main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canderous and Cade's Crazy Cantina: a shiny new fanfiction social thread!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Commander-DWH, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Lol. I've had those conversations before.

So, my friend has it in her head that she wants to by a scooter (the ride on, motorcycle type) and I mentioned that I looked into it last summer because you don't need a driver's licence for an electric one, so now she wants me to buy one with her. I'd said I'd go with her tomorrow to look at them, but there is no way I am buying one in the near future. As it is, in town where she is, the riding season is only 6 months long on average, and it's even less where a I live a bit out of town. I think I'll look into it when I move out. I'm not even sure she should buy one because our town isn't exactly ideal for scooters and her money would be probable better spent if she saved up for a nice used car, but I'm not going to say anything.

2. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Briannakin if I were you I would get a 4X4 Jeep SUV. That is what I have and I only got stuck in the snow once. It handles really well...and you can haul groceries.

My teenager found out I bought a new iPod and now he is bugging me to give it to him. I told him I may give him my old iPod and he said, "That iPod touch is only 8 gig...it is crappy." Since when is an 8gig iPod crappy? It have more computing power than NASA did when they sent men to the moon. o_O

3. LexiLupin

LexiLupin Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 27, 2011
    Is this the same teenager who lost the first iPod, leading to the purchase of the second one?

4. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Yes, but we found the lost iPod and now thinks that I don't need the 16 gig replacement iPod since I don't play video games or watch videos or whatever. I simply listen to music at the gym and they are the same 50 or so songs so I probably only use a megabyte of memory. Therefore this advanced piece of equipment is wasted on his aging mother. o_O The only reason I got the 16 gig was Wal-Mart no longer sells the 8gig.

5. LexiLupin

Mar 27, 2011
    I vote that you go back to plan A and sell his PS3 or Xbox or whatever it was.
    (and then give him the 8gig)
    :p

Bale and Valairy Scot like this.
  6. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I would but I have two sons that share the PS3. It makes it difficult for me to take things away.

My other son just read this over my shoulder (the one who didn't lose my iPod) and is saying he should get the iPod since he's the more trustworthy son. :) (he's the one who typed in the happy face. :rolleyes:)

7. LexiLupin

Mar 27, 2011
    Hi, J_L's not-so-trouble-making son! Ha.

8. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Anyone doing anything fun this weekend?

I'm working so the answer is no for me.

I'm going to see a production of Jesus Christ Superstar next weekend and I'm excited about that! I'm not religious, but it is one of my favorite musicals; I saw a college production years ago that's going to be hard to top. I'm also hopefully going to see the Boston Ballet's The Sleeping Beauty this week. :)

9. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    I get to move my grandparents.... somewhere. They've been living with my cousin, who just evicted them. i dont know why, or where we'll move them, because they can't come here.

10. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I'll probably be doing this weekend what I have been doing all spring break...breaking up fights between my sons.

11. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    I like that musical, too. I remember when it first came out, there was all this "controversy" over it. I went to see it for myself, and I was wondering why everyone was making such a fuss. It was just told from Judas' POV, but it didn't really mock Jesus or anything.

I think I'll take a nice long hike today. It's so nice out.

12. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    When I was in high school I was president of the drama club and we were trying to decide on what musical to do, I jokingly said JCS (jokingly because we didn't have the voices for even a HS production and everyone knew it) and you would have thought I had suggested we summon the devil and pray to another god while fire shot out of my eyes. The teachers objection was that they never show Jesus' resurrection. I said it was because the show is from Judus' POV but she wouldn't hear of it. I don't think she liked me much after that since she rejected every idea I had after that and we ended up not even doing a musical that year which was my senior year. :_| (Yes I'm still bitter over 10 years later! :p )

A hike sounds nice! I may have to do that this week if it's nice enough.

13. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    Yeah, I guess that's it, the Resurrection not being shown... what gets me is they were so hot and bothered about JCS, yet they call Resurrection Day, Easter which is a derivative of a Pagan god's name and don't think twice about all the Pagan practices they do to celebrate Jesus' resurrection... and birth for that matter. I don't know if the production of JCS I saw was any different from the original, but I got a sense that in spite of it being from Judas' POV, there was great respect towards Jesus. The show also made me wonder if Judas hadn't been so morose and committed suicide before the Resurrection, if he would have been saved. I mean, if the apostle Paul, who persecuted the early Christians could be saved, could not Judas have been saved as well? I believe one of the pastors at the church I was going to when I was in 8th grade (I went to a Lutheran school) must have believed it was possible... in the weeks leading up to Easter that year, the services consisted of one of the pastors speaking in the POV of one of the people involved in the whole thing: One did Pontius Pilate; another did "doubting" Thomas; one was Barabas; one was one of the other convicts who was on a cross next to Jesus; and the pastor who "portrayed" Judas must have actually watched JCS and liked it.

I wound up not going for a hike today because I started feeling queasy so laid down and took a nap instead. I sure have been feeling queasy a lot lately.

14. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I'm not doing much this weekend except preparing for finals AND PLAYING MY NEW PIANO! The move went extremely well since my cousin did manage to make it. I've been playing around on it a lot and I'm surprised how much has come back to me after not playing or reading music for years. And it's not that badly out of tune (except for one low F key).

I've never seen JCS, or even heard much about it, but it sounds interesting. I watched Passion of the Christ on thursday with some friends. I quite enjoyed it, especially the depiction of Pilate, but there were some parts (like the crow pecking out the murderer's eyes and the maggot in Satan's nose) that I thought were a bit much and you could tell that it was a Mel Gibson production.

15. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    I haven't seen Passion of the Christ yet, but intend to sometime... it's another one of those things that isn't high priority, but want to see it someday just to make up my own mind about it. Unlike some people who won't go to see something and judge it on what they hear other people say. :rolleyes: I had an argument with someone about that one time, and I asked them if they have a mind of their own because every argument they had was "So-and-so said this..." "So-and-so said that.." That's a big pet peeve of mine, when someone can't think on their own.

I just now purchased PotC on I-tunes... will watch it later though.

Oh, back on the subject of musicals, I watched "Les Miserables" with Hugh Jackman as Jean Valjean... it was excellent. I like how they didn't go for the 'pretty' singing, and Anne Hathaway's portrayal of Fontine was exceptional as was Samantha Bark's Eponine. The only complaint I had is that the guy who played Marius looked more what I pictured Marius' cousin to look like when I was reading the book, so I kept thinking, why is whatshisname impersonating Marius? :p

16. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    Happy Resurrection Day, everyone.

I watched Passion of the Christ, and I must say for the most part it was... not something I'd recommend. Not that I thought it was anti-Semetic like the uproar was about, but that it focused too much on the part where the cross was dragged (almost 40 minutes), and then when it came to the resurrection, barely 2 minutes... no angel rolling the stone (Satan had a bunch of screen time, but no angel?), no sleeping guard, no women coming to discover the open and empty grave... very disappointing.

There was one scene that I enjoyed immensely. It was a flashback scene where Mary and Jesus interacted, and it was such a fun, loving mother/son moment. Jesus was putting finishing touches a table (he's a carpenter, you know), and Mary comes out to ask if he's hungry, and he says that he is. Then she asks him what it was he was making, and he told her it's a table. She remarked that it was a very tall table (remember, back then the tables were low to the ground and they sat/lay on the ground next to it), and he demonstrated how with a chair the people would sit around it (he hadn't made the chairs yet), and she tested it out, and not very impressed, she said, "It will never catch on." That made me laugh so hard. Then in the same scene came a wonderful playful moment when she told him to wash his hands, and while he dips his hand in the water bowl that she's carrying, he splashes her and they laugh together. It was a wonderful scene.

17. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Happy Resurrection day!

I loved that scene to. Yes, it didn't exactly show a whole lot of Jesus' resurrection, but I still thought it was a very powerful movie for me emotionally. I wouldn't recommend it to everyone, nor is it a movie I would watch again anytime soon.

A movie I would recommend, particularly to you Alexis_Wingstar, is the Gospel of John, made in 2003. It's like 3 hours long, but it follows the entire book of John precisely. I'm pretty sure you can find it in YouTube. It's much less graphic than PotC.

18. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    Briannakin I'll check it out. I didn't object to the gore in the movie, it's just that the dragging the cross scene was so dragged out. I felt like if they showed Jesus falling one more time, I was gonna scream. One movie I really liked was "The Nativity Story", and I wish the people who made that movie would do the whole story of Jesus.

19. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Yeah, I thought the entire movie could have either been an 1/2 hour shorter, or they could have added in more flashbacks or something.

But I like the Gospel of John because it shows Jesus' life, death and resurrection as it is told in the book of John. There is nothing added or taken away, so a good chunk of it is Jesus's life and the events leading up to his death, but the resurrection and the events afterwards are shown.

20. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    It's April Fools Day. I was driving my kids to school and I told my older son I decided to give him the 16 gig iPod I bought. He said, "Oh yeah...why? Why did you change your mind? I don't believe you...but I'll take it...if you are really giving it away."

I said, "April Fools! I returned it to Wal-Mart last week for a refund! HA!"

He was not amused.

21. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Your horrible. But I'm not much better. I put my 7 foot cardboard Chewbacca outside of the bathroom and when my step-dad got out of the shower, he got a good scare. And then my mother put it in my brother's bedroom since he wouldn't get up. He was a little freaked out when he did finally wake up.

22. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
  23. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    Ugh Ive been chased out of the RPF temporarily until Ramza/Peng turn off their annoying joke.

On a good note: I got me a Chibi Dooku!

[​IMG]

He shall now sit on my monitor and be my muse.

TrakNar likes this.
  24. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I'm sure many of you have seen this, but if you haven't, it's great.

I think someone could write an amazing AU based on the 'accusations' in this. The plot bunnies are attacking me.

Alexis_Wingstar and Iverna like this.
  25. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Tomorrow, the cat is off to the vet... again. More shots.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.