main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Redundant, Counter-Productive Speculation Time Is Over: "The Star Wars" Announced

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    You have to read the whole sentence. Isn't hardcore EU. This isn't a product calibrated to appeal to fans of Jaina and Ben, it's not set thousands of years from the movies, it's not about Zayne Carrick or Kyle Katarn, it's not made for people whose number one wish is for a Darca Nyl/Sagoro Autem buddy-cop series. In short, it's not targeted at the particular Litizen demographic. It's a product that has no connection to the EU and stands on its own as something that can be read by someone who's never seen anything but the movies, and by someone who has no interest in the EU whatsoever.

That's not to say that it doesn't have tremendous appeal to hardcore movie fans. And you can argue about whether Joe Public would be more interested in "Hey, an ongoing series of more stories about Luke, Leia, and Han" or "Hey, it's an alternate version of one of my favorite movies based on the original story." I'd argue that while this has massive, massive appeal to hardcore film buffs, it also has more curb appeal, as a single miniseries event displaying the original version of the movie they like, to the general fan, who buys the toys and collectibles and T-shirts from the movies he loved as a kid, and might watch the TV series, but doesn't follow the EU, doesn't buy the books and comics. What you're talking about with Wood's series is, I think, more the level of appeal to the casual EU fan, the person who is willing to pick up tie-in stories but doesn't follow the EU closely. But that's beside the point -- of course it's a product with huge hardcore appeal, but it's not hardcore EU appeal.

JoinTheSchwarz and Zeta1127 like this.
  2. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    You dismissed the whole zombies thing quickly - almost suspiciously quickly. [face_thinking]

3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    The big question mark for me is: How much do people care about Lucas' early SW draft? Enough to pay for 8 x $3.99 issues or for perhaps half that in a digital format? Or pay $20 for a TPB? Or has Lucas' later work tarnished his earlier handiwork too much? Or, might it be that people don't care about the Lucas link but are more interested by far in the Star Wars link? So many ways to look at this.

DHC obviously expect it to be a big hit, which I get, but I think there's a real big amount of unpredictability around this. Then again, way back when, publishing some series called Dark Empire was a hell of a risk!

One thing's for sure though: It'll look good, Mayhew's a damn good artist.

4. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    It's a good question, but I guess all we can say for sure is that people whose job it is to answer the question seem to believe so.

Do we have any idea how well those McQuarrie concept figures sold by toy standards? That's probably the closest analogue we have right now.

5. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    I will read, but I won't buy. I'm a trade guy. (More Omnibus and hardcover actually)

6. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Well, my strategy Coop would be to cover all 3 formats and hedge my bets!

7. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Wait, which early draft? Didn't he revise his scripts many, many times in many drastic ways?

darklordoftech likes this.
  8. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Exactly what I was thinking.

9. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I would imagine it would be one of the earliest ones, as far away from the Star Wars we know as possible.

10. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Am I the only one who got this vibe?

[​IMG]

Judging from what we've seen of the first page, it's this one.

11. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    Me too, but my New Years Resolution was to buy comics again for the first time in 10 years so I'm sticking to it! :)

12. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I will buy this as many times as it comes out.

I hope they're going to do an epic hardcover edition that includes the script and a bunch of McQuarrie concept art and, and, and.

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  13. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    still it is a safe release. I'm going to wait unitl the true announcemnet is made. Dark Horse or the move back to Marvel.

14. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Pretty much anything with the "Star Wars" logo on it is a relatively safe release. Unless it's an Alan Moore penned Gungan erotica.

15. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Only $20? Come now, Ben, you know this one's destined for a hardcover release. :p

16. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Funny you should mention that, I've a copy of the hardback Darth Vader & The Ghost Prison pre-ordered for £12.15 Zorr, that converts to $18.41!

17. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Thanks for the clarification Randy. This is definitely a question that has a lot of fans in heated debate. Being an EU fan I'm ok with the prospect of the ST not using any of it, but it would be cool if it gave a nod or two.

vong333 likes this.
  18. Miras-Etrin

Miras-Etrin Jedi Master star 2

Jan 23, 2013
    Therefore I call here for cooexisting of three branches of EU - original post-ROTJ fiction, this proto-wars form and new stuff based on Disney movies. Everybody wins :) .

CeiranHarmony likes this.
  19. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I think this is a really awesome announcement- and Hav is absolutely right, while it's not targeted at the hardcore EU fan, this is something that has a uniquely broader appeal than any other title. General movie buffs will take an interest in this, beyond SW movie buffs. It's something people have always heard about but never really seen or read together (yes the drafts are out there but I think those stick to a select niche).

I, personally, am really looking forward to this. I've always wanted to read those early drafts, but every time I tried, it was really difficult to visualize the characters outside of their familiar namesakes and keep track of them mentally. Having them visualized in this manner will make it a lot easier to keep them distinct. The great looking art is a plus as well.

I believe Invasion is still officially "on hiatus" until Tom is available again (unless there has been recent news to the contrary).

This has been in development since last summer, before DHC was even aware of the Disney deal. At best, it's just DHC continuing to put out new and interesting product to further justify the renewal of their contract as they usually do every few years,

I believe the phrasing from C6 was that this next arc was the story they've been building to since the first storyline. The fan implication is that this is Vader vs Dass, which would make one think Dass's days could be numbered (5 issues ;) ).

That said, that phrasing could simply mean it's the culmination of these first several arcs, leading to a new chapter in the series (much like how Claws of the Dragon was the culmination of the first few arcs of Legacy and set the stage for the next several).

BoromirsFan and spicer like this.
  20. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    we need just two... protowars and EU we got.. cause Disney movies will fit one way or another I trust. IF NOT, we can do the threeway still ;)

21. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Fingers crossed :D

22. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Another observation: DHC previously sort of gave us a glimpse at pre-prequel Jedi concepts in Blue Harvest. Now they're giving us pre-OT Jedi concepts, heh.

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  23. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    The Star Wars sounds fantastic - great news, and I'm glad DH is producing this. I'm a huge fan of any and all SW concept art (primarily Ralph McQuarrie's), and find Lucas' original drafts/ideas for the films (documented in many "Making of" SW books) quite fascinating. So, it will be very interesting to see a comic series based on these original story/stories.

Glad this is coming out before the potential shift of the license from DH to Marvel (which I hope never happens)...

24. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Maybe they could spin this off into a new universe entirely? I remember one of the drafts promised a sequel called "The Princess of Ondos"... Since the EU may very well be branching into multiverse mode with the sequel trilogy, why not...?

25. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I'm not such a fan of that idea. Cool as a one-shot, maybe as a reimagined trilogy. As its own established universe? No thanks. The main Star Wars universe and all-too-likely ST trilogy material coming is more than enough.