main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Disney's GARGOYLES Discussion (Cartoon, Comics, and More)

Discussion in 'Community' started by TiniTinyTony , Oct 6, 2006.

1. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Because personally I can't find another actor who fit her better than Jennifer Connelly. I'm not a big fan of her (not like Liv Tyler, Kate Beckinsale or Diane Kruger) but I do like her acting.

Just say she didn't know and will never know about it, it's not a big deal.

2. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    And yeah, that romantic relationship between Baroness and Duke is freaking stupid.

3. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    So you completely missed the suggestion of Zoe Saldana for Elisa?

4. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    I don't like her in the 2009 ST movie.

5. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Okay, fine, but really. You can't imagine any non-white actress doing a decent job here?

Everyone knows Will Smith is one of my favorite actors. But that doesn't mean I think he should play Peter Parker in Spiderman, or that he would be good as Wonder Woman. Yeah, you could have some back story about how in order to escape the wrath of Hades, he had to undergo a sex change operation into a black man, and have her memory erased so she never realized it, and et cetera. But that would be stupid. You could alternatively just let a woman play Wonder Woman, as the creators so clearly intended.

6. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Well, sex change is going to affect WW way too much, her characterization and story would be totally different. I hate to say it but part of her being great is her beauty. Most of the stories of Gargoyles are about the gargoyles and the children of Oberon rather than Elisa's family.

Also, even in the cartoon she doesn't really look that black.

[​IMG]

Her skin is even lighter than Xanatos.

[​IMG]

I don't see Jennifer Connelly being too awkward.

[​IMG]

7. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Like I said, I give up.

8. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    When you put it that way, I can certainly see how that rules out any non-white actresses.

. . .

9. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Also this is her dad, does he look more like Native American or white?

[​IMG]

10. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Yeah, this is obviously a white person too.

[​IMG]

The only thing race has ever been about is skin complexion. Glad you have such an awesome understanding of these issues.

11. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I'm no expert, but he looks like a cartoon.

12. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    So is this man:

[​IMG]

*note: He's of filipino descent.

13. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    His face also looks more like a white rather than Native American.

So let's make it clear, Jennifer's looks doesn't contradict with Elisa a lot, not like Will Smith and WW, and it could be perfectly explained by a minor change like I mentioned before.

14. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    "minor change"

I suppose ASO's true identity was just a "minor change" from the online personality.

MrZAP, Rogue_Ten and Juliet316 like this.
  15. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Yes, just like I don't see people criticize Liam Neeson for not being Arabic or Asian when he played Ra's al Ghul, which was a bigger change.

16. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Why on Earth would Ra's al Ghul be played by an Asian?

17. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    He came from China.

He's Chinese/Arabic, so is Talia. Marion Cotillard is not Chinese nor Arabic.

18. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    if the punctuation in that sentence is correct, it's the cities' inhabitants whose ancestors have journeyed from China, not the nomads which Ras belongs to.

19. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Why are you so against Elisa being played by anyone other than a white woman? You're now proposing to radically alter her character and background just so she can be white. It's ridiculous.

Juliet316 likes this.
  20. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    http://www.watchmojo.com/video/id/10457/

That nomad is also from China.

21. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    She looks more like white in the cartoon, and I think Jennifer fit her well. People simply point on race issue rather than acting and other stuff is quite weird. Especially we have a few changes before but it's not too big of a deal.

22. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    This was the point of the conversation about Magneto. For some characters, their ethnic background deeply influences them as a character and is pretty essential. For others, it's superfluous. Ras is an immortal radical environmentalist with some Social Darwinist overtones. There is no particular demonstrable influence of either Chinese nor Arabian society on his actions, either now or from 600 years ago. He never talks about this past and these memories don't seem to inspire him to anything in particular. So why is it crucial that he be Chinese or Arab in the way that it is Magneto be Jewish?

Juliet316 likes this.
  23. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    She doesn't look white to me. Without any prior knowledge, she looks Latina.

How does this actress "fit" Elisa so well???

24. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Uh, it would actually be a pretty big deal (since we're not likely to get a live - action Gargoyles movie anytime soon I'll parse this in hypotheticals), considering that there have been a few episodes that have brough Elisa's mixed heritage into play. Now granted, Disney's not always the best at drawing minorities (especially during the time period Gargoyles first came out), but once you bring Elisa's family and go back and really look at her, it's clear that she's intended to look like a woman of color with a rich ethnic background..

25. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    And I already provided my solution, let her grow up in a Native American and Black family could solve everything.

Also, if they are going to make a movie, they aren't going to include everything into the movie because it's impossible to do so, the major conflict of the gargoyle clans, Oberon's children and those legendary characters like Macbeth and Archmage got little to do with Elisa's background.