main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph A Song of Ice and Fire Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by -RebelScum-, Jan 3, 2006.

1. wannasee

wannasee Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2007
    Missandei has nice boobs for an eleven-year old.

jediknightleia likes this.
  2. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I actually think aging up there is an interesting choice. Having him speak so contemptuously to another adult highlights the bizarre power differential at play in slave societies. Of course, this effect is diluted somewhat by the high social stratification present even among "free" people in this series. Or it theoretically should, anyway. In practice, most interactions are either between people of approximate rank, or between people who have a personal relationship that supercedes any formality, so it's still enough to seem strange.

3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    "For those tuning in to the "Game of Thrones" premiere this Sunday, you'll still have to suffer through a few subtitles, but the audio will sound a bit different from seasons past. Though there are a number of Dothraki speakers yet alive on the show, there's surprisingly little Dothraki this season. In its place is quite a bit of dialogue in two related languages: High and Low Valyrian." -- the dude that invented the Dothraki language, and apparently now Valyrian.

Awesome. Hearing Valyrian just might've been my favorite thing about the ep.

edit: http://whatsnext.blogs.cnn.com/2013/03/29/david-peterson-and-the-languages-of-game-of-thrones/

4. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Best scene of the episode by far was Tywin ripping into Tyrion. Holy crap, that was some fantastic acting by Dance and Dinklage.

5. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    For the Red Wedding, I intend to go full Billy Idol.

6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I liked the dragons, the Valyrian, and the Barristan parts better, but that was definitely among my favorites. It was almost word for word from the book, too.

7. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I was surprised to see that Barristan was revealed that fast, on the other hand it would have been pretty obvious who he was as soon as we got to see his face. I must say that in the books I totally missed that he would be Barristan until he revealed himself. I'm also excited to hear Valyrian, I wonder if we are going to be able to hear the differences between high and low Valyrian.

8. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    According to the article the guy written, low Valyrian is as different from high as medieval Spanish from classical Latin. He started with HV and did a bunch of changes to simulate linguistic decay and corruption. The Astapori Valyrian sounds a bit semitic, partially modern Greek-ish, to me. There are some romance bits in it too (chevali for knight, for instance). From another interview, the guy said High Valyrian will have vowel quantity like classical Latin and ancient Greek (which suggests we might see it in a poetic fashion?), while Braavosi sounds more Italianate.

So that means we'll have (at the very least): High Valyrian, Low Valyrian (Astapori and Braavosi dialects).

9. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    I didn't like how the scene where Tywin tells Tyrion "the next whore in your bed I'll kill" was played out. In the novel, it seemed...stronger, more absolute. Here it was almost like an afterthought, with Tyrion half out of the door.

10. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    http://www.dothraki.com/2013/03/valar-dohaeris/

11. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    My only complaint with this episode was that Sam got the ravens off in the book. IIRC he didn't attach the messages but Aemon was able to figure out that the Watch was in serious danger.

To paraphrase someone on reddit: "Why did you send the guy who's responsible for the ravens outside the perimeter to shovel **** ? "

MistrX, RC-1991, Darth_Omega and 2 others like this.
  12. jediknightleia

jediknightleia Jedi Grand Master star 2

Aug 28, 2002
    I was disappointed when Mance asked Jon why he want to be free and stay with them that he didn't answer him like he did in the book. I wanted to see that on the show.

RC-1991 likes this.
  13. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Except they left out Mance being at the feast so that answer wouldn't work. And it's a stupid answer anyway because if so why wasn't he happy in the Night's Watch where he could have become Lord Commander?

14. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Well all the crazy allegations were made up against her, but there was some veiled suggestions that she might have had something going on anyway IIRC. Or at the least covering for her cousins.

The bit you are thinking of was Pycelle saying that he 'Made moon tea for...' and Cersei said 'I know what it's for'. The speculation is that he was going to say who it was for (one of her ladies-in-waiting, for example) rather than what.

15. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Two cool Azhor Ahai theories I saw online.

>Jamie asks for trial by combat and deliberately loses to Brienne
    >she stabs him once, and misses his heart
    >"Oh come on. The... truest knight in the Seven Kingdoms can do better than that."
    >stabs again, Jamie dies
    >pulls out the sword
    >it's fire

>Stannis is fighting the Others north of the Wall
    >becomes a whight
    >Davos takes the fake lightbringer from him
    >Stannis manages to say, in muffled whight-speak:
    >do... your... duty
    >Davos kills him
    >Lightbringer is now hot

16. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I'm just rewatching season 2 again, and I love the Tyrion and Sansa interactions, can't wait to get to their development in season 3. I still think they make one of the best couples in Westeros, they just need to realize it themselves.

17. BootlegVader

BootlegVader Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2004
    What the way they are absolutely miserable together and share nothing in common or any chemistry?

If they ended up together at the end I would be highly disappointed as it would come off as ridiculous disservice to both of their characters.

18. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    There's also the age gap (he's an adult and she's a kid, a difference even more pronounced in the books) and the fact that Tyrion's attitude toward her is more paternalistic or big-brother-like than anything like romantic interest.

19. BootlegVader

Aug 3, 2004
    I think the fact of his position as being a generally loyal member of the same family that killed her father, mother, and older brother along with attempting to kill her sister and one of her younger brothers in addition to repeatedly beating her and holding her prisoner would be enough reason that she wouldn't want to end up together with him.

Remember, Tyrion only abandoned the Lannister/Joffrey cause when his life was put on the line and he found out the truth about his first love before that he was strongly committed to ensuring their power-base.

Of course, there is also the issue of Tyrion own history of violent and sexual crimes that she might not find desirable along with her already general distance she has against him.

Simply, Tyrion and Sansa ending happy together seems like misplaced attempt of someone trying to reward their favorite character in my opinion.

20. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    [​IMG]

I know, I know, I know.

21. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    I'd love to see Jaime taking the black, Tyrion as Grand Maester to Daenerys and Cersei hanging from the gallows.

A man can dream...

22. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    In all my time since I first even had this series introduced to me, I have never thought of anything like this. But it makes perfect sense. It's exactly the kind of person she is. A martyr, suffering deeply and wonderfully, and beautifully to spare others pain. Ready to jettison her own life and all her family's ambitions for the sake of giving a cousin another chance. To be so confident in the power of justice that she thinks nothing of throwing herself directly into a trap from her greatest enemy. Marcus, I think you may understand Margaery better than most anyone else on these whole boards.

23. BootlegVader

Aug 3, 2004
    Is that why she abandons an abused child once her use is the Tyrell's political games is squandered? Or how she and her family commit treason twice by aligning with individuals they know are not the rightful king? Margaery is nothing more then a more competent Cersei attempting to strengthen her family's political ambitions.

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  24. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    She never "abandoned an abused child." I don't even know what you're talking about?

As for the charge of treason, it means nothing. She is concerned with doing whatever is best for the people of Westeros. I for, one, am quite happy she tried to resist an interbred sadist and a human-sacrificing religiously radical sex pervert.

25. BootlegVader

Aug 3, 2004
    Sansa Stark after she was forcibly married to Tyrion Lannister. Does that ring any bells?

If one believes in justice one is supposed to follow the law, and by every law of Westeros the Iron Throne is Stannis's by right. Hopefully, when Stannis the Mannis finishes rescuing the North/Realm from the Others he will come down and put the traitorous Tyrells to the sword.