main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Variety: "There will be at least one Star Wars movie a year"

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by rezpen, Apr 3, 2013.

1. rezpen

rezpen Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2010
    I said this before on here and people called me crazy, but in the Variety article about the layoffs at LucasArts and now ILM Variety confirms it:
    http://variety.com/2013/digital/news/lucasarts-shutdown-triggers-layoffs-at-ilm-1200332765/

So we will be getting at least one Star Wars movie a year with possibly 2-3 Star Wars movies a year like Marvel.

2. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    There is no death, there is the force

In this case Id rather have one movie a year and a TV show then a few bland games every now and then from a next to dead company like Lucasarts... and the force is the profits these will bring in vs a few games. This coming from a major gamer btw...

Sitara, TreborSabreon, Rawne and 2 others like this.
  3. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Oh no, let the "OMG world is ending/Disney is destroying Star Wars" discussion begin.

4. bluemilkcheesypuffs77

bluemilkcheesypuffs77 Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    Yes.

To answer your question. This is actually phase 3 in the marvel cinematic universe - a cross over between marvel and star wars.

Oh, and padme will return as a force ghost...

Original Oatmeal likes this.
  5. kubricklynch

kubricklynch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2012
    Awesome!

6. clone3131

clone3131 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2004
    ya, we know....very old news...

-C

7. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    I happen to like this news. More SW means more fun IMO.

8. Darth_Quintonis

Darth_Quintonis Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 31, 2013
    People will always find reasons to complain, if complaining is what they have the most fun doing. I'm all for a Star Wars movie every year, it'll be better than half the other crap that comes out. For instance, Liam Neeson needs to have an excuse to stop getting his family kidnapped and having to rescue them, no, we don't need an "Expendables 3" and I'm tired of end of the world movies with Morgan Freedman and Tom Cruise. Star Wars might just be able to stave off the implosion of the movies as a business, who knows? Really curious what the new animated show is going to be like? [face_thinking]

9. Jedi_Lantern

Jedi_Lantern Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 3, 2013
    I like this. 3 Marvel movies each year works. It could work for Star Wars as well

Ryus likes this.
  10. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    My money is on the time between EPVI and EPVII. Whether that be a TV version of the established EU or something else involving Luke, Han, Leia and gang.

1 movie a year is fantastic news to me, although I thought this had been reported already.
    3 movies a year is just as fantastic, but also a little scary as quantity does not always mean quality.

11. Darth_Quintonis

Mar 31, 2013
    Hmmm ...

My speculation for a possible time table ... with examples.

Late Summer 2013: A new "The Clone Wars" Movie to tie things up ...
    Fall 2013: New Animated series starts ...
    Summer 2014: Obi-wan spin-off movie.
    Summer 2015: Episode VII
    Summer 2016: Yoda spin-off movie
    Late 2016: Boba Fett/Bounty Hunters spin off movie that leads into live action show ...
    Spring 2017: Live Action show starts up ... (depending on success of animated series)
    Summer 2017: Episode VIII
    Fall 2017: Animated spin off film
    Summer 2018: Knights of the Old Republic Spin-off movie
    Summer 2019: Episode IX

black_saber likes this.
  12. Kuestmaster

Kuestmaster Jedi Master star 2

Nov 17, 2012
    No way a Kenobi movie is the first one. They are creating and building anticipation for Episode VII and won't release another star wars movie before that.
    And I'd replace the Yoda spinoff film with the Han one. Lucas is not keen on Yoda being the main character in a movie, but seeing how Disney is changing all the scenario everything is possible right now.

Darth_Quintonis likes this.
  13. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Cool stuff.
    Don't think it'll get stale, though.
    It's a vast universe, they can do quite a lot of things to keep it fresh.

Also, no need to assume the spin offs will only be about known characters. In fact, it would be even better if they were about original characters for the most part.

14. Darth_Quintonis

Mar 31, 2013
    I agree, except they may want to put off the Han/Chewie movie until after the ST is done, to not have two different actors playing the same character in the popular consciousness at the same time. That sort of thing confuses the lemmings.

Kuestmaster likes this.
  15. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Yeah I agree, but I just hope it doesn't get to the stage where it's overkill. Less is more

TheManFromMortis likes this.
  16. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    I guess I could predictably express concern for the fact that the franchise runs the risk of fatiguing and producing more mediocrity than quality. But, I won't. Disney are experienced enough as artists and business people to know the risk of this approach. Let them do it, the audience decide, and ultimately, decide for yourself when the product is released.

Darth_Quintonis likes this.
  17. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    As long as they don't get to hung up on the PT/OT/ST era and characters we already know, a Star Wars movie a year might be a good thing. If we are treated to many different eras, with different characters and different styles, then.... yes please [face_dancing]

18. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    Here's how I'm starting to see it.

Absolutely nothing between 2013-2014 and half of 2015. Towards the Episode VII release date, we'll get a book and a video game, and TCW will get it's wrap up later this year.
    Episode VII in 2015
    TV series starting in 2015 (potential ST tie-in or "Dark Times" series)
    Spinoff in 2016 (Han Solo)
    Episode VIII in 2017
    Spinoff in 2018 (Kenobi)
    Episode IX in 2019
    Spinoff in 2020 (Fett)

Two different trilogies, one is the classical Star Wars, the other I will dub the "spinoff trilogy", Hell Marvel does way more a year. This looks about on the scale of how Pixar releases movies, one a year. I don't see people complaining that Pixar movies are milked or bad (except Cars 2) because they're pretty consistent in quality. The two movies under Marvel/Disney released so far is Amazing Spiderman and Avengers, both were pretty decent movies.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  19. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Wolverine vs Boba Fett is going to rock hard...

...actually, I think I rather would see that than a sequel trilogy to the sequel trilogy's sequel trilogy.

20. Kuestmaster

Nov 17, 2012
    obi-wan gets two spinoff?

21. KED12345

Sep 10, 2012
    Crap! You quoted me before I could edit it. The 2016 should say Han Solo.

22. Kuestmaster

Nov 17, 2012
    I could see that, but as said before, I'd leave out the Han spinoff until the ST is done, and put the Fett one in 2016.

23. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
    To be fair, the Pixar comparison is a bad one. Pixar makes new movies that are separate from previous films. It is one thing for a studio to make lots of movies It is another to make a bunch of movies over one franchise. One is far more susceptible to saturation than the other. I'm not worried though.

24. KED12345

Sep 10, 2012
    Alright then, Marvel still stands strong in terms of profits and they release new films sometimes twice a year.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  25. Wookiee_Vader

Wookiee_Vader Jedi Master star 2

Aug 21, 2007
    If we do get this new animated series, I hope it is aimed towards adults. I'd love something in the same vein as those The Old Republic animated vids...

Lee_, Pro Scoundrel and Ryus like this.