main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Official Star Wars Rebels Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by KED12345, Apr 4, 2013.

1. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    I would love a Dark Times show, but it seems that it might be a post ROTJ to help witht he momentum of EP7.

I agree as far as the animation setup goes (models, sets, etc), BUT my fear is that Disney had a problem with the $2million price tag that each TCW episode cost. Add that to the lay offs of Lucasanimation and Disney stating that any future TV animated series would be handled by the Disney companies, I don't have high hopes for a TCW quality like show :(

But I hope I'm wrong..

2. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
  3. Embomania

Embomania Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 2, 2013
    Anyone else feeling cheated here? We invested the last 5 years into this show that I myself was skeptical about. It proved me wrong and in doing so made me fall for it even more than I expected. Now here comes Disney basically saying "we're going to end that show because we own Star Wars now and make this new animated show that'll be our very own". It's like when you get a new boss or a step-parent. They come in and change everything to be their way.

I know this rant kind of sounds childish, but eh.

4. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
  5. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013
    But remember, not all hope it lost... a Dark Times show which premiered after VII could serve as promotion for the Han/Fett/Obi-Wan spinoffs, one of which would occur the following year in 2016. It might mean we gotta wait longer for it, but... I'm ok with that.

EDIT: Oh, bahahaha, I already said this earlier.

6. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I've been saying they should use the LAS Underworld scripts for an animated show in the visual style of TCW ever since it was announced that the LAS was on hold due to production costs. The dark times era would work best if we're getting another animated TV show, but as others have said they'll need to find a way to keep the production values high... and maybe improve on the hit-or-miss writing we've gotten from TCW.

That said, Post-ROTJ may be more likely given Disney/LFL's apparent desire to focus attention on the era leading into Episode 7. That could work too.

7. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    Still, do we want to get invested in another show only for Disney to leave it incomplete?

It's not as if this show had a single season and was cancelled, this show had 5 seasons. The least we could get is an ending arc.

Circular_Logic and Darkslayer like this.
  8. the-jedi-prince

the-jedi-prince Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 2, 2011
    Subject
    the clone wars

Correspondence
    Response via Email 05/04/2013 12:27
    This is my reply from disney

Hi Dean.
    Thanks for taking the time to contact us.
    We would like to thank you for sharing your valued feedback with us. Your comments have been forwarded to the relevant department for consideration.
    Please do not hesitate to contact us should you have any further enquiries.
    Kindest Regards
    Maria
    My Favourite Disney Character is Ariel
    Guest Email (Dean Backhouse) 24/03/2013 14:31
    hi im emailing you as im very upset about the cancelation of the clone wars tv show.
    there is many character arcs that havnt been completed and fans need answers to these and feel that the show has been cancelled way before it was finished.
    there is also no official news of how we will get to see finished so called bonus content.
    the fans of star wars are very loyal and passionate about there shows and movies and this has caused a bad feeling towards disney at this time and the news of star wars episode 7 has been welcome but why end something so good without finishing it.
    there are too many loose ends.
    the fans deserve better, dean backhouse, star wars fan since 1977

9. the-jedi-prince

Jun 2, 2011
  10. The Shadow Emperor

The Shadow Emperor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 29, 2012
    I haven't always agreed with all of Filoni's creative decisions, but he's definitely grown on me over tim . I just love watching the enthusiasm he gets when he talks about the show or describes things the creative team has done specifically for the fans. The guy clearly loves Star Wars, loves the fans, and loves his job. He's as dedicated as they come for a supervising director, and that was a great thing for a show like TCW to have.

Vizzy91, CaptainRex115 and Darkslayer like this.
  11. the-jedi-prince

Jun 2, 2011
  12. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    No, no, I'm on your level. If Disney does not address Maul in film or television, then I'm out. No new SW or Disney for me, thanks.

13. the-jedi-prince

Jun 2, 2011
    easier said than done

14. Praenomen Cognomen

Mar 24, 2013
    But isn't it also a question of when that happens? I mean, it'd be a shame to boycott VII, find out that it's really good, and then hear that the rumored Obi-Wan/Maul spinoff gets greenlit, or better yet, find out later that the new series will be Dark Times after all...

For me, if there's any hint that EU will be upheld in VII (read: Jaina Solo), then I'ma be indebted to them forever, TCW continuation or none. Lots of my campaigning has been admittedly preemptive, based on the assumption that there'd be more wholesale destruction to come if we didn't speak up... but I mean, I dunno. I guess, with the boycotting idea: where's the line?

15. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Yeah, I won't boycott. Hell, the ST could revamp Mortis and I'd go see it just so I could come back here and MST the hell out of it.

16. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    Well, that's the point of a boycott. It's really easy to boycott a crap product, but boycotting a good product to stand by what you as an individual believe is much harder.

17. the-jedi-prince

Jun 2, 2011
    If we get dark times it will continue seemlessly after the clone wars order 66 arc i would of thought which could cover fett, maul etc
    that would be the best case for us.

18. Praenomen Cognomen

Mar 24, 2013
    But the other failing of a boycott is: the instant somebody says (to Disney, not necessarily privately), "I don't care about Episode VII, I just want more of (____less profitable thing____)," then you've actually excluded yourself from their target market, and rendered your opinion void. They want to please the people who will go see their movies, buy their products, and generate continuous revenue. With the easy visibility provided by the internet these days, marketing isn't so much about expanding your target market, as it is about squeezing every drop out of the market you've already got. If you threaten to bail, they'll call your bluff every time. They can afford to grow a new fanbase from the generations who will grow up with their movies.

So, it's been imperative to stay on board and positive with the campaign, but... heheh... we SW fans aren't so good at that. [face_whistling]

Darkslayer likes this.
  19. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    To me, a boycott is more about upholding your beliefs and principles - whether change happens is irrelevant.

I think it depends on the severity of the bad PR. If a few disgruntled fans choose to bail on your product, it's not a big deal. But if tens of thousands of people begin to bail on your product, that's when you've got to change things up.

Regardless, I'm not boycotting anything. Just stating a point. :)

20. Praenomen Cognomen

Mar 24, 2013
    Heh... and here's the spot where I'm afraid we've overestimated the acceptance of nerd culture. We seem loud, but we're definitely a vocal minority, and those willing to boycott are that much less in number. It's that old bluff, and they're clued in to our tricks now. I think we're pretty much crying wolf at this point, and most people would just be wierded out by a boycott... not really moved by it.

But anyway, I get that you're speaking generally, not saying that we've got (or ever could get) those big numbers.

As far as using a boycott to uphold the principles of it, I guess that's where I draw the line, and it becomes "just another franchise." No matter how mad I was, I don't think I'd ever boycott. Now, for those who do have that urge, if one could break down the emotional psychology therein... the fact that some just have to separate themselves from it after feeling so ripped off... is where it becomes more interesting, and honestly, more valid.

07jonesj likes this.
  21. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    The number of TCW watchers probably pales in comparison to the number of those that have seen the films. And the number of those willing to boycott anything over the cancellation of TCW must be negligible. Somebody somewhere out there might boycott future Star Wars products over TCW's cancellation, but it's not going to have any measurable effect.

It could if thousands were that upset over it, but the reaction of most people here - Star Wars nerds - seems to be mostly "well, that sucks." Not vehement disgust.

I had a professor years ago bring up the point that people complain about gas prices, and that if you could get thousands or millions of people to boycott buying gas for even just 24 hours, how much of an impact that would have. But that doesn't happen. People just continue to buy gas and complain about it. There has to be a threshold that is crossed to get results. If thousands of people boycotted the gas pump (or TCW), change might be made. If only I protest the gas pump for my own self-righteousness, only I am getting hurt by that. And in the case of TCW, I don't think that threshold is anywhere close to being reached. People just aren't that upset or willing to coordinate.

Plus the assumption is made that - even if thousands of people did hypothetically boycott Episode VII - Disney would know that it was in protest to TCW. They would only know if a substantial number of people told them. Otherwise they might just feel it represents a lack of interest in Star Wars or reflects upon the quality of Episode VII itself, which might lead to a further decline in Star Wars material and be counter productive to your goal.

People vote with their dollar, and in the case of TV that is far more indirect. With something like a film, I can vote by withholding the purchase of a movie ticket. With TCW, no money goes from me to Lucas Animation. They get paid by advertisers who pay according to ratings which are only measured by select households and so even if the entirety of LACWAC refused to watch the new Star Wars show in protest of TCW's cancellation, it probably wouldn't impact the ratings in the slightest.

07jonesj likes this.
  22. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    The "Order 66" arc we are talking about does not take place during the actual Order 66 in Ep. 3. We are calling it an Order 66 arc because:
    a clone is pre-emptively "triggered" and executes a Jedi after having a mental "episode" when on a mission with Anakin and his team versus Trench's forces. So it seems to be that he is executing Order 66 too early.
    So the timing is not there to seamlessly integrate into Dark Times from Ep. 3. They could get around this by playing out pieces of Ep. 3 like Order 66 at the beginning of the Dark Times era show.

23. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    This is why I'm glad Disney purchased Star Wars. They don't care what TCW fans want. It's an unintentional in-your-face to people who love the Clone Wars EU.

24. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    "...you're a wonderful human being."

25. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    Another reason I hate TCW. Order 66 used to break my heart because I knew that these Clones, no matter how much they cared and loved the Jedi they served, and no matter how human they were, still had it in them to kill their surprised Jedi Generals. Now they made it so that they were just brainwashed. :rolleyes:

Apophis_ likes this.