main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"This deal is getting worse all the time!"

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by IG_2000, Mar 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
  2. venepe

venepe Jedi Master star 1

Feb 25, 2004
    Yeah, Disney is cancelling all non-SP projects.

3. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    So, what's left? LucasBooks and TOR? *sigh*

4. venepe

Feb 25, 2004
  5. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Yeah, LucasArts hasn't been triple-A since 2005 or so. Not surprised or even especially sad, since that was the last time LA released a game I liked. Plus Disney -Square led to Kingdom Hearts; that blows the doors off pretty much anything LA has managed to fumble into existence in the last 9 years. I'm sure there'll still be SW games, they just won't be produced by LA (which has farmed out virtually everything since 2005 or so anyway) anymore.

darklordoftech likes this.
  6. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    There will definitely still be games. Disney will just license out the title to other publishers.

7. venepe

Feb 25, 2004
    I understand that Disney is making sound business decisions. I get it. But as a Star Wars fan I would love for Disney to continue the legacy of Lucasfilm and related companies. Sometimes profits need to be placed aside in order to create and innovate. Sometimes respect in the industry comes from a vision and not from great profits.

Founded in 1982 by filmmaker George Lucas, LucasArts is a leading developer and publisher of interactive entertainment software worldwide for video game console systems, computers, mobile devices and the Internet. LucasArts is dedicated to delivering deeply immersive, engaging and visceral experiences that inspire and amaze generations.
    With development facilities in San Francisco and Singapore, LucasArts leverages the global skills, technology and resources of the Lucasfilm family of companies -- including visual effects leader Industrial Light & Magic, Lucasfilm Animation and Skywalker Sound -- in addition to strategic partnerships with best-in-class external partners, to further the boundaries of game development.

obi-rob-kenobi4 likes this.
  8. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    I don't get it. Pretty much every decision Disney has made so far makes perfect sense to me. No offense, but I find the creator worship exhibited here to be a bit creepy. Lucas not being involved doesn't automatically mean the franchise will turn to crap. Quite the opposite IMO.

9. venepe

Feb 25, 2004
    Maybe we are all going through the five stages of grief. We are past denial, now we are experiencing anger.

DarthKreVass and Coric like this.
  10. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    I just bolded the part that was actually crippling Lucas Arts. It's a myth that because George created a company that somehow it's this greatest company ever. It was dysfunctional. Their best developers were gone, they were wedded to one franchise instead of developing new, original content, had a high turnover, and were listless since the end of the prequels.

So Disney did what was necessary, IMHO.

We're not talking about ILM and Skywalker Sound here. Those two are still industry leaders in their respective fields. LA hasn't been at the top of their field for a long time.

edit: just found this out. You know how ILM and Lucas Arts collaborated on recent game releases? Well, those people who worked in that no-mans land between Lucas Arts and ILM appear to have been let go too.

http://variety.com/2013/digital/news/lucasarts-shutdown-triggers-layoffs-at-ilm-1200332765/

11. Heero_Yuy

Nov 28, 2000
    Man, am I still waxing nostalgic about the X-Wing and TIE fighter sims. Those were the days...

12. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
  13. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    Perfect sense from a business standpoint? Maybe. But we as a fanbase shouldn't be looking at things from a business standpoint. 150 people today lost their jobs. Projects fans have been waiting for are being canned left and right. We shouldn't just stand around and say "well, I guess its okay".

I was one of the biggest resident Lucas bashers but Star Wars has turned into something alot uglier.

Why is it that as an independent company Lucasfilm was doing just fine but now that its in the "able hands" of an organization with an unlimited amount of money people are being put out to the street?

14. Kev Snowmane

Kev Snowmane Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2013
    It's not "creator worship". It's wanting a diversity of product and not just the ST. Disney is treating Lucasfilm as if it cannot walk and chew gum at the same time.

By all means lets get excitement going for the ST as appropriate, but let Clone Wars go on, as it was very successful. Let the books go on. let Dark Horse keep making their comics, etc.

It doesn't have to be "films only". That looks smart in narrow term/short term thinking, but is counterproductive over the long haul.

darth ladnar likes this.
  15. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    A private company can keep all that stuff private. A publicly-traded company with shareholders, like Disney, cannot. A private company can internalize many dysfunctional things and appear fine to the public. But shareholders demand greater transparency and accountability from publicly-traded companies.

So what's really going on is these are all issues that Lucasfilm absorbed internally for years as a private company, and are now being exposed and changed as it becomes a public one.

16. Kev Snowmane

Kev Snowmane Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2013
    ^More like bean-counting front office types who have been marinated in that stodgy and self-limiting line of thinking are incapable at this point of learning new ways of looking at things.

Putting MBAs in charge of a creative arts company may, if they're lucky, make a financially lucrative business, but it will be creatively bankrupt.

GunganSlayer likes this.
  17. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    I expected this one to be honest. LucasArts has been struggling since The Force Unleashed and their best products lately weren't developed in house. I hate that people had to be let go, but this decision does make sense. Now, if they go after ILM or Skywalker Sound that is another matter.

I'm far more interesting to see what will happen to the Licensing arm: Del Rey, Dark Horse, Hasbro, Sideshow Collectibles etc.

Is there any chance in hell that Disney would let Dark Horse keep Star Wars instead of giving it back to Marvel? That's the question.

18. Jedi General Gelderd

Jedi General Gelderd Jedi Master star 5

Mar 6, 2004
    Real shame to hear about this - due to the fact the future Star Wars titles did actually look quite exciting, and a step up from what we've had recently. I am sure they will licence out titles like they did with 'KOTOR' to Bioware.

At least we have the existing games, good or bad as they may be. 'Battlefront 1 & 2', 'Jedi Knight', 'The Force Unleashed'...

But I'm always thankful we got the real cream of LucasArts gaming with titles such as 'The Secret Of Monkey Island' and the point and click graphic adventures that dominated my childhood.

[​IMG]

19. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    "Fracture" was pretty good too...

[​IMG]

20. Jedi General Gelderd

Jedi General Gelderd Jedi Master star 5

Mar 6, 2004
    Ohh, I've not heard of that - I'll check it out.

21. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    To be perfectly honest, 1313 seemed to have died quite a while ago, it's just that no one found the body yet. All we got were a few screens and a video clip waaay back, and complete silence since. I think that game went downhill before way before Disney had anything to do with it.

And to continue being perfectly honest, this thing with LucasArts not only makes perfect sense, but I also think it's a good thing. We might actually get more games, and if not more than almost certainly of a better quality. I'm sure there's a great studio out there just waiting to make a perfect next-gen TIE fighter or X-wing game.
    Speaking of which, why the hell didn't they make a new TIE/X-wing game? Damn. I want that.

22. Heero_Yuy

Nov 28, 2000
    Lucas arts hadn't had a good game in years at this point. They deserved to get canned, that's just life. I mean, 1313 sounded cool at first, but didn't Lucas insist on the games entire premis being changed?

23. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    Sitting back, smiling, and watching the dysfunction wash away.

24. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    In 5 years.

Even if true, which it isn't, was that supposed to mean anything? As in "the game sounded cool, but as soon as I heard George had some involvement, the interest was gone"?

25. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    "As soon as George had some involvement, the interest was gone." I agree. I think GL is poison to SW, but 1313 sounded pretty cool.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.