main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Vintage Collection?

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by daveeek, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Considering how important a character he is, Kenner/Hasbro really hasn't done that well by Emperor Palpatine IMO (Versions of him as the humble senator all look ok to me). At this point the only one I own is the original Kenner version, but I was just thumbing through Steve Sansweet's new "Star Wars: The Ultimate Action Figure Collection" and most of the Emperor incarnations of our favorite Galactic Potentate are a bit wonky. From funky poses to unfortunate soft-goods robes, few manage to capture the character. Honestly the one that does the best job of it IMO is the 2nd Emperor figure ever made, from the POTF 2 line. There's not much in the way of articulation and the sculpt is pretty basic, but it's a nice representation of the character.

As far as pre-ROTJ Palpy's, the ROTS/Sith Evolutions version is really good (If you remove the bulky robe).

Darth Venator, as far as Padme goes my favorite is the Ambush on Ilum "Snowbunny" figure. It's not a figure for articulation fanatics, but it comes with a neat fur-trimmed hooded cloak and it looks great on display.

2. Darth Venator

Darth Venator Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 1, 2013
    I'd have to agree that they aren't the most on-point likenesses, thats for certain!

The Sith Evolutions one does stand out as one of the best, but it has eluded me for quite some time! I've got the repaint from the 2012 movie heroes line which is great (I've managed to just about get the robe working in my favour for display!), but the lightning hands in the Evolutions version look quality. Its on my 'to get' list!

As far as TVC goes - the RotS version's face is nice, but the robe isn't great which is a real shame 'cause it would've been a great contender for the definitive Palps... I was sad to see TVC only doing TPM and RotS - a RotJ version with the evil grin and walking stick would've been amazing!

But, I think I'd have to agree with the PotF version capturing the 'Emperor' side of the character best. I quite often find the figures with lesser articulation turn out great looking - Nute Gunray and Rune Haako being prime examples.

JUKE-SKYWALKER likes this.
  3. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    I've gotta believe the next new Palps they do will be ROTJ-era. Given that 2013 is its 30th anniversary, this would've been the perfect time for it.

I agree. I used to be all about articulation, but now I've done a 180. I'll take a great sculpt, good paint app and a good neutral pose over some flimsy-floppy figure any day. Of course articulation doesn't have to mean flimsy. My 80s G.I. Joes have great articulation, but they're tough as nails!