main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I'm telling my buddy Kay Dubya Jeter you're bustin' up his peeps.

2. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    At least he's getting a D'harhan out of this. :p

3. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    Lugija: Just saw your new addition. Missed it earlier cuz I must have been blindsided by TrakNar's madscientist attempts to construct a real-world D'harhan. Anyway, thanks for making my day -- I needed a laugh.

RC-1991, Lugija and TrakNar like this.
  4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    So, uh, I just saw the last surviving member of the ****ing Nuremberg Tribunal. Like... holy ****. Not usually given to profanity, but yeahhhhh. Guy's like 94 years old, he put 16 Nazi war criminals to jail, 6 were executed, and he was a WWII vet to boot and was one of the first few people into the concentration camps when they were liberated.

I mean geeez... this place is like a convention, but for crazy-ass accomplished people. Bunch of ambassadors, knights, foreign dignitaries.... and 'lil ol' me who's never accomplished much of anything. Rather humbling. :p Although it is kind of cool that I know exactly what they're talking about and can hold forth in a debate with the best of 'em.

5. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    I had a sandwich.

6. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I'll make you a sash that says "Episode VII Forum Mod". That's not entirely different from Nuremburg.

blackmyron likes this.
  7. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    At least there you have someone to back you up. You go into the Episode VII forum, you go in alone.

8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Well.

Perhaps this will enliven your day:

[​IMG]

You will note that he is, in fact, on the right.

Lugija and Gorefiend like this.
  9. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Just got back from Jurassic Park 3D. Not nearly as profound, but I loved that movie as a kid and still do.
    The conversion to 3D was top flight, nearly up there with Avatar. CGI still holds up well. Audio sounded cleaned up somewhat as well. And, most surprisingly, they adjusted the editing, especially in the first third. Certain scenes include more dialogue or slightly different dialogue, and what looks like a handful of alternate takes were used. Unfortunately, they still left out the TV cut scene of Ellie stealing the plant in the jeep.

I hope they do a Blue Ray release of the new cut. It's mostly minor wording changes, but two scenes benefit a lot. The "turkey" kid scene is expanded with more lines (which fit seamlessly, which means the editors are quite skilled when they cut that scene together for the 1993 release), and an additional line by Nedry when meeting Dodson that makes him slightly darker.

10. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Oh, I hadn't realized they'd made substantive edits to the film. I definitely want to see it again on the big screen -- it's the first film I can actually remember seeing in theaters -- and this makes it all the more appealing.

11. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    Ulicus and Gorefiend like this.
  12. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Guys.

The battle of Blackwater.

Guys.

13. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I thought they were just doing a straight-to-3D conversion, not revamping it. Looks interesting though. I'm planning to go probably tomorrow.

I'm mainly looking forward to the T-Rex breaking down the fence in 3D. And darker Nedry? Sounds awesome.

14. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Yeah, I saw that earlier today.

Kind of sad it didn't get the go ahead, honestly. Some more First Doctor adventures could have been fun, and having someone else voicing the character isn't anywhere near as sacrilegious as having someone else playing him entirely. (Shakes fist at The Five Doctors)

And old school Cybermen who wear socks on their heads are the best Cybermen.

15. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    So I saw the Evil Dead remake last night.

I'm pretty neutral about it. I didn't hate it, but I didn't really like it either. Modern horror moviegoers will probably like it.

If you do go to see it, stay after the credits.

After all the credits, there's a darkened Bruce Campbell face profile kind of that says 'Groovy.'

16. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I like some horror, but I have to wonder if my horror buff friend will tolerate it or hate it. Big fan of the original, so probably hate it.

17. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    I can’t stand horror and even I like the 3 Evil Dead films. :p Though I am sure the new one will suck as Raimi was not involved.

18. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Four hours left to back the new Torment game which is, at this point, now the most funded game in Kickstarter's history.

:D

With this and "Project Eternity" coming, I'm gonna be a happy chappy in the coming years.

19. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    How are Project Eternity and the new Torment going to be distributed? I'd definitely like to grab them when they come out?

20. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Then... do so?

I haven't paid a huge amount of attention to anything regarding the distribution, but then I don't think it's a huge concern in the digital age.

Though if you pledge $20 you'll have bought a digital copy of Torment in advance. At a discount. [face_whistling]

EDIT: Well, the $20 tier is all gone. So I guess it's $25 for the game, now. :p

21. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Is Chris Avellone on board yet?

And yikes, I've gotta buy my copy now. On that thought, I need to beat Planescape: Torment.

22. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
  23. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    The Avellone project that I'm most excited for at the moment is Wasteland 2. It's the closest we are ever likely to get to another Avellone-written Fallout game.

24. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    I wouldn't be surprised if we got another Obsidian Fallout at some point. New Vegas didn't exactly do badly.

25. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    New Vegas was also written surprisingly well, unlike Fallout 3.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.