main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars - 5.20 - The Wrong Jedi (Season Finale) - discussion thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Seerow, Feb 27, 2013.

1. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    You're correct and incorrect at the same time. GG likes to post short YT vids or gifs, neither of which are constructive. In that you are correct.

However, there is definitely room here for people who don't like the show, as long as they explain their opinion. So not like Garrett Atkins. ;)

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    LOL, nothing religious about a Bible verse?

As far as purpose--again, GG's or anyone else's purpose for posting here is none of anyone else's business as long as he isn't violating the TOS.

Asking someone why they post here and/or calling them "haters," which has gone on far, far too much lately, constitutes harassment though.

There's a Clone Wars Fan Club in SW Community and there is also an Ahsoka Fan Club there, probably a few fan clubs for other TCW characters as well. In there, it makes sense that any negative comments would be considered trolling and should be reported.

This place is a discussion forum, not a fan club, and the attempts of various people to try to form a "ZOMG THIS IS SO AWESOME!" choir by playing high-school-clique with anyone who disagrees, is really old.

Robimus, Esg and K'Kruhk like this.
  3. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Um why do you care so much? It's a legit question. I know he has every right to post in here, so that statement was pointless. I am just asking why because purely adding pictures like the one I quoted adds nothing to the discussion.

4. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    And for the record I do not praise the Clone Wars and say it's 100% perfect. The Gasgon arc was one such thing. However, I do think the show gets a lot right, and I enjoy watching it. That does not mean I slob all over Filoni and co.

5. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Um, no, it isn't. It's a question that is nosy at best, at worst it's a passive-aggressive means of trying to make posters who disagree with you, feel unwelcome.

Robimus, Darth_Zandalor, Esg and 2 others like this.
  6. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    What's wrong with asking for explanations when there is none (or not apparent)? And seriously, saying something "negative" is "trolling" - heck, I've said a few negative things about Obi-Wan in the Obi-Wan thread, but overall, the comments are not "hit and run" negatives, but intended to be thoughtful and focused.

Perhaps your definition of "negative" is more akin to "bashing"? If so, yeah, I'd consider that "trolling" in a "fan" thread, whereas I think negative is, well, :( rather than :).

TCW, overall, has been :(, its :rolleyes::confused: and :) Yeah, I'll miss it, even the less than sublime moments.

07jonesj likes this.
  7. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Asking for explanations of why someone is here, can't really be interpreted any other way than "GTFO," especially when combined with terms like "haters." And as I said, it's been really overblown. I got accused of trolling more than once for calling Ahsoka an idiot. And Ahsoka isn't a real person and doesn't post here.

When we're to the point where people are getting upset over a cartoon character being called an idiot, we've gotten way too damn sensitive. And I personally wouldn't want to post in a place where we have to censor our opinions of a work of art or a character because someone might get their feelings hurt. I also wouldn't want to post somewhere where no one can make a joke; all srs bsnss and no critiques allowed makes for a very dull place.

As far as criticism vs bashing, you're right, it would be bashing that wouldn't be tolerated in a fan club.

07jonesj likes this.
  8. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013
    Not that one. There's such a thing as general philosophy... but you wouldn't know unless you googled it. Doesn't matter. Those who did, got the point.

I didn't see anybody call anybody a hater, and I don't think asking someone why they post here constitutes harassment when the question is phrased more politely than the interjection which brought on... this is the internet. I've had sarcasm misinterpreted enough times to recognize that most words just have to be taken at face value. When somebody says "GTFO," by all means, you go get 'em though.

It's an equally highschooly act to go around interjecting short, negative, pointless, meme comments which add nothing to the discussion. This place is, after all, a discussion forum...

9. Praenomen Cognomen

Mar 24, 2013
    Also, I think a big part of the question was: Why do you watch TCW? Because that's a pretty good question, from a psychological perspective. I think anybody who has the courage to post random negative comments probably isn't going to be phased when they're asked that question.

10. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I don't do philosophy and I certainly don't feel like googling a Bible verse to get alternative meanings.

LOL, it happens around here at least a couple of times a week.

And polite harassment is still harassment.

Bottom line on this: it is possible to ignore the people whose posts you dislike rather than asking them why they post.

11. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    I own a Bible even though I don't consider myself a Christian. It's so important to Western culture, as a philosophical study it's so intriguing.

V-2 likes this.
  12. Praenomen Cognomen

Mar 24, 2013
    Not gettin' into a religious thing here, so the gist of the reference is: just because it's legal for you to do something, doesn't mean it's beneficial.

Or, if this is more your style, the inverse:

I just think it continues the internet into its neverending downward spiral, while certain enlightened corners of the internet have actually managed to eschew the need to simply ignore stuff, and actually enforce some sort of reasonable social standards that exceed those of middle school (even unmoderated forums, in some cases, if you can ever believe that!)

Either way, the cliquish behavior you describe and the need to constantly post short, pointless negative comments are equally immature... at best. This is inarguable.

13. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    LOL, censoring alternative opinions equals "enforcing reasonable social standards" and such alternative opinions are "middle school"? [face_laugh]

You do realize that you're proving my point for me, right? About how asking "Why are you here?" is the equivalent of saying "I don't like your opinion or your posting style so GTFO"?

Esg likes this.
  14. Praenomen Cognomen

Mar 24, 2013
    The post you're ripping into was in reference to GGrievous' post, which was just: "If someone calls TCW's writing good: (video)." That was not an alternative opinion.

What I mean by "enforcing reasonable social standards" is: calling a troll a troll. If you can only communicate in short, negative jokes... you're a troll.

V-2 likes this.
  15. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    If you don't treat Ahsoka and Cad Bane as gods... you're a troll.

16. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    No. The definition of an Internet troll is to post something for the sole purpose of getting a rise out of people.

Short, negative jokes are just that: short, negative jokes. You might not think they were funny, but that doesn't mean they were posted just to get a rise out of you.

Example, if I were to post that Ahsoka is an idiot here, I'm not trolling. I wouldn't post that to piss anyone off, there are only a few people here to whom I give enough thought to even determine what might piss them off--and those are the people I like, which means I'd try not to piss them off. I really do believe she was an idiot.

If I went into the Ahsoka Fan Club in SW Community and posted that she's an idiot, that would be trolling, as since it's a fan club, it's set up specifically for positive comments on Ahsoka. This place is not.

Garrett Atkins likes this.
  17. Praenomen Cognomen

Mar 24, 2013
    Well, I'm thrilled at this display of internet lawyering. EDIT: that sounded bad; "intrigued" is better, because I am seriously intrigued. However, I'm more inclined to live by more standard social rules, myself, so I'm afraid this argument just isn't gonna get through to me. If somebody just hopped around and interjected short negative sentences into everyone else's conversations, nobody would put up with it...

Also, Garrett: Not sure what you're implying, but I am a grown man. I tend to not talk about characters as if they're my real-life friends. Those who do are either young enough, or in such a place emotionally, that they don't need somebody arguing with them. Doesn't really do any good.

It seems that so much of this board is adults arguing with kids... :/

V-2 likes this.
  18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Here, this should help:

Definition of Internet troll

In Internet slang, a troll (pron.: /ˈtrl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is someone who posts inflammatory,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as a forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotionalresponse[2] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.

Sorry you don't get to just make up your own definition to cover "everyone who posts an opinion that I don't like." ;)

If you are going to assume that people who do not post in a manner that you like, are not "living by actual social rules"--in other words, if you are now insulting people simply because they don't want to play your game (what was that about social rules again?)--this conversation is done.

I will continue to call out the idiotic "Why are you here?" questions along with the "hater" labels wherever I see them though.

19. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Ah finally i found The Wrong Jedi thread :D oh wait... this is the pointless argument thread .. [face_frustrated]

Huyang, lbr789, Seerow and 2 others like this.
  20. Praenomen Cognomen

Mar 24, 2013
    There were edits in there; sorry, premature post.

Anyway, I don't think "Why are you here?" posts are always uncalled for. Calling somebody a hater... I dunno, that must just be its own thing. Some people do hate things, right? Anyway, just once, I'd like to see somebody answer for why they're here. I believe it's also in the TOS that forum posters shouldn't act like mods and enforce the TOS themselves... so, if it's all the same to you, forum poster to forum poster, I'd actually like to see an answer, just from a psychological perspective, from any of those willing to provide one...

21. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Why is it any of your business?

22. Praenomen Cognomen

Mar 24, 2013
    And the motive presents itself...

But guess what? I agree with GGrievous! [face_beatup] Writing was not TCW's strong suit. But between the individual you're calling out, and the one you're defending, the one you called out was the one acting in a more civil manner. End of story.

Why are any of these opinions anyone's business? I don't think it's too meta, on a Star Wars TV thread, to sincerely ask why someone who doesn't like Star Wars TV continues to post in a way that doesn't actually argue for or against anything more than: "it's bad."

23. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    What this thread has turned into
    [​IMG]

Huyang likes this.
  24. Praenomen Cognomen

Mar 24, 2013
    But yunno what? This is the whole thing.

I don't think the responses to the random interjectors are to blame for getting a thread off-topic. If anything, they're helping contextualize the comments of the random interjectors, and holding them accountable for said interjections. I really don't think that has to be policed as avidly as you are (and again... you really shouldn't be policing anything, as a non-mod).

25. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    Um lol...I welcome anyone who wants to discuss Star Wars. It is not a nosy question at all when it gets the LACWAC forum littered with posts that contribute nothing to the conversation.

V-2 likes this.