main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Will the Empire still exist in some form in the new trilogy? I wonder...

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by TheLateAdmiralPiett, Oct 31, 2012.

1. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I agree that most of it has been done by other people. But I just hope that Lucas can sit down with Kathleen and the writers and come up with something besides bringing a crippled Empire back under new leadership. Just the fact that it is an Imperial Remnant doesn't really carry a sense of power. I hope for a new, powerful opponent that the Republic has not face before rather than a re-vitalized, already defeated once Empire.

2. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    I feel like they should include, even if not a main plot point, some of the EU that has been done. I don't think Admiral Thrawn is much of an evil villian but you could have his character represented in some form or fashion. This brings me to an idea that Kenner toys had after ROTJ in making a line of toys with what they thought (Or Lucas told them at the time), was a line of toys that showcased the new threat to the galaxy and the hero's who would stop them. Of course it included some of our hero's from the OT such as Luke, Leia, Han, Chewy, and the droids. The Imperial Remnants included Thrawn, but also cooler characters such as Atha Prime's character. He was banished from the Empire and Palpatine, but rose to power and was a master cloner (being associated with Kamino and the clones) and he had Clone Warriors ( http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Clone_Warrior) who could make a SW movie look real. This character was made into the Power of the Jedi action figure known as the Imperial Sentinel.
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Atha_Prime

3. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Not being a fan of the EU (but not necessarily having anything against it because I realise it has its place) I think the Empire has had its time as far as the SW story goes. Palpatine and Vader are long gone (timeline wise) having some remnants of it feature in the ST would be like reheating old leftovers. It wouldn't taste as good as when it was freshly cooked.

4. Blue_10

Blue_10 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 13, 2001
    It just seems too far-fetched that every single being in the galaxy would immediately say "Glad that's over" with the Emperor's death. There'd have to be at least a few people that saw something to gain from the New Order. I hope the Empire is there in some form not just because I'm a Zahn fan, but because if movie makers have learned anything from Episode I it's that we need a little bit more than "laser swords" to visually connect the movies. I'd personally be okay with a few "legacy era" style updates to uniforms and such. But there's just gotta be some storm troopers!

Force Smuggler likes this.
  5. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Let me give a simple explanation for how the Empire collapsed due to Endor:

The Imperial military relied on Palpatine using The Force to get stuff done (see ROTJ novelization). At the end of ROTJ, the people of the galaxy rose up against the now-helpless military.

6. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I want to see an Imperial Star Destroyer, Tie Fighter (or variant), AT-AT (or variant) or some Imperial sympathies. The main enemy from the OT and the successor to the Republic from the PT gone for good? No I can't see it. I want a new villain but I still want the Empire in some role.

7. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    It's hard to know what their "galactic society" is going to look like in the ST. There are a lot of different directions they could go.

darklordoftech likes this.
  8. DarthBlanco

DarthBlanco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2004
    When an empire falls, it creates a power vacuum. Very chaotic times. This chaos is generally exploited by idealists and opportunists.

9. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    And that is what I am personally hoping to see the ST address. I don't want a happy shiny EU style "New Republic". I want to see a splintered society facing the struggles you describe.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  10. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    The problem is, they've had fourth years so far to get to work...so what have they achieved?

11. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    • Chaos Reigns Supreme! Entire planetary systems are at war with each other! Not just Confederacy vs. Republic or Rebels vs. Empire but oodles and oodles of systems just all each others' throats
    • In walks a Sith Lord and his non-rule-of-two giant Sith Lord army who offers order by either accepting his rule or being crushed by it!
    • Luke Skywalker and his ragtag band of new Jedi order students can be the only ones who can stop them!
    • Chewbacca is a drunken barfly who spends his time ripping the arms off serving droids for fun!

12. GODLIKE

GODLIKE Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 28, 2012
    I want to see the galaxy in a complete mess with like hundreds of powerful groups trying to take over the galaxy at the start of the movie. The rebel alliance wanted to restore the republic and the empire wanted to destroy the alliance to create peace. The empire basically ruled the entire galaxy and the rebels were a group that came from the empire that went against the current leadership or were they a group that formed outside the empire. I'm guessing if they came from within they would try to gain enough support so they can take over and turn the empire back into a republic. Would they gain enough support to rebuild the republic maybe there are other people that want to do something different there is a good chance the empire would fall apart because no can agree. Is the alliance a group that came from outside the empire maybe they make an agreement where both can remain. I guess the rebel alliance would then turn into a republic and they would start from scratch which means they would still be really small even in 50 years. If they continue fighting i don't think the rebels would stand a chance and if the empire falls apart it would create even an bigger mess cause the entire galaxy would be at war to take control. There are lots of ways this could go i hope they make an interesting situation because this is a continuation/conclusion this not a reboot so it shouldn't feel like one. I don't want a strong New Republic with a rebuilt Jedi order

13. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    The problem is that it wouldn't be immediate; assuming the ST has about the same time difference from the OT as real life does, we're talking about 40 years since the fall of the Empire.

14. Darth_Quintonis

Darth_Quintonis Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 31, 2013
    STAR WARS
    Episode VII:
    BLACK SUN RISING
    After the defeat of the Emperor at the hands of Anakin Skywalker
    and his son Luke, the Rebels thought that the day had been won.
    The Rebel Alliance was wrong ...
    For thirty long years it has been a deadly war of attrition
    between the struggling Rebel Alliance and the Empire that
    Palpatine left behind, lead by a secret commander.
    In order to discover the identity of the one commanding
    the Imperial Fleet, Ambassador Solo pilots the Millennium Falcon
    to Coruscant on the most dangerous mission of his life ...

15. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    This would be the most viable route for the story to follow. And I want to see Coruscant looking a bit old, a bit run down and dirty. We've seen its hey day. Now lets see it reflect the times of those living there. If its gonna be chaotic times with one group against the other and other splinter cells battling for power, then let the environment reflect that.

Son of a Bith and Force Smuggler like this.
  16. Darth Vader's Chest Plate

Darth Vader's Chest Plate Jedi Master star 2

Mar 18, 2013
    The empire will have disappeared, corporations will be ruling the galaxy. Maybe an entertainment giant that's buying up all media and popular franchises could be the villain - called I don't know Dalt-Wiz-Knee maybe, apprentice Myyky-Mowz too?

The entire film could be set against a back drop of Corporate Empires all vying for control of the public's purse. Luke is recruited as a free lance marketing exec due to his jedi mind tricks working to sell their wares.

Marc McAllister likes this.
  17. Darth Vader's Chest Plate

Mar 18, 2013
    I really want to see the The Bounty Hunter's Guild as one of the splinter cells. I don't know why but I want to see the shady and unpleasant side to Star Wars, the best stuff in the films is the back ground characters in the canteena, Jabba's palace and the bounty hunters in ESB.

Force Smuggler and Jcuk like this.
  18. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    Maybe one of those corporations will be the ones who manufacture uniforms for the Empire? That way there could still be a Stormtrooper variant.

Maybe one of those corporations will be the ones who manufacture starfighters for the Empire? That way... oh hell, you all know what I'm saying ;)

ETC ETC

19. Darth Vader's Chest Plate

Mar 18, 2013
    I was really going more like Dr Evil in Austin Powers when No2 points out that there's no world to rule, it's all just corporations.

20. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    Ah I see. I missed the humour of your post. (Maybe I would have seen it if I'd quoted your entire post ;))

I was just pointing out it's a way to have the Empire without having the Empire.

21. janstett

janstett Jedi Master star 3

May 29, 2004
    Lucas cites Rome and Nazi Germany as his models for the Empire. Looking at each empire's destruction may provide clues.

- When Rome (the city) fell to invaders the Empire split in two. The Eastern Roman Empire, centered around Constantinople, survived for another thousand years, while the western half descended into the Dark Ages and civilization centered around city-states.

- Germany was picked apart by the conquering armies and then under the new struggle of the Cold War became East and West Germany; both sides raided Germany's scientists to exploit for their own purposes.

22. Darth Vader's Chest Plate

Mar 18, 2013
    That's going close to crossing over into Captain America / Magneto story there.

23. Han Yolo

Han Yolo Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 7, 2013

I think youre on to something here. Even so think of how TPM started, I think the first movies will be more "tame" setting up a larger evil. One of the big 3 (Han) may die to make the threat real and likely thats how that movie will end. You wanting more, galaxy in chaos, Han dead, minds blown.

24. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    I disagree. I think we're going to be thrown straight into the action like ANH. A street battle on Coruscant between warring splinter cells.

25. Han Yolo

Han Yolo Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 7, 2013
    I feel like if you have a high level of fighting throughout you are not really doing justice to what the rebels worked for in the OT. We should see the galaxy in peace, at least for the start of the NT, even if only for a brief time.

JainaSoloYJK likes this.