main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph JJ Abrams' Star Trek Into Darkness

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ulkesh2, Sep 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Well, to be completely honest,
    I had actually forgotten what the official line on Cumberbatch's character was and I've been operating under the impression he was supposed to be KHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN, so I'm more surprised that we weren't supposed to know that.

2. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    It's like with certain things that have broken in the last few days regarding Doctor Who (I won't spoil them here, go into the Doctor Who thread if you want to know about them and don't somehow already know), I don't know how Abrams and Paraborg expected to keep that under wraps until May 17.

Edit:
    Although, I will admit some of the lines from the last extended trailer (about the damage to London being caused by 'one of our own' and revealing Cumberbatch when it's said) did lead me to doubt a little, which I'm sure Abrams and co. were counting on.

3. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    The production claimed his character is named John Harrison, but a fair number of people felt it was a repeat of "Marion Cotillard isn't playing Talia."

If this is true, I'm not surprised, but I am disappointed. What's the point of rebooting the franchise if you're not going to do anything new with it?

4. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    The 2009 film was already a WoK rehash, so the original plot ship has already sailed into Nero's time-portal-black-hole-I-don't-know-what-it-was.

Adam of Nuchtern likes this.
  5. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    You don't think making Khan an outright terrorist instead of convincing people he's just a misunderstood superhuman ala the Space Seed origin, isn't a new twist on him?

Edit: Looks like we've got a couple of new posters as well. Non spoiler (or at least nothing that hasn't already been seen in the trailers thus far), but under spoiler tags to save computers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] (BAMF Uhura FTW!)

[​IMG]

6. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    Well, there goes the secrecy they tried to maintain for practically the whole time leading up to the film.

My thoughts are as follows:

1. Really?
    2. Seriously?
    3. Oh well; it's a cop-out in a way to me. I thought for sure we'd see you-know-who in the third film, not this next one.
    4. They'd better have a pretty good and compelling background story for how he comes to be.
    5. I had a feeling all along that it was the case; there were just way too many references to him.
    6. It better be damn good or I will be pretty upset if they don't have a reasonable explanation for doing this.
    7. There goes any chance for this series of movies to actually be unique in their own way.
    8. If the third movie involves "Finding Spock" at all then I will seriously not even watch it.
    9. They better use his best one-liners like "It's very cold... in space."
    10. I'm pretty upset to say the least; so if it doesn't meet my high standars of TWOK, then I for one will again not watch the third movie if they seriously blow this one.

7. Adam of Nuchtern

Sep 2, 2012
    Considering that he's still a genetically enhanced superhuman whose motivated by revenge, no I don't.

8. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    It's like I said to Ramza up thread, it's like everything with Doctor Who right now, there's no way Abrams and Co. were going to be able to hide him for very much longer, certainly not until May 17. I'm surprised they managed to come up sustain their little game as long as they did past the shooting of the movie.

9. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    You're so upset you couldn't use spoiler tags for your post? Even glancing at your reply you have made it very, very obvious who you're talking about, unless you've intentionally gone in for misdirection. The fact you're not happy doesn't mean it's okay for you to piss the rest of us off.

10. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    As a casual fan, I'm not even surprised.

11. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Please use the spoiler tags for now, people. These are major spoilers.

12. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    TV Spots:

Featurette:

13. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Finally got around to reading Countdown Into Darkness. I'm assuming these aren't considered spoilers since its a publicly available prequel. It's hard to tell exactly how much of the story actually plays into the new movie's plotline and how much is just bridging the JJverse TOS comics into the new movie (they've already done the Archons and Galileo 7 stories apparently).

That said, I think the basic setup relevant to the film (other than the John Harrison cameo in the last panel, which is apparently the start of the movie) is the actions of Starfleet Intelligence behind the scenes- stuff that Pike basically tells Kirk he doesn't need to know about (which includes a command override in Starfleet vessels that have apparently been secretly included for many years).But that doesn't really become apparent till the end of the story.

The highlights include the thought-dead Robert April, former Captain of the Enterprise, still being alive and fighting a proxy war against the Klingons that has violated the Prime Directive on a planet. It's revealed April's Enterprise was decommissioned and replaced by the Monsterprise introduced in the first film. The flashback seems to suggest April's Enterprise was the original Constitution-class (though it's hard to tell for certain based on the artwork style/rendering).

Kor commands the Klingon vessel that involves itself- though it's not a design we've seen before (it's vaguely like a D-7 or BOP without the "neck" or "head", but not exactly). Harry Mudd's daughter is involved with supplying April's forces. Spock has been haunted by the loss of Vulcan/his mother and has been putting himself into dangerous situations a lot.

All in all this Countdown doesn't feel as important or directly relevant to the film as the first one did (or even the Nero miniseries), but who knows, that might change once we see the actual movie. I have a feeling the hush-hush over Harrison's identity handicapped their ability to really flesh things out here like they did with Nero so they had to be a bit more discrete.

14. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    Has anybody noticed that Abrams is even starting to talk line Spielberg in featurettes and interviews? It's kind of sad really.

15. Adam of Nuchtern

Sep 2, 2012
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/star-trek-darkness-how-paramount-435647

16. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    It's like new Who. Earth plays better, the actual fans be damned.

17. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    I think they kinda want to sell it as a more sci-fi-tinged version of Skyfall on the foreign market, and if' that's what they gotta do, then so be it.

18. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I now know to blame foreigners.

The2ndQuest likes this.
  19. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    You mean "discreet".

20. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    So what you're saying is, if they've got to make a Star Trek movie that isn't anything like Star Trek in order to make a whole bunch of money, that's totally cool?

21. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    To be fair, Trek is broad enough to facilitate almost any kind of story, so it's hard to say something "isn't like Star Trek". They've done outright westerns, submarine combat, comedies, horror, spiritual explorations, historical explorations, character dramas, outdoor survival, samurai stories, treasure hunt races, criminal investigations, courtroom dramas, etc in the various shows. "Hunting a terrorist on Earth" is certainly not outside that umbrella (especially when you consider things like the Maquis, Bajorans, etc that have been used previously).

Sure, exploration is part of Trek and we do want to see it go to different planets- but probably 60-70% of Trek takes place on a ship or station (which is effectively "home"/"Earth" for all intents and purposes). And about half of the remainder are planets and cultures that might as well be taking place on Earth.

22. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    It's bad business to make $150 million movies that can't make $400 million worldwide, which is what happened with Abrams' first Trek. It's not clear that he's cracked the Trek code for international box office success. So, I don't know if he's doing it right. If it were me, I'd figure out how to make Trek movies for $50-$75 million.

23. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    I just want Star Trek Into Darkness to succeed so we have more Star Trek in the future, like a new TV series or such. Is that so wrong?

24. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    WTF NEW TRAILER...

Why does that look so much like the Enterprise-E?!? 1:17 mark in the trailer... great googly-moogly...

25. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    I thought the profile was more Ambassador class than anything.

I get the impression I'm the only person still incredibly excited for this...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.