main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga If introducing someone new to SW. Which trilogy would you have them watch first?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Jcuk, Mar 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    I know which one I'd suggest. Thoughts.

2. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    I'd probably explain to the person how they came out and why they were released that way, and then leave it up to the individual to decide the order.

I think I'd prefer to show it in chronological order, though, so that they are able to experience the rise, fall, and redemption of Anakin Skywalker.

3. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007
    In official chronological order the way it was always meant to be. The way the artist who created it wants it to be seen and worked his whole life for it to be seen.

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...

There was an adventure unlike anything on your planet...a timeless, epic Saga of rebellion and romance, of heroes and villains and alien worlds...and the climactic clash between good and evil. The story of a boy, a girl and a galaxy. The story of a sons generation struggling to right the wrongs of his fathers generation. A story of redemption, freedom from enslavement and the importance of balance.

...for those who remember, for those who will never forget and for whole new generations that will experience it for the very first time.

The Star Wars Saga. By George Lucas.

Thats what they used to say 20 and 30 something YEARS ago and it still stands today. Every word of it.

And he spent his entire career working towards that simple basic goal. For his masterpiece to be seen from beginning to end the way he crafted it.

4. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jedi_Ford_Prefect Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2003
    I'd do straight numerical. I sometimes think 4-5-1-2-3-6 is an interesting order, but it really wouldn't make any sense to a new viewer, and the only benefit you get is to preserve a plot-twist that's been common knowledge since the 80's.

5. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    IX - VIII - VII - VI - V - IV - III - II - I

6. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    In the order they were made

7. Aaronaman

Aaronaman Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 12, 2013
    Some one might be able to shed some light on this but I've seen Episodes IV, V, VI but I've never heard of the other three???

thesevegetables and hear+soul like this.
  8. Kev Snowmane

Kev Snowmane Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2013
    ^ I, II, and III are the Prequel Trilogy (Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones, Revenge of the Sith).

And as for order, production order wins for two very compelling reasons: 1) Chronological order curb stomps all over the big surprises in Empire and Jedi, and 2) several moments in the PT have a lot more "punch" if you've already seen the Original Trilogy.

Barbecue17, TKT, JediWheelz and 4 others like this.
  9. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    The same can be argued for going the opposite order, however. Watching IV, V, and VI before I, II, and III 'curb stomps all of the big surprises in Revenge of the Sith' and several moments in the OT have a lot more 'punch' if you've already seen the Prequel Trilogy.

10. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    The one biggest moment of 'punch' in the entire saga is the revelation on Bespin. IMO that moment defines the whole saga. The PT is defined as a back story, which is exactly what it is. How Darth Vader was seduced by the dark side. Upon hearing that Vader is Luke's father, his back story has much more relevance because it becomes infinitely more intriguing how he came to be. That's what I think anyway.

11. Jedi General Gelderd

Jedi General Gelderd Jedi Master star 5

Mar 6, 2004
    I have to go for the rise and fall of Anakin Skywalker, from introducing them to his world in Episode I right through to his redemption in Episode VI.

I couldn't ruin certain moments and explain things to them watching IV, V and VI first and take away their expectance from I, II and III.

12. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The way I would do it is 4,5,start of 6 through Dagobah then 1,2,3 then rest of 6. The Darth Vader reveal is more important to me than the reveal of Palpatine as Sidious.

Barbecue17, TKT, darth ladnar and 6 others like this.
  13. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Numerical order starting with The Phantom Menace, because that is how George intended us to see them. Also would make the "Darth Sidious" revelation much more intriguing.

14. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Lucas might want us to see it 1-6 but its up to the person watching it.

15. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    Vader was only iconic because of 4-6. Which were known as 'The Adventures of Luke Skywalker' . They weren't known as 'Anakin Skywalker-The Later Years'

16. natureboy76

natureboy76 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 11, 2009
    I'd have them watch the way they were introduced. 4-6 then 1-3. I used to think otherwise but have changed my mind as of late. I shown my daughter the movies in that order and probably will show my next kiddo the same:)

17. Bale

Bale Jedi Master star 4

May 9, 2005

TKT, JediWheelz and CaptainHamYoyo like this.
  18. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Was that in the fine print?

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  19. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    That's what I originally heard them being known as.

20. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    You heard wrong.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  21. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    The original trilogy should always go first when introducing someone new to Star Wars.

TKT, JediWheelz, vinsanity and 2 others like this.
  22. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    Sorry, ORIGINALLY known in the novelisation of Star Wars as the adventures of Luke Skywalker. Of which ANH was based on.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  23. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    I think you have that backwards. Films aren't based on their novelizations.

FRAGWAGON and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  24. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    The novelization came out first.

25. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    The point though, is that the first three films are about Luke. And they are.

I also think there are so many things that are in the PT that you actually have to have seen the OT first to appreciate

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.