main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last movie you saw?

Discussion in 'Community' started by TheEmperorsProtege, Aug 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Omg why have I never heard of this movie before? I need it in my life RIGHT NOW.

2. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Batman: The Dark Knight Returns Part 1 - After solid direct-to-video animated Batman films like Under the Red Hood and Year One, WB really hits its stride here. At times it feels like you're watching Frank Miller's seminal graphic novel in motion. - 8/10

heels1785 likes this.
  3. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    The Descendants
    I liked it. 5 out of 5.

4. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    It's called Maximum Overdrive....about machines that become sentient and start killing people.

It's the first and only movie both written and directed by Stephen King, with a soundtrack of nothing but AC/DC songs.....and it's freakin GLORIOUS.

5. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    We don't need movies to remind us of that. We have the internet!

6. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Almost your exact words kept running through my head throughout the movie. It's because of the internet that cinema has decided wrong-headed ideas are now an art form.

7. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    I have not seen the movie but really want to. What specific ideas did you not like? Again, I haven't seen it but the Wikipedia page mentions it covers the genocide of Native Americans, the Holocaust, and the moon landing. I haven`t previously heard about anything about the latter two but there is quite a bit of evidence to suggest there is a theme going on with Native Americans.

8. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    In Time
    Slick sci-fi action with Justin Timberlake and Amanda Seyfried. In the future, mankind has discovered the genetic key to immortality (in terms of ageing). But since immortality obviously leads to overpopulation, time (meaning the time you have left to live) is turned into a monetary system, where the rich can afford to keep buying time to live forever, and the poor live day to day, earning a few hours of life with their wages every day to keep their impending death at bay. Interesting concept, but unfortunately, I found the execution lacking. It doesn't handle it with the gravity it deserves and some key events in the plot are dealt with a bit too easily and quickly in order to get the ball rolling.

There is also a parallel to our current world that is presented in the narrative. But it reveals that it's making that parallel too openly. That should be handled more subtly. It also doesn't explore that parallel further or elaborate on it enough for it to be an effective satire either. It reveals its cards early on, but then doesn't play them, shooting itself doubly in the foot.

As a straight popcorn movie, it is serviceable, but not remarkable in any way. 3 out of 5.

JUKE-SKYWALKER likes this.
  9. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    The Guard - It came highly recommended, but I found it to be one of those "black" comedies that heaps on the quirk and hopes you don't notice how thin its plot is. Talented cast, and the script has moments of wit, but it just didn't come together for me. - 6/10

10. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Looper - typical dull "future is crap" nonsense

11. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Don't get the wrong idea. This movie rocks. It is in part a movie about excessive movie fandom, so it's something a Star Wars fan should be able to relate to. If you watch a movie enough times, the experience may eventually devolve into obsessive frame-by-frame scanning for minute details. The traditional things people enjoy about a film--story, acting, cinematography-- are engulfed and overwhelmed by obsessive close readings.

The native American elements of The Shining are a perfect example. Yes, there are clearly native American design elements in the film. The Calumet baking powder cans, artwork on the hotel walls. That implies that Kubrick was interested in Native American imagery. But also, pantries contain baking powder, and American resort hotels are likely to include Native American themes. Moreover, there's no discernible connection between the story arc of the Shining and the Native American experience. The native American experience can't be a legitimate subtext of the film unless it really is incorporated into the story along some kind of recognizable narrative path. Something that isn't apparent on even 3 or 4 viewings isn't really working as a cinematic trope.

I could ramble on about native American imagery in The Shining, or I could simply note that Kubrick and/or his set designers seemed to like native American art. Native American themes may well have been important to Kubrick, but the movie is pretty clearly not about that. I have some Native American artwork in my home, and maybe in a sense that makes my house an ironic testament to the European colonization of North America. But the symbolism doesn't reach very far, and my house makes a poor vehicle for telling that story.

12. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Total Recall

Never seen the original but the remake isn't too bad

13. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    You go straight to hell dammit!

Ulicus and JUKE-SKYWALKER like this.
  14. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
  15. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    GTFOTB and watch the original. Never EVER watch a remake without seeing the original.

16. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    That remake was awful.
    Dredd remake was wonderful.
    I fear for the Robocop remake.

17. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Forgot the Dredd remake. In the case of that movie, never EVER watch the original.

JUKE-SKYWALKER and 07jonesj like this.
  18. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    I don't know, Sly's performance is pretty hilarious.

19. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    UH UHM DUH LAWWWWWW

heels1785 likes this.
  20. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    The last two movies I've saw were How To Train Your Dragon (wonderful!! - can't believe I'd not seen it) and Wreck-It Ralph (good, but it played too young for my taste and had a very flat second act).

21. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    The Longest Yard

Not a bad movie, but they should have kept Chris Rock alive and 4 wrestlers in 1 movie? rare to have more than 1 in a movie

22. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower. Enjoyable, though not mind-blowing. I liked the cast.

Jabbadabbado likes this.
  23. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004

The remake was pretty "meh" compared to the original. It was fancy but I absolutely love the original.

*winces* Did you read the book?

Last movie I saw was the WB TV movie The Lone Ranger that I had taped years ago. It was entertaining, though some of the acting [in general, no one specific] fell flat.

24. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    No I haven't read the book.

25. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    The Mechanic (2011) - I finally reached the level of boredom necessary for me to watch a Jason Statham movie (I don't dislike Statham, but his movies...). Much to my surprise I didn't, A.) Shut it off 10 minutes in or B.) Wish I had the last 90 minutes of my life back when it was over. Is it a classic? No. As good as the original? Debatable, but again I'd say no. A decent, and even occasionally clever time-waster? Definitely. - 6/10

The2ndQuest and Life like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.