main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT The "What-If?" Depository - ALL conceptual/hypothetical conversation goes here

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by SithStarSlayer, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    What's this, someone who dislikes what Lucas has done with the story but accepts it anyway? I already like you

2. natureboy76

natureboy76 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 11, 2009
    Couldn't agree more;)

3. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    I accept it as a matter of fact that these are the movies.

4. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    Pity they didn't mirror the way Obi-Wan kept popping back up in a coat of glow paint throughout ESB and ROTJ, though :p

5. ILNP

ILNP Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 12, 2011
    I think you're forgetting something that renders your inquiry largely moot. Qui Gon had put up the Queen's ship as collateral to cover his bet. Therefore, if Anakin had lost, Qui Gon would have lost his ship. Where's he gonna kidnap him too?

As to your second point. We sort of see that in the movie with Anakin running back to his mother. She then talks him into going.

6. Bushy162

Bushy162 Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 27, 2011
    Well here's the thing: I don't think it is because if you look at the lightsabers, they aren't properly rendered/lit up. I've studied these scenes a fair bit and on the DVD/Blu Ray the sabers in this shot are rendered. I think the image is a production photo that never got finished in terms of visual effects, which is a good thing because it perhaps gives us an insight into the layering of the glow.

7. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    Why didn't Qui-Gon's body disappear if he became a ghost? Or was his mind just sitting there for a dozen years trying to figure out exactly how to become a ghost? If so, did his long dead corpse suddenyl and inexplicably vanish when he became a full fledged ghost?

8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I don't think Qui-Gon would have outright kidnapped Anakin. I agree that he probably would have eventually worked out a way to get Anakin to Coruscant, but he would not have just taken him. Qui-Gon may be impulsive as hell but even he knows that's counterproductive.

Now I'm imagining Qui-Gon doing a "He is the Chosen One, you must see it!" on Watto and Shmi. [face_plain]

Eryndil and CT-867-5309 like this.
  9. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Well, if we're speculating on an alternate reality where Qui-Gon just takes Anakin, either by force or subterfuge, presumably he could do the same with the ship.

While we're throwing out alternate solutions, I suppose Qui-Gon could have left Anakin on Tatooine and came back later with the necessary value to trade for Anakin, assuming he got off Tatooine in the first place.

I agree with Coughlin, apparently Anakin is the Chosen One and what happened to him could not have happened any other way. It was fated, or something like that.

10. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Anakin was doomed. DOOMED!!!

[​IMG]

And thanks to Anakin, so was a good bit of the rest of the galaxy.

Because it was prophecied and he couldn't escape it, because, you know...prophecy and destiny.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  11. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    Thankfully he was destined to destroy the Sith, incidentally saving his son in the process, that was convenient.

12. Samnz

Samnz Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    I disagree.
    A prophecy is a prediction, either written or orally transmitted. Not destiny.

Whateven Anakin did, it was his choice and I think Shmi's words make that clear:
    "The choice is yours alone."

If Anakin hadn't won the race, I don't think Qui-Gon would have kidnapped him. As a believer, he would have assumed another "solution will present ifself". We have to consider that without Anakin's victory, Qui-Gon and the Queen wouldn't be able to leave Tatooine.
    It's all speculation.

13. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    I agree, but that's not the sense I get from the PT.

14. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    The way I see it, the point was less in the question of could have Qui-Gon taken him by force (or Force) or not.
    The point was to have Anakin to make the choice to go, and not have it imposed on him against his wishes.

15. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Yeah, there's quite a bit of idea that Anakin could not escape his "destiny." And from my personal POV, a destiny is something that is going to happen anyway regardless of what the person in question does--which is why I don't believe in destiny. People's choices do affect outcomes, in fact, while people may be put into circumstances beyond their control, the greatest affect on outcome is the choices people make and how they handle their circumstances. Not "prophecy" or "destiny."

I see a difference between that and a prediction, which is either related to the weather or a guess on the consequences of someone's choice.

Anakin being prophecied to destroy the Sith, almost destroys his story IMO.

Jcuk likes this.
  16. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    While I'm here, I don't see a problem with Shmi presumably forcing Anakin to go with Qui-Gon.

Shmi is his mother and mothers make similar decisions for nine year old children all the time.

Not only do I not see a problem with it, I would see it as a good decision.

Bold clarification mine.

This is actually what I think of prophecies in real life, they're just predictions that some people take much more seriously than I do. I consider real life prophecies to be about as noteworthy as an expert Super Bowl prediction.

Of course, to believe in prophecies one has to believe in prophets, which requires the belief in the divine, which I do not believe, but apparently the divine exists in Star Wars.

The sense I get from the PT is that Anakin did exactly what he was fated to do, which I don't find particularly compelling, especially since it lacked certain elements that would have made it more tragic.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  17. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    "Run along now, Johnny, go with this bearded, long-haired stranger in tattered robes we just met. He says he'll show you his spaceship!"

A fairly common motherly decision, indeed! :p

18. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    "Misread, the prophecy might have been..."

Even the Jedi acknowledge that what they believe may not be set in carbonite.

19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I agree. The Jedi would have given Anakin a better life than slavery on Tatooine. Shmi knew this much.

Regardless, there should not have been a prophecy in the first place. Anakin should have just been a gifted Jedi who made bad choices and then rectified them at the end of ROTJ.

20. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    That does not contradict my opinion.

I believe the Jedi did misread the prophecy, and everything Anakin did he was fated to do.

At least, that's the message I think the PT was conveying.

21. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Don't think Qui-Gon would have taken Anakin if he didn't win the race. It would have been the will of the Force. The way he saw it, them landing on Tatooine, meeting Anakin, Anakin winning the race were all the will of the Force. If somehow the Force deemed that this boy was destined to live out as something other than a Jedi, I think Qui-Gon would have been happy to leave him in peace. In TPM Qui-Gon commercial he is telling Anakin about how hard the life of a Jedi is. He wants Anakin to make the decision.

22. ILNP

ILNP Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 12, 2011
    Ahh but the ship needs repaired remember. That's why he's betting the ship. If Anakin wins, he gets the parts they need to fix the ship and fly it.

23. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    [face_plain]

Again, if he can take Anakin by force or subterfuge, he can take the parts he needs.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  24. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    He could have just taken the parts out of Watto's shop from the beginning instead of going through this whole ordeal of the pod race and gambling, if that were an option for him.

25. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    @anakinfansince1983 I agree.