main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Excited more for prequels or sequels?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by WhiskeyGold, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    I'm hanging on every snippet of official info! Be it interviews with the people involved, the OT cast or what have ya. I'm a grown man for crying out loud and It feels like I'm a kid with snot and marmite 'round his mouth when it comes to the ST LOL :) admittedly I was excited by the PT, but it wasn't like this for god sake.

2. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    Sometimes when I watch the OT I like to imagine alternate backstories.

3. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    Agreed. My imagining for the backstory wasn't nowhere near what I ended up seeing. That not a criticism just my point of view.

4. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I want more sequels before prequels.

5. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    This for me - but I only like marmite in small doses on occasion.

6. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    Who added the (Wo) to the man?!! Was that you DarthBreezy? Double Yoker!! Lol

7. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    It depends on how I look at it...but I would say for me if I'm more excited for these sequels. when Phantom Menace first came out I was only a senior in high school, and I knew nothing about it before the fact-until I saw a trailer for it in the theaters a few months before it came out. yes, I was super excited during that time, but after Spending the last seven years thinking that SW was over, only to find out that the trilogy that many of us have been hoping for for years is finally going to come to fruition, there's nothing to beat that kind of excitement in my opinion!!!

I am somewhat cautiously optimistic, due to the fact that I'm not sure how it will be handled now that it's "under new management," but I am more Inclined to trust that given who they've chosen to helm the production, that the trilogies in good hands... but as someone had mentioned before here, it's different this time around: we don't know how it's going to end! it's a sequel that takes place decades after return of the Jedi, which means the sky is the limit as to How the story will go. they could literally go anywhere with this! And that makes me very excited!

This ST could very well change the whole way I look at the Star Wars saga, and I don't think I'd mind that.

Jcuk likes this.
  8. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Prequels because I love backstories.

9. obi_kenobi_24

obi_kenobi_24 Force Ghost star 4

Aug 17, 2003
    Grew up as a kid in the 90's and 1st saw SW on TV on USA Network....but I always caught different episodes at different points in the movies over a span of couple of years...but I liked what I saw so much that eventually I had to buy the box set to get the whole story.....I was more of an outside kid who played more sports an things...and then probably Nintendo came next, so blowing most of my B-Day money for some movies was rare for me. But Im glad I made the investment in SW....

Anywho, I wore those VHSs out over the years and enjoyed when the special editions came out as well(Minus Han not shooting 1st). Every time Id make a run through the trilogy I always wanted to see how Vader got put in that suit....and how/why the empire were able to defeat the Jedi. Even with Vaders help, it always seemed really hard for me to believe that the great Jedi could have been wiped out like that...to the point of just Obi-Wan and Yoda.

I thought the ending to the OT just always felt naturally finished to me....full and satisfying so my mind always tended to wonder what came before not after. Had the OT ended differently I might be more excited to see a new trilogy outdo it. I still hope it does....but really there isn't this need for me to see a new trilogy. There was this need/want to for me...for the PT

10. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I'm excited for the movie, but not excited for all the bickering among fans that will come with it.
    I didn't feel a sense of limited possibilities with the prequels, because a lot of new ideas were presented. The Clone Wars and other aspects were still a mystery. There was a lot of unsure stuff about the Force and the Jedi. No one predicted the prophecy of the Force and Chosen One thing (even though I didn't like the use of the generic term "Chosen One") in regards to Anakin, or characters like Qui-Gon and Count Dooku, and I was intrigued by "a queen with a certain darkness about her" when I read that description in 1997 of the mother of Luke and Leia. Yes a lot of that didn't pan out (no one expected gungans and Yippee Anakin either) but it was a time of speculation and wonder, and probably more than before when all there was to wonder was how Luke would handle being told Vader was his father and if Han would be saved.
    As for prequels as a whole, I'm tired of them. Prometheus really bugged me.

Jcuk and Darth_Quintonis like this.
  11. Darth_Quintonis

Darth_Quintonis Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 31, 2013
    Absolutely more excited for the Sequel Trilogy! ^:)^=D=[face_dancing] (Although my excitement level for Ep.II was double what it was for EP.I and I was most excited to see Ep.III) I was in utero when ANH was in theaters, 2 yrs old when ESB came out and so I remember the ROTJ era the best from my childhood. When Ep.I was announced, I had kind of fallen away from all things Star Wars for a while. I was doing stupid teen age crap when the OT was re-released in theaters. I liked Ep.I, really liked Ep.II and loved EP.III ... Yet, I've always been that 5 year old that wanted to see more of Luke Skywalker, the Jedi Master, after ROTJ. It's so surreal that this is all finally taking place! :eek:8-}:)

12. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    I am more excited about the sequel trilogy and If it is an orignal story and not related to the eu I hope it is better then the Expanded universe!

13. Yodahasgreenfeet

Yodahasgreenfeet Jedi Master star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    I have attachments to both honestly but I'm not driving myself insane waiting for anything to come. I don't have strong expectations either way for these films. I think I'll be fine regardless of the outcome. I've already made my peace with Die Hard 4/5 and Indiana Jones 4. It's funny how what seems to be a negative thing often has sort of a reverse symmetry, expansion to it. I feel empowered to not be so attached and obsessed over movies and I don't have to wait for anything to come out anymore. It's nice.

14. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Gotta say, more excited for Sequels.
    We all knew what was gonna happen in the PT. Not all the specifics, but enough of the general plot and just kind of waited to see how it played out - from my perspective at least.

The Sequel Trilogy is something completely new, it can literally go in any direction. So yeah, ST all the way.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  15. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    I grew up eagerly anticipating the releases of Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith (I saw The Phantom Menace too soon after the originals to ever really have a chance to anticipate it).

For the time being, as excited as I am at the concept of more Star Wars, I am for the time being approaching the sequels with cautious optimism.

16. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Quite sensible, and rare.
    Overhype or overparanoia seem to be the dominant moods when anticipating any release, these days.

Darth_Quintonis likes this.
  17. janstett

janstett Jedi Master star 3

May 29, 2004
    It's impossible to be more excited than fandom was for the prequels. Nothing will ever be that highly anticipated again, ever. Nor will anything be as big a disappointment.

The ST is a chance at redemption, to salvage the franchise.

Before the PT came out, the worst fears we had to point at were Ewoks and Howard the Duck. We had no idea what lay in store, that George would ruin his own franchise. If George Lucas can ruin his own creation so badly, what's the worst a new generation can do?

18. Darth_Quintonis

Mar 31, 2013
    The worst a new generation can do? That's easy to answer: The worst a new generation could do, would be to listen to the vitriol and spiteful rhetoric, spewed forth endlessly, by people such as yourself about the prequel trilogy.

19. janstett

May 29, 2004
    George Lucas already ruined Star Wars beyond repair. If the creator utterly ruined it, could JJ Abrams possibly make it any worse?

Maybe you're afraid that a new generation of creative talent would be more faithful to Lucas' original creation than Lucas himself was.

George Lucas - the man who created, and then destroyed, Star Wars.

20. Darth_Quintonis

Mar 31, 2013
    I'm not afraid of much in life, if anything, much less your silly hypothetical scenario. Further more, I have quite a bit of faith that J.J. Abrams, Michael Arndt, Lawrence Kasdan and George Lucas will make another fine trilogy, that will be a wonderful addition to the franchise and accompany the first two trilogies brilliantly. :cool:

It is your silly opinion that Lucas ruined SW "beyond repair", which if you truly believed that, you wouldn't have been a member here since 2004. You seem a rather insincere fan of SW, I wish to have nothing to do with you, or your narrow-minded opinions on George Lucas or Episodes I-III. [face_shame_on_you]

[face_not_talking]

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  21. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Poor janstett... Star Wars is dead... time to retire your account here... :(

You will be missed.

janstett 2004-2005 +8 [face_flag]

22. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    If you really believe Star Wars has been destroyed, why even come here?

23. Son of a Bith

Feb 28, 2013
    You beat me to it, damnitall :cool:

24. janstett

May 29, 2004
    To tweak the delusional teenage foot-stompers who don't want to hear any criticism...

And in the hope some new blood can salvage the once-proud franchise.

25. Son of a Bith

Feb 28, 2013
    This seems petty. Also futile.