main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion Fisto's Disco: The LACWAC Social Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by G-FETT, Jul 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I mean, that's the same with new movies released in 3D. I've seen over 20 films in 3D the past few years, and maybe 5 of them actually warranted being 3D.

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    "A dinosaur attacks San Diego" was a little too Godzilla for my taste.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  3. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    I saw JP in theaters once when it came out. It'll be worth seeing it in theaters again just to hear here the local AmStar theater do it some great justice in the audio department. I missed TPM. The Lion King is the only movie I rewatched in TCW. Even through its traditional animation it actually worked surprisingly well.

4. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
  5. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I rarely see movies in theaters myself. To me its just to expensive to justify going to the movies most of time. I got a set of some of the best computer speakers out there rigged to my TV.. Plenty of power for the T-Rex's roar to rattle my windows. If I need to be quieter I have a great pair of headphones. Neither fully matches the theatrical experience. Movies theaters atleast here have come a long way sine 1993 with the enormous screens, cushy stadium seating, and true digital surround sound. One way can justify it is to give in to my personal nostalgia.

6. Coric

Coric Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 19, 2011
    YES

7. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    I wish I could feel that. :(

If I were to compare watching The Dark Knight Rises in cinemas to watching it at home, there really wasn't any difference to me. I feel like I'm messing some serious feels here.

8. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I wish SC's theaters were like yours. OSHA stepped in and requires ours keep the volume 10dB below reference levels. :( Still loud, but I prefer the days when chunks of plaster/ceiling tiles would occasionally fall during loud LFE scenes. :p

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=299-028 :D

9. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
  10. KenobiSkywalker

Sep 3, 2012
    I have one of those bolted to my office chair. It's not as good as something like a Clark Synthesis or Butt Kicker, but as long as your headphones produce decent bass, that's all you'd need to 'feel' it. (At least on a commercial theater's level.)

11. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I recently took advantage of Showcase Cinemas' "Lux Level", and I don't think I can see a movie any other way now. :p First off, it's up in a balcony above the losers in the regular theatre. There's limited seating and you can reserve your seats. The seats themselves are very large and very comfortable.

And here's the best part- you can order food right from your seat. Real food. Makes a good lunch or dinner to go along with your movie, and there's a mini tray/table built into the seats to eat on. Of course, you can also order popcorn and drinks straight from your seat as well. It's 21 and over as well, probably because they serve alcohol.

Basically, greatest movie-going experience of my life. It's wicked ****ing expensive, but goddammit is it worth it. :D

07jonesj and KenobiSkywalker like this.
  12. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    There's a theater in uptown Charlotte whose post-7 p.m. showings are 21 and over only, and they serve wine and beer. I saw Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince there. It's more expensive than a regular theater and it's very nicely done, as you said, large and comfortable seats. I don't know about ordering full meals, I didn't pay attention to that.

AkashKedavra_93 likes this.
  13. KenobiSkywalker

Sep 3, 2012
    That's something else Charleston theaters could use. I'm pretty sure our nicest theater would be the cheap crappy one no one ever goes to in most other cities this size. Thats why I ended up building my own, I'm not gonna pay $10-$12 to watch a movie on a projector with an old nearly dead lamp that the GM is trying to squeeze every last hour out of (it's not uncommon for one to explode during a movie) and a half blown sound system from the 80's. :mad: [/rant]

07jonesj likes this.
  14. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    That's sucks. There is a theater like that on I-Drive by the attractions here that's 21 and over. I've never been there. Will have to try it sometimes. Almost all the theaters here are big and overpriced. There are two big theaters 5 minutes away. Like once a year I'll see a movie at Universal City Walk which has a sick state of the art theater with like 3 story screens. You go up three stories to enter the theaters and walk down the stadium.

15. KenobiSkywalker

Sep 3, 2012
    When we lived in TN back in the mid 90's there was an IMAX theater in Chattanooga with a 66ft tall (or about 4.5 stories) by 89ft wide projection screen. I remember being terrified of the sound system (I was only 5 at the time), which could sometimes be heard on the other side of the street.. :eek: Not too many of those theaters any more.

I couldn't find one with out the meme, but that's the actual theater:
    [​IMG]

16. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    The first time I watched Skyfall was when I was on holiday in Aussie, and that movie screen was huuuuuge, it had to curve so that you could see it all!

And on a different note, how the heck did Jabba get 26% against Vader, when Maul got 21% and Grievous got 10%!? Surely Jabba is much less popular than the other two.

17. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Cool! The only two true IMAX screens in Orlando are the Regal Pointe Cinemas next to SeaWorld which also claims to have been the first in the nation when it was called the MuviCo, I don't think I've ever seen a movie there. Then the other one is the Universal CityWalk AMC I mentioned. The majority of theaters here are LieMax's. They aren't the real thing but charge like they advertise. One more reason I don't go to the movies. =b

KenobiSkywalker likes this.
  18. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
    I saw Jurassic Park in 3D at Wonder Land in Toronto several years ago, and it was beyond any 3D I have ever experienced. The dinosaurs felt like they were leaping off the screen, it was amazing.

19. Coric

Coric Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 19, 2011
    Jurassic Park in 3D wasn't released several years ago. :p

eht13 likes this.
  20. Coric

Coric Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 19, 2011
    MMMM, DP.

21. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    If you've ever studied Hamlet, watch this:

07jonesj likes this.
  22. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Seems legit

eht13 likes this.
  23. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Cool, thanks for the recommendation. It sounds familiar, so I think we MAY have watched this already... will have to confirm that.

Regarding theaters that serve alcohol and real food... yes, those are great. Recently, that's how we've usually done it. There are two locations here of a chain called Studio Movie Grill that we usually go to. The food is good, and because you're eating and often drinking there, they usually have the movie ticket prices themselves slightly lower than other regular theaters around here. They often have deals on Groupon, too. That's where we'll be seeing JP in 3D this weekend.

24. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Did you see SW Episode 7 there too? :p

GGrievous likes this.
  25. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm definitely going to get hold of that documentary. I haven't seen it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.