a little, and having him played with by his own men is amusing in civilian-hurting way, but it's losing it's drive. That's why I took the arrival of his sister without complaining that the villains can use secret hyperspace routes while the relatively good guys have to travel for many episodes before they get anywhere.

In a brother-sister meeting we get to hear that Theon's sister cares about him, and that Theon was crybaby also as a baby. Go on, I want to hear more. He also used diapers until he turned 7 did he?

In the North Jon is introduced to the Lord of Bones. He is cool. I like people with ridicolous wardrobe. But he makes a lot of sound while walking, isn't that against the whole wildling idea? Two redshirts died while they were looking for Jon. ”See that it wasn't for nothing”. Well technically it was for nothing since Jon's situation didn't change by them dying. He would be captured anyway.

The scene in which Robb and Talisa walk through the woods is beautiful. The sun, the woods, the wind, the bird songs... wait, does that bird make exactly the sound that plays in Fellowship of the Ring during the transition from Bucklebury Ferry to Bree? Black riders are coming!*

*That otherworldy sound is actually made by a Canadian Loon. I like our loons more, they do not remind me of ringwraiths. There's also a bird sound that sounds just like the call of a Long-Billed Curlew, a sure sign of spring. Is this digressing?

Catelyn let Jaime go? And not just go, to be transported by Brienne to the capital. What is she supposed to do when she gets to King's Landing? Tell the queen that she will get Jaime back if Brienne gets the girls? Let me get this straight: She sent Brienne to sneak through their own lines, the enemy lines, through the Westerlands, the Riverlands and the Crownlands to deep into the Lannister area, and negotiate the transfer of prisoners, when she has kindly already brought Jaime there? Robb does the right thing and puts his mother under guard so his bannermen won't riot.

I don't know if Brienne going with this plan speaks good about her honor or bad about her senses. And I still don't know why she is so popular. She doesn't even gag Jaime, that would be the first thing I'd do if I had to share a boat journey with him and his trolling.

Tywin decides that enough is enough, gives the last insults and leaves while singing an awesome villain song... well, you can't have everything.

Another plan, this one is made by Qhorin: 1: He and Jon will fight. 2: ??? 3: Jon gains the trust of the wildlings, Qhorin most likely dies. I have no idea what's in the second phase, but this is already a better plan than what Catelyn came up with.

Scenes between Bronn, Tyrion and Varys are the highlights of this episode. Bronn shows that he does things his way, Varys and Tyrion play the game where you are not told the rules or shown the board.

The King's Landing has but one weakness. It's outer wall is solid rock except for a small gate near the river. How? How can a pig's poop undo armies? What kind of device will break down the ships?

Sam does Jon's duties, and they include digging a pit latrine. I never had to do that, but I had to use one a few times in our last practice battle. It's not so fun walking in there in dark forest, sitting on the ice-cold tree, feeling the wind and making sure that you don't drop anything you don't want in there. And when the dirty deed is done you wash your hands in snow and dress up as quickly as you can. There were three things I dreamed about when standing guard on the road no one ever used on nights and watched the stars: Poslin Poop (=using an indoors toilet), shower and bed. It was a week before Christmas and that's everything I wanted. And I got them. Happy end.

Anyway, Sam and others find a treasure, dragonglass arrow heads and a horn. What? Why? Who? When? Will this be important this season or never? All important questions, no answers.

Joffrey is planning to lead his armies in battle. The best plan I have heard this episode! Hurrah to the king! How much before his armies is he planning to lead? A mile? Two would also be fine.
    Now Theon, take notes. Here is a villain being a villain. Cersei speaks softly, purrs like a cat and hits Tyrion where it hurts. I am not embarrassed for her, I hate her. Seriously, Tyrion sends Myrcella to relative safety and you answer by capturing his girlfriend and threatening to kill her if Joffrey dies. The woman is brought out and... I guessed it, she was not Shae. I knew that even if Tyrion was stupid enough to give her a lion-shaped jewel Shae would not keep it. But what about this woman? Will Tyrion sacrifice her to ensure Shae's safety?

Roose Bolton seems like a part-time opponent, part-time mentor to Robb. He tells the hard truths of war, and Robb has to either accept them or somehow invent a merciful solution. I want him to tell Robb the hard truth of not keeping your word to a lord holding an important bridge. But Robb doesn't care about that sort of things, he hits the home run.

A man keeps his promises, Arya, Gendry and What's-his-face escape Harrenhal. Four more dead, so how many will they hang next day?

Ser Davos and Stannis give some long-expected exposition, thankfully with clothes on. Now I know how lowborn Davos became a ser, why Melisandre compared him to an onion and why Stannis hated his brothers and wants the crown (because it is his by right). Good stuff. But remember our deal, Stannis. Save Sansa, slap Joffrey and don't exterminate the city and we can be friends.

Joffrey, why are you not already leading your King's Guard against the coming enemy? Like, wait on the shore with your crossbow and a target sign. ”Imagine Stannis' terror” ”I am trying”. Aand Varys and Tyrion continue their game. I don't want to know how many dice and bonuses Varys has, but Tyrion has also spent his points on verbal skills.

Finally, Daenerys. If I had known that we won't see her until the episode has only four minutes left, I wouldn't have hoped for a sneak-attack into the House of Undying, Jorah cutting and jumping his way through the enemy, dropping people from the stairs circling the tower and finally dueling all the clones of the Warlock King while Daenerys saves the dragons and defeats Xaro with their fire. Well, next episode. Or all of that happens in the regular GOT way: Talk, talk, talk, sudden kill, bloodshot, perhaps nudity.

The episode is bookmarked with Theon as he once again takes counsel from his men. I know our officer wouldn't have heeded my ”Let's not do this and say we did”-counsel. I get confirmation to my assumption that Theon didn't stay around to watch his men kill the children, the farmer and his wife. Osha holds her spot high in my favorite characters list. ”The closer we are to danger, the farther we are from harm.”

Summary: This episode was mostly planning and putting everyone close to their season arc's climaxes. Tywin is marching against Robb, Robb is marching against the Casterly Rock, Arya is going somewhere, Jaime and Brienne are going to King's Landing, Stannis is almost there, Jon goes with Qhorin's plan, Daenerys and Jorah will have a swashbuckling adventure and derring-do, Sansa... she may survive this yet. I am very glad we didn't have a scene with her, because I'm quite sure that it would have featured more nononoNO. Good thing Joffrey has the war keeping him occupied.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  11. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Interesting take Lugija.
    I don't take too much issue with those who don't like Cersei - she gives you plenty of reasons. But it's not like Tyrion sent Myrcella to summer camp. She's been sent away, and promised in marriage. This is why Cersei is upset - because she did not care for it when it was done to her. I can sympathize with her desire to want to control that for herself - and for her daughter.

This is the reason I like Brienne. She's living the life she wants, despite the limitations placed on her by being a woman in Westeros. And she takes a lot of flack for it - the least of it from Jaime Lannister.

12. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    I got an A- on my rough draft, which is about a letter-grade-and-a-half above what I expected [face_dancing]

krtmd, Lugija and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  13. Lugija

Oct 3, 2009
    Good points. I had actually completely forgotten the marriage part :oops:. Yes, Cersei is really not one for arranged marriages she didn't arrange herself. But I still take issue with how she has the world divided to "my children" and "don't care".

I wrote "I still don't know why she is so popular" because Brienne hasn't done much yet, but I still see random comments gushing over her. There's potential, and like Theon's her story could go anywhere, but mainly she has stood in the background and been insulted. She takes it all, I give her that. And it's not like I haven't gushed about characters that have done nothing *cough*Renly*cough*.

14. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Hey, no worries. I can't deny that my love for Brienne comes from being a book reader.

15. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Well, in an hour from now I get to give a presentation to a class full of military and government attorneys, and then open the floor to questions.

I am going to get burned to a crisp. [face_worried]

jSarek likes this.
  16. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Wear a cape and a very fine hat. They'll be too intimidated to ask questions.

17. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    Grab the Iron Throne from that exhibition, then give the presentation while sitting regally upon the seat of kings. Don't *give* a presentation, *dictate* it to your subjects. Don't open the floor to questions, permit those peons to make *appeals*. Ask yourself: what would a Targaryen do?

Is this that 45-page paper?

instantdeath likes this.
  18. Lugija

Oct 3, 2009
    You have come to the right place.

Every time someone asks a question, shake your head a little and give a sad smile. Perhaps even a quick facepalm and a sigh. That should discourage them.

And don't forget the "tch tch" sounds.

instantdeath likes this.
  19. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Might be a nice added touch to pull out a phone and text while they're asking their questions. Also ask them to repeat their questions even if you heard them clearly the first time.

Lugija likes this.
  20. Lugija

Oct 3, 2009
    An hour later Jello posts here: "LOL @ these questions". He should also pretend to not understand language and talk with thick Latin accent.

21. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Dammit, I didn't think to post in the social thread whilst being asked questions! Missed opportunity. I didn't wear a cape and a fine hat, but I did wear a three piece mostly-English tailored suit. I thought I sounded like a confused, repetitive fool but I'm told that I did an excellent job and was clearly prepared and had done a lot of research. I think my classmates must be high. :p

RC, not the big paper. I already presented for that one when I turned in my rough draft. This presentation is a different class, and the paper I have to write for this one is a different topic. Fortunately enough, the world's most important international law conference is tomorrow, I have admission, and there's a panel discussion on the exact topic of my paper... handy!

22. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    Right, so I just finished Deadhouse Gates: Book 2 of Malazan: Book of the Fallen. I now feel slightly more charitable towards Empress Laseem. And if I read the last few scenes correctly-@Jedi Ben and instantdeath I am looking to you two for clarification- I take it that Duiker is going to be resurrected in some form, and Coltaine reborn from the crows?

I still have no real clue as to what the hell is going on in the story, but I do have a very rough understanding of the universe itself so far, which is helpful.

23. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Well you're now further than me. Really liked the first book, but the second utterly defeated me.

24. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    RC-1991 I actually can't answer that, because I myself only recently finished the second book, took a bit of a break, and started the third. I've long since stopped trying to predict what the hell is going to happen.

Interesting, I normally hear people say that the first book was much harder to get into.

25. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Status update on D'harhan:

I had built his tail. It had five points of ball-joint articulation and looked pretty snazzy.

During the sanding and detail (and then painting), three of those joints broke.

I'm tempted to try again with a different modeling compound, perhaps that soft Sculpey that's used for erasers. This way, there will be some give and I can pop the segments apart and detail them without as much trouble as I've been having.

Also on the list: A better camera with which to take better images.

RC-1991, Barriss_Coffee and Gorefiend like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.