main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I knew that it would be the first real look at Coruscant - and that it was made by Lucasarts. That it was made by Lucasarts made it an instant purchase without further consideration, a policy that ended after that game.

I'll grant you that the stinkers are more memorable than the run-of-the-mill games, but that game plus the awful Indy Jones one (the one set in the Orient which had one of the most ridiculous uses of 'fog' to hide poor draw distances that I've ever seen) really soured me on Lucasarts... and that's not even including when they announced that they were no longer doing adventure games.

2. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
  3. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    This is not a good move, and I don't think that 1313 will be done by anyone else. 1313 is done cancelled and over with. Episode 7 and all the new content is were they are going. In other words forward

4. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I remember them saying a long time ago that he was just a placeholder, with the true main character yet to be revealed. Guess it was gonna be Boba.

So yeah, ****. Karkin' Disney.

5. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    No way that would live up to the hype.

6. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I hate the word hype so much, especially when it's used in regard to video games.

7. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    why?

8. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I could write an essay on it if I wanted, and I have in regards to the word "overrated" in regards to music (I can be nitpicky like that). Basically, I feel that "hype" is an abstract concept, and that it's impossible for any game to truly "live up to the hype". It's just this simple idea that leads to so many pointless fanboy wars. "Well, this game was good, but it didn't quite live up to the hype", when hype is purely something you make in your own mind.

As far as 1313 is concerned, I doubt it would have been as good as something like Uncharted, though the only ones who have ever promised that have been the fans. Buying into hype is a great way to set yourself up for disappointment, in my experience.

9. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Why settle just for the second one? :p

10. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    The TPM game was awesome. I'd take that over TFU any day. It was silly, and it had fun with the game mechanics on Tatooine and such, but I think that was more part of that era, and it had a definite quirky charm. I'll agree that post-1999, there definitely was a dip in quality, though. The golden age was over, and we got a mix of games, some good, some bad, some okay, but none reaching the heights of the Dark Forces/X-wing/TIE Fighter/Rogue Squadron era. Then we got a little resurgence, a silver age, with the Jedi Knight sequels, the KOTOR games, Republic Commando, and I'll even throw Battlefront in there, all within about a four-year run. They essentially haven't put out anything worthwhile since, which is much less than you can say of the 99-02 stretch, which was a regression but at least not barren.

11. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I believe it's sometimes looked down upon (though I'm really not sure), but I actually loved Battlefront 2. Fun campaign, and what can I say, I found the Jedi fun, if definitely overpowered (I never played online, so that never colored my perception of the game).

Esg likes this.
  12. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Who hated Battlefront II?

13. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Hate is too strong a word for it, utterly pointless and rather boring describes it better.

Zorrixor likes this.
  14. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    At least it got me into SW games, GF -- but then I discovered Jedi Outcast, KOTOR and Jedi Academy!

15. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    I am sad for anyone that missed out on the glory of the Clone Wars and X-Wing games. [face_plain]

Son of a Bith likes this.
  16. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Would love to get hold of any X-Wing game, GF, but wasn't into SW gaming when they were on the shelves! Probably rare as hens' teeth nowadays.

17. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Sad to see Lucasarts go, but its not really a surprise after all the recent news and rumors, and the company was only a shell of its former self anyway. 1313 had potential maybe, but TFU was horrible, TFU2 was worse and was already a very bad sign (publish a game that ends on a cliffhanger with not much intention to answer it). Even some of the best relatively recent stuff like KotOR wasn't made by Lucasarts, just published by them. Hm, wonder if even TOR is in danger from the new management.

Wonder what are the chance for all those old Star Wars games (such as TIE Fighter) to be released digitally now, if they're interested in just making money rather than making their own games now.

18. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    I am not sure how to feel about this - I liked Bounty Hunter well enough, and a spiritual sequal would be fun....but a game with new, non-movie characters was very refreshing.

I mean, we are not getting either now so it doesn't matter, but still.

19. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I'm sad to see Lucasarts go. Yeah, Star Wars Kinect was horrible as well as the latter clone wars games, and TFU 2 could have been way better. But, with good management things can always turn around. Now we won't see that happen.

To me the sad part of this entire deal is that Disney probably is getting all the patented stuff from Lucasfilm, lucasarts, lucasbooks, lucasanimation and incorporating it into their empire. Then systematically, there getting rid of the companies and the people who gave the souls to them. Yeah we can look at numbers and like everything some stuff is bad, but many of the stuff is just great. We know that for many years people involved with lucasfilm, books, arts, animation, etc gave everything and were passionate about what they did. I don't see this too much in other franchises. Its just sad to see everything go from the 20th century logo, to the companies, the people, and now everything is replaced with Disney. Lucafilm may be its own company, but they answer to Disney, funding comes through them. They are the money. Yeah were getting a star wars theme park and GL will be honered till the end of time, but star wars is changing into something that I'm not use to.

Thats why for the next two years I'm collecting the stuff that was planned before before the new style of things take over. Till that end, I want the Sword of the jedi books, crucible, the prequel trilogy storyboard book and all that cause thats going to change with the Episode 7 stuff. Heck, I'm now even looking forward to The Star Wars 8 issue comic book series because it represents uniqueness. Something that maybe Marvel wont have. And let me tell you unless Disney comes out and says outright that Dark Horse will keep the license I wont beleive anything else.

20. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Yeah, yeah, I know, Boba Fett is overused and overrated, and a continuity minefield. But Uncharted-style, in the sublevels? **** that would've been awesome.

21. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Though seeing how they made a whole trailer with a character who is clearly not Boba Fett this sounds like they got forced to put him in. Which is apparently nothing new for 1313, as per various articles that have surfaced the game concept kept getting changed every other week.

darklordoftech likes this.
  22. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    Ouch, before TFU I loved just about any game with the Lucasarts logo on it (minus Thrillville) and I see Empire at War and its expansion as the last Star Wars games I loved immensely.

23. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Don’t even get me started on what is wrong about Empire at War, though I will admit it has fun moments when playing it.

24. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    Look at the bright side, its not TFU. ;)

Although despite my uh...disagreements with TFU I really liked Sam Witwer and the story of Starkiller.

RC-1991 and Gorefiend like this.
  25. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Lucas Arts were nowhere near what they were, but I can't be too harsh on them, after all, once upon a time they did put out THIS:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.