main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    But "an original story" doesn't necessarily mean "will render all previous post-ROTJ material impossible".

A story can be original and still make use of the occasional EU character, or mention, in passing, minor EU events.

JediMara77 likes this.
  2. kubricklynch

kubricklynch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2012
    I know, I was responding to this.

"I think disney is trying to decide on whether its an orignal story or EU for the sequel trilogy."

3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I see. In that case, we do have that confirmation, yes.

4. kubricklynch

kubricklynch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2012
    I'm sure there will be at least one or two EU references/characters in the ST.

Samayel_ likes this.
  5. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Did they say this or did they say 'original' story?

6. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    http://www.inentertainment.co.uk/20130404/separating-star-wars-episode-7-from-star-trek/ heres some talk about Star wars saparting from Star trek and EU stuff that may or may not happen.

We still don't know if it is orginal story or EU or a combination of both. This thread for now is still related to the term speculation. Even if it is an orignal story we don't even know if it will hurt the Expanded universe!

I mean they say it's orignal, but Timothy Zahn said lucas means one thing or another! And if it is orignal story it better bet the EU and be worth it because some fans who have read the novels from the expanded universe will be upset and on the other hand other fans who hate the Expanded universe will happy to hear that.

And on the bright side we can see chewbacca back in action.

7. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Please don't leave Chewie dead.

Darth Chiznuk , Vthuil, eht13 and 2 others like this.
  8. Rkstudios

Rkstudios Jedi Youngling

Apr 4, 2013
  9. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Can you stop posting that everywhere? The admins don't take kindly to things like that. Its borderline spamming.

kubricklynch likes this.
  10. jedimikey

jedimikey Jedi Padawan star 2

Oct 21, 2012
    In my mind, Chewie IS dead, Boba is still alive, Luke was married and has a son, etc.

However, unless D/LFL does something REALLY stupid, I'm confident the ST will be awesome wether they bring Chewie back or not, etc.

An "original story" doesn't neccessarily mean the EU will be ignored or cast aside...what it DOES mean, is that they will not be adapting any existing stories to film. They can make a new, original story while using existing EU characters, and nobody's hands need to be tied. 45 to 50 years ABY is wide open. In fact, the OT actors can easily get away with playing their characters as 5-10 years older than they actually are. Ben could be a grown man with a child of his own.

However, we all know how much GL changes his mind, and how LFL treats the EU when it comes to the films and TV shows. So, chances are that things will be changed, ignored, or whatever. Even if we go by what GL has said about the ST in the past (read the interviews with GL regarding the ST in "The Secret History of Star Wars"), we can't expect him to stick to that, because we know he doesn't always do that. He IS well aware of what's going on in the EU these days, but he's perfectly capable of picking and choosing. It has been established that Disney will honor his story treatments for the ST, but what that means is anybody's guess at this point.

But whatever they decide to do, I'm looking forward to it, short of complete foolishness.

Samayel_ likes this.
  11. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
  12. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    I kept looking for the rest of that article - pretty half-assed 'rant' if you ask me.

Darth Chiznuk and Ryus like this.
  13. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Yeah, the author seemed to be ranting about Lucasarts death meaning the EU will get killed beyond any reasonable doubt... and his childhood will get ruined too and Disney is evil. Worse it all being pure conjecture at best, at worst the conclusions he makes some times where out there. Then it ends but not before randomly adding in well maybe some of the EU will survive like popular characters just so if they do he can claim he was right later.

However the comments section of it was interesting occassionally... and lolz, reminded me a lot of what gets posted here on this thread quite often xD

14. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    I would hate to think I know more about the EU the George Lucas ....If he has his eye on the ball then he should come in at 50ABY then there is more scope & more characters can be introduced & he can invent more characters for Ep8 & 9 eg...Ben has a child & or Jaina has a child so these characters can continue on further maybe into Ep10 , 11 & 12 if they go that far.......

15. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    What threw me off in that article was this quote:
    I did not know Anakin Solo was fathered by Luke. That is an interesting twist in the Expanded Universe.;)

16. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    TBH, I think even I might know more about the EU than George does - it's just not on his personal radar other than "Don't do this" then "Where's my coffee?"

17. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    George isn't writing it, anyway, so it doesn't matter.

18. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    But it's based on his treatments - so, yeah, it does actually.

19. jedimikey

Oct 21, 2012
    Exactly.

Don't confuse the screenwriter (Arndt) with the actual creator/writer (GL), folks. Arndt WILL be honoring GL's treatment, whatever that ends up being...the point is that GL changes his miind all the time, so we have really nothing to go on, despite what he's said in the past.

20. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Presumably, Arndt will be saying exactly what Lucas wants to say, only better than Lucas would have said it.

JackG, eht13, TrandoJedi and 3 others like this.
  21. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Actually Lucas already stated his job was more, "you can do this but not that" these days than anything else. This implies he's giving them leeway and at least some autonomy, after all the purpose of selling LFL was so new writers could continue the story for the next hundred years and survive Lucas. He cant do that by smutthering them, he can do that by focusing them in his choosen direction and releasing them, while then guiding back those who go astray. Plus Lucas doesnt need to micromanage them, he's got Kathleen for that and Arndt who he hired long before the take over went though so he's very likely a Lucas Loyalist (but he's also rumored to be a big EU fan, still looking for the source of that rumor myself... but he is at the very least been said to be "well versed in the mythology of Star Wars" long before he was hired... source of the rumor... maybe?)

Lucas's story treatment is ten pages, Arndt's last stated draft is 50 pages... but episode IV's draft was close to a hundred. So clearly there is some writing still going on atm, most likely filling in the details and waiting for the big 3 to sign back on officially... still those details could mean a lot to the EU and for example Mark Hamill has previously stated his support for Mara Jade, so what if he wants her in the movie?

JediMara77 and jedimikey like this.
  22. jedimikey

Oct 21, 2012
    More power to 'em, then, I say. I hope Patricia Tallman gets the part! ;) Lol! Don't mind me, I just think Patricia's gorgeous, and a good actress as well.

But then again, she's supposed to dead... ;) Mara, that is.

Ryus likes this.
  23. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    Ewwwwwwww.......

24. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    Yup. Poor guy came out looking like this:
    [​IMG]

BigAl6ft6, Krueger and Jedi_Lover like this.
  25. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Yes... Arndt did a brilliant job on Toy Story 3, so his adaptation of Lucas' treatment for Episode 7 has me very curious but also pretty optimistic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.