main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Summer Season Box Office

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jabbadabbado, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    The summer movie lineup is almost on us, with Tom Cruise's Oblivion launching the season in a few weeks. These are my rough predictions for worldwide box office, in millions. Monsters University and Iron Man 3 are in my view the only summer releases with any predictable potential of closing in on $1 billion. I give World War Z the highest odds of being the biggest commercial flop of the summer.

21-Jun: Monsters University $850
    3-May: Iron Man 3 $800
    3-Jul: Despicable Me 2 $700
    19-Apr: Oblivion $650
    7-Jun : After Earth $600
    17-May : Star Trek into Darkness $550
    19-Jun : Man of Steel $390
    26-Jul : The Wolverine $385
    12-Jul Pacific Rim $350
    9-Aug: Elysium $350
    21-Jun : World War Z $300

2. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    21-Jun: Monsters University - this will meet expectations and perform well. not toy story 3 money, but better than cars2
    3-May: Iron Man 3 - the avengers hooked everyone. It's going to be a beast.
    3-Jul: Despicable Me 2 - mild success because its a kids movie, monsters u will beat it
    19-Apr: Oblivion - Tom cruise and Morgan freeman together spells success. Eh movie with big money made.
    7-Jun : After Earth - will smith is a huge draw. I think this is going to be big
    17-May : Star Trek into Darkness - big money, but I think it will not be as big as they hope
    19-Jun : Man of Steel this is the toughest call. Snyder can't be trusted. But being backed by Nolan could be huge. I think it will be huge.
    26-Jul : The Wolverine average money, ppl were burned by origins
    12-Jul Pacific Rim - I desperately want this to be huge, but I fear it will be a let down
    9-Aug: Elysium - flop
    21-Jun : World War Z - won't be a flop thanks to zombies and brad Pitt, but won't be a monster

3. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Iron Man 3 is unlikely to be much better than Iron Man 2 in terms of quality, but it will definitely get some kind of Avengers box office bump.

CloneUncleOwen likes this.
  4. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    I think After Earth is a sleeper to make some huge money. WIll Smith is a big draw.

5. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    21-Jun: Monsters University - this movie is going to perform so well martha stewart will literally die when she sees the numbers.
    3-May: Iron Man 3 - an actual gate to hell will open due to the box office success of this film.
    3-Jul: Despicable Me 2 - jesus will return just to see this movie. it's going to do great.
    19-Apr: Oblivion - i've heard word that this film is going to be mandatory viewing in china, thus automatically making it the most successful film of all time.
    7-Jun : After Earth - the draw of will smith is going to affect the earth's gravity, leading to several weeks of horrible natural disasters.
    17-May : Star Trek into Darkness - the enormous success of this film will lead to a revitalization of america's space program and humanity's eventual conquest of the universe.
    19-Jun : Man of Steel - millions will go deaf due to the thunderous stampede of people rushing to see this film.
    26-Jul : The Wolverine - people of earth will finally break free of their years long battle with depression as they are reunited with hugh jackman's sideburns. innovation will skyrocket.
    12-Jul: Pacific Rim - finally the giant mech things nobody knew they were waiting for. guilllermo del toro is cemented as the greatest man to ever live.
    9-Aug: Elysium - i have no idea what this is.
    21-Jun : World War Z - people ****ing love zombies. this movie is going to make their hearts explode.

6. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Elysium.starring Matt Damon, is Neill Blomkamp's follow-up to District 9.

7. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    MIB 3 underperformed, and it's directed by M. Night who hasn't made a watchable movie since Signs. I watch The Village for a good laugh or two, but that one doesn't count.

8. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    the happening is way, way funnier than the village.

9. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I haven't seen that one yet, but I have watched the part where Marky Mark talks to a plant. Such great acting by a master thespian.

10. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    After Earth is so hard to call- Will Smith is an automatic big opening weekend. But M. Night hasn't made a good film since Signs, and hasn't made a non-horrible film since Lady in the Water.

If it sucks, it'll definitely dull the Smith draw long-term. If it's just so-so, it'll probably ride a respectable amount on Smith's name like MIB3 or Hancock.

Elysium will depend on how the film looks- if it looks good in trailers, then the "From the Director of District 9" will sell some tickets. If it's trailer doesn't sell people, the D9 link will not help much.

11. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Brad Pitt and Will Smith have both staked a lot in their movies. Shyamalan could not possibly have screwed up Last Airbender more.

12. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    The new Man of Steel trailer is really good. Russell Crowe as Jor El - did not see that one coming.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  13. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Ouch. Remember, a Superman film has to make 500 million or it's a failure!

14. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I saw the first trailer for Oblivion a few days ago and it looked really good. And I'm definitely looking forward to Man of Steel.

15. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Oblivion has a 58% on RT. If you apply the standard sci fi handicap to it, that's about the equivalent of a 75% RT score. So, I'm definitely going tonight.

16. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Really? I'm expecting much better than IM2 since IM2 sucked that much.

R2-DK likes this.
  17. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Just one of those things about movie franchises. The first one is good because everything clicked. But don't ever expect a sequel to be any good. Every once in a while, audiences get ESB lucky. But mostly, they get Highlander 2 lucky.

18. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I can't decide if R.I.P.D. looks awful or not.

19. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    There's always Zombieland: the series available only on Amazon. That should be good.

20. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    And Arrested Development season 4 on Netflix.

21. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    After Earth has been moved up to May 31. So it opens a week after Trek and two weeks before Man of Steel. I don't know if that means they decided Man of Steel was the bigger threat or if it doesn't mean anything.

22. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    With an opening weekend of $38 million and ten days overseas for a $150 million worldwide total, it looks to me like $650 million is out of the question. It could make $325-$360 million, maybe even $400 million since it hasn't opened in Japan or China yet. But I'll be surprised if it makes more than $120 million in the U.S. Cruise delivers a compelling performance though. For anyone who doesn't want to think too much about the plot or how ineptly derivative it is of other, better movies, it still can deliver a solid 2 hours of entertainment.

23. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Still not sure about AE. I want it to be good, but I also wanted The Last Airbender to be good and haha that was terrible.

24. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    The movie doesn't seem like a good fit for Shyamalan any more than Last Airbender seemed like a good fit. But I'm willing to bet Will Smith asserted a lot of control over the process to make sure AE didn't have much of Shyamalan's trademark slow burn style. Still begs the question why anyone would ever trust Shyamalan to make an action movie.

25. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I get the feeling that Will Smith is barely in the movie, and that it's all on Jayden's shoulders to carry it which is fairly risky.