main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit L-Canon -- or, Taking Matters Into Our Own Hands (Final Results Announced)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Mar 6, 2013.

1. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    I actually like this--I know this thread already decided "Obsession's" place as during TCW, but I sort of preferred to have it post-TCW since 'Jedi vs Sith-Essential Guide to the Force' has Kenobi recording 'Obsession' as Ventress' fate during his Tatooine exile. Once Anakin finds out about this 'Barriss-undercover' operation, he "kills" Ventress in a fit of rage on Coruscant, which sends her fleeing back to Dooku for medical help and setting up 'Obsession' post-TCW...

2. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Well, this is the easiest, because you're just dealing with Jedi. Barriss spends a long time meditating and in counseling with Luminara and T'ra Saa and realizes her mistakes. She repents and by the end of the war is cleared to return to the field. The Jedi work the way we hope they would and a good character is redeemed and restored.

Alternatively, Reversal of Fortune featured her cousin, Barriss'c Offee.

3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Barris is a traitor and a murderer. She managed to escape captivity and, due to her obsession with Jedi, wormed, lied, tricked, jedi-mind-tricked, force-choked her way into leading a squad of clones for her own evil, unknown scheme purposes. Ironically, as soon as everything was A-Okay, Order 66 comes down and she gets blown up. This is probably the only time that Order 66 turned out to be a good thing.

4. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Barriss is a clone of Baris. Done.

5. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Barriss comes to realise in detention that the Jedi aren't the reason for the war, the Sith are the one's who are truly responsible for the conflict and its perpetuation yada yada yada. She understands that the Jedi don't relish the war, rather see it as a way to bring about meaningful and long-term peace to the galaxy. With approval from Yoda, Luminara, T'raa Saa, the Supreme Chancellor and the Jedi Council, Barriss attempts to atone for her sins by taking a new Padawan, Zonder, and believes that the quickest way to ending the war is to fight the Separatists in earnest and draw out the Sith. Perhaps the dwindling numbers of Jedi left able to lead troops necessitated this decision? Have her appear in a novel set after TCW paranoid about the Sith's influence and the need to hunt them down, and it'll be perfect.

This decision to reinstate Offee as a general is a secret from the wider public, though Palpatine has Sate Pestage secretly release it to the media, creating a further mistrust of the Order by the public.

6. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Regarding all the redemption scenarios: but what of Tarkin? The whole reason that arc played out like it did was because the Council felt pressured to hold someone accountable to the Republic justice system for treason--precisely because the public would've seen the Order as being too lenient on one of their own.

Iron_lord likes this.
  7. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    exactly... pure redemption alone is unlikely to work.

She got to proof to the public including Tarkin that they can forgive her! So after her own full trial, Barris will be sentenced not to death but to be sent to the Ghost Prison, but since that is a Jedi run prison, Tarkin and military detachment will deliver her there personally as well as leave a unit behind to not have the Jedi do something stupid like free her.
    En route to the Ghost Prison though, the Separatists attack the Judical Forces Fleet that is transporting several high profile prisoners. Ahsoka firsthand sees the ships boarded and criminals freed as well as atrocities of the Separatists on the crew of the ships.. deciding to help the defenders, a clone she knows from earlier uncuffs her and hands her a weapon. Initially Tarkin is against that when he learns of it but ultimately she saves Tarkins life so he lets it slide. Later at the Ghost Prison though, Barris willingly turns herself in and Tarkin is forced to admit to her "good" behavior that saved them all leading to good evaluations of her and a much shorter time in prison, with a potential death sentence lifted. This then, not to Tarkins liking, leads to Barris redemption and being set free late in the war on Palpatines express orders, where she gets a Padawan not just to proof herself but also to have him check on her for the Council since they did not want her wandering around alone still.

Of course we can add the geonosian brainworm angle to her defense too with scientists uncertain if a renewed infection or genetic residue of the last infection is at fault for her behavior, or if she just uses it as excuse. Which leads to conviction, yet a milder one in favor of the doubts. But I doubt she was infected.

8. Darth_Culator

Darth_Culator Jedi Master star 2

Dec 10, 2005
    The stress of the war led to dissociative identity disorder. It's been done before, even with Jedi.

Once so diagnosed, standard hocus-pocus and handwavium applies to her treatment. Evil Barriss is gone and she's back in action in time for Order 66.

Ulicus and Esg like this.
  9. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Palpatine pardons her a few days before Order 66.

cthugha and Esg like this.
  10. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    exactly my point ;)

11. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    I'm staying out of this one. If no more TCW is ever made, then she's likely just redeemed somehow shortly before the webcomic, and her death was featured in the movie adaptation, not a Republic comic. The comic movie adaptations are almost infinities themselves.

Also, I hesitate to touch this partially because who knows if she'll appear in the bonus material?

Still, if she's freed only weeks before Order 66, I doubt Tarkin will care much. I just assume Luminara bitch-slapped her upside the head at some point.

12. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    I hear the argument that the Jedi are idiotic enough to let Bariss back in. We're talking about Mace Windu & Co. after all. But would Palpatine ever let her lead troopers in the battlefield? Please!

All ideas that would allow for it are extremely convoluted and flat-footdedly jump around the fact that redeemed Bariss is just too ridiculous. It makes me sad to see so many of you go along with it (because I kind of expected this response), and I apologize if I'm being rude, but I have to say it.

To use the "loudest" analogy: Osama bin Laden was all for the USA when the mujahideen were trying to get the Soviets out of Afghanistan, and the CIA apparently was all for Osama bin Laden. Ten years and an insanely high-profile terrorist attack later, he's USA Public Enemy No 1. You see that story ending with bin Laden ever again being in the good graces of the United States government? No. Same with Bariss. It's not happening. She planted a bomb in a guy and blew a hole through the Jedi Temple at the height of the most heatedly anti-Jedi period in SW history. Even if she's diagnosed with dissociative personality disorder, Geonosian brainworms, bota addiction and the mumps combined, she's never seeing the light of day again, much less frontline action.

I don't want to see Ventress's redemption get screwed for no reason whatsoever, nor do I see any options for reinstation that makes sense to me (except Zorrixor's proposal, and, let's face it, that makes sense in SW ;) ), so I have to say that Reversal of Fortune is Bariss-less, which is what's canon now anyway.

So, no Bariss, you most assuredly cannot has redemption. You will hang for the sins of the Jedi, and you're probably one of the background corpses in Darth Vader and the Ghost Prison. Sorry. :(

CooperTFN likes this.
  13. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Yeah, I'm not a fan of redemption scenarios for Barris either, just because it really kills the point of the entire TCW arc. But instead of simply tossing out chunks of stuff, her post-TCW stuff plays out as is, but in the background she's doing it all for some, unknown / crazy / evil purpose as she manipulated various, well, everything to gain entry back into the Jedi order, just before she got explodey.

14. Starkeiller

Dec 5, 2004
    I'll reread Reversal of Fortune and get back to you. But doesn't she collaborate with Aayla? I think she does, but I'll have to check. Even if Bariss escapes from prison, mind-tricks an entire clone regiment, and somehow convinces a Padawan that she's his master, how would Aayla not attack her the moment she saw her running around Felucia?

15. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Barriss falling to begin with is just too ridiculous. I'd rather salvage the character than maintain the minimal integrity of the bull**** arc she was subjected to.

16. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Mind-tricks Aayla / pours something in her coffee to make her forget? Or she pulls a Darth Malak / Bastila Shan type mind-control scheme, thingamajig to make Aayla think that Barris was good. Huge stretch, could come with even crazier ideas to get it to cram together, but it does keep her TCW betrayal intact and the other story is still there too. Just behind the scenes it's complete chaos, as befitting crazy ole Barris.

17. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    This one works too. Y'know how Palpy basically forced Anakin onto the Jedi council? Palpy forces Crazy Ole Barris back into the Jedi order. He does this so she can die in Order 66. Yes, he could have just had a bunch of clones walk up to her cell and blow her to pieces but he's kind of a jerk like that.

18. Starkeiller

Dec 5, 2004
    I read it. Too much of a stretch for me to make, and my imagination does stretches like a Bulgarian gymnast in the '92 Olympics.

I'd love to see a wonder-working integrationist solution, but it's a tall order. Now I'm just waiting for a printing of Reversal of Fortune where they at least change the name to that of some previously unknown Mirialan Jedi.

I personally like how they chose Bariss to be the terrorist in TCW (with the exception of the "red suits me line" which seems to have come straight out of the writer's ass, but that's still standard Hollywood blockbuster writing, so I shouldn't be complaining about it in a cartoon). When she explained herself she made perfect sense -- the Jedi are servants of evil and they're going down, so %^&* them.

Circular_Logic likes this.
  19. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    Barriss is a good enough prisoner that she gets a probationary period, where she's serving the army again under Luminara's observation, even letting her instruct a Padawan while supervised.

20. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Agreed, the best part about her speech is that she actually is totally right. Be a shame to toss that. She's become disillusioned with the Jedi for what is actually the right reasons, she just did it in an incredibly terrible manner to prove her point.

07jonesj likes this.
  21. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    I know I've posted several times, but I was reading the novel Revan recently and wondered if the Jedi Council didn't take a dark turn for a moment. Perhaps with Palpatine's cooperation (which he would approve in taking Jedi down the dark parth), the Jedi decided to repeat their Revan "success" from millennia ago and mindwiped Barriss' newfound anger and criminal life to the pre-TCW innocent EU Barriss we all knew and loved. How public was Barriss' confession anyway? This could have been done with the cooperation of the Senate and Tarkin, and Barriss herself would be sent out into the field believing she had just recovered from some injury in the war that took time away from her...

darth fluffy likes this.
  22. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    This. Maybe add a twist of suggesting that they spin the story that she was 'undercover' or something - the Jedi Council would be uncomfortable, but might decide to agree due to the pressure they were under - and after Order 66, Palpatine 'reveals' that the Order told him that Bariss was really innocent and it turned out they were lying. (Too bad Barriss was killed resisting the clonetroopers who had orders to bring her in alive)

One more nail in the coffin of the Jedi Order's reputation.

23. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    The relationship between Palpatine and the Jedi is becoming increasingly strained near the end of the war. I could see Palpatine believing throwing the Jedi a bone, especially one that's utterly insignificant in the context of his larger plans, to be a sound political move with little risk. He could make it look like something the Jedi really had to argue for, when in reality he doesn't care one way or the other.

CeiranHarmony likes this.
  24. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
  25. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004