main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Star Wars: Primarily a Kids Movie Adults Enjoy or Vice Versa?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Bale, Mar 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    It's not not for kids. Anything further is an arbitrary distinction (which I think can be said about a lot of movies, really).

2. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    How about the [face_laugh]-[face_laugh]-[face_laugh]-OT?

You could say that the OT is about the individual and the PT is about society (with some mutual overlap). In this sense, Lucas had to make the PT more extreme, since he was talking about more facets. I haven't seen anything else that aims to serve as a roadmap for young people -- in the form of a cinematic story -- and cover so much ground in the process.

3. Orochi Oni

Orochi Oni Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 8, 2013
    Star Wars are family films. They're made for everyone to enjoy.

V-2 likes this.
  4. janstett

janstett Jedi Master star 3

May 29, 2004
    Ultimately it's like the classic Looney Toons cartoons -- you enjoy them at one level as a kid, and then as an adult a new dimension opens up that you didn't even realize was there.

The difference being that the movies center around some heavy subject matter that makes them tilt towards adults -- good vs evil and choice in the OT, and political corruption in the PT. Perhaps that's why George overcompensated with Jar Jar in the PT.

V-2 likes this.
  5. darkchrono

darkchrono Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005
    They are films anyone can enjoy but they are directed towards kids. Lucas even states this.

V-2 likes this.
  6. Reveen

Reveen Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 4, 2012
    The Star Wars saga is meant for anyone! Even pyromaniacs!

Cryogenic likes this.
  7. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    They're family films.

I can't take the idea that they're made primarily for adults seriously.

8. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Indeed. The OT were even U-rated in Britain- which is about as low a rating as it gets.

9. darkchrono

darkchrono Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005
    I think the people who say they are for adults are adults who don't want to think they are watching kids films.

They can be viewed as family films but Lucas did make them primarily for kids or young people.

VMeran and V-2 like this.
  10. janstett

janstett Jedi Master star 3

May 29, 2004
    Clearly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cryogenic and CaptainHamYoyo like this.
  11. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    I really think you underestimate kids, personally. My brother watched ROTS when he was 6 to no ill effects. He certainly didn't like the burning scene, but it didn't turn him off the film at all. Likewise, he read the entire Harry Potter series by age 8 although some of the later books are more suited for older children and watched the films when they came out. I really think it depends on the child -- I saw my first R-rated movie when I was 11, so I don't think it's unreasonable for a child to watch a PG-13 movie with their parents. Especially Star Wars, which has a lot moral messages to impart.

Cryogenic, V-2 and VMeran like this.
  12. VMeran

VMeran Jedi Master star 1

Sep 5, 2012
    Likewise, my much younger brother is 10 right now, and his favorite Star Wars film is ROTS. And it's not as he saw it for the first time recently-- he saw it like by the time I was 14 or 15, and I'm 20 right now, which would make him like 4 or 5 years old by that time, so...

13. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    SW is a movie series for all ages. Everyone can find something to enjoy.

14. Wookiee_Vader

Wookiee_Vader Jedi Master star 2

Aug 21, 2007
    My father thinks they are kid films and finds it pathetic that I am still such a huge fan as an adult. Kind of annoying sometimes...

15. Ambervikings91

Ambervikings91 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    i don't think i really like how it is phrased, i think it is certainly both

16. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Oh god. Six-year-olds watched ROTS? Holy crap I feel so old now.

17. Obi-Wan21

Obi-Wan21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2002
    It's very clearly a children's movie, but by no means is that meant as a slight against the franchise. And this kind of target allows it to field the passionate child in all adults who haven't buried it beneath a crippling weight of pessimism and ignorance. Star Wars is an open minded series that warmly welcomes all of its viewers. It's why it has such longevity, why it is so personal to so many children and adults.

V-2 likes this.
  18. SweetZombieJesus

SweetZombieJesus Jedi Padawan star 2

Apr 12, 2013
    Immolation for the whole family!

19. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    A New Hope was without a doubt aimed towards older audiences. That was Lucas' original intention, as he didn't want it to be labeled as a kid's movie. Now, I'm sure that frame of mind has since changed once he saw the success and impact of the first few movies.

20. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    Whaddayaknow?

Another contrast: fire and water.

21. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    When? Before a few months ago, or now?

The answer now is: Star Wars is primarily an action movie franchise aimed at the same audience that the Avengers franchise is. Look around at the crowd when you walk in to see Iron Man 3 and Star Trek: Into Darkness. That's who the target demographic for Star Wars movies is now.

22. SweetZombieJesus

SweetZombieJesus Jedi Padawan star 2

Apr 12, 2013
    Did I miss the swimming pool at the bottom of the Senate?

23. Giovs

Giovs Jedi Master star 3

Apr 29, 2013
    It has something for everyone, but I do think Lucas intended it to be mostly for the kids... a family series I guess, that all members can enjoy.

24. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    It's for children. As for the scary ROTS scenes, it's really no freakier than Grimm's Fairy Tales. Our culture has effectively neutered children's stories of this sort of material in the past 30 years.

Wouldn't want kids to learn that moral actions have severe consequences.

Bob Octa likes this.
  25. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Tarzan hardly wore clothing, Cinderella stayed up late, Snow White stayed with 7 men, Pinocchio lied, Aladdin was a thief and so many others I can't remember. What a childhood we had.

Darth Dnej likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.