main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Official Info Here we go again...

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Grimby , Oct 30, 2012.

1. Sith_Knight087

Sith_Knight087 Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 5, 2012
    Unless of course they go ahead and just ignore a lot of the post-ROTJ EU, in order to bring Chewie back from the dead [face_whistling]

2. BountyhunterNez

BountyhunterNez Jedi Knight

Jul 18, 2004
    Im more then sure Chewbacca will be back. I understand that nobody wanted SW to end after Jedi, but the EU really is just stories fans/writers made up. I highly doubt that Disney will give a crap about anything that wasn't shown in the real movies.

3. Sith_Knight087

Sep 5, 2012
    That maybe so but I doubt they'll do away with the EU completely, in fact they may even use bits of those stories as inspiration for new TV shows.

4. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    For the films, the EU will have no bearing. IMO

5. Sith_Knight087

Sep 5, 2012
    Still I highly doubt they'll trash ALL of the EU like it never existed.

6. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    Haven't they said the ST will be an original story? This statement kinda says it all.

7. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    There's a whole thread dedicated to the EU, and what (if any) part it will play in the ST...

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  8. Sith_Knight087

Sep 5, 2012
    Ever since Disney singed on that dotted line, it's safe to say most of us knew that change was an inevitability. True the ST films will be ''original stories'' with nothing to do with the post-ROTJ EU, so many stories will be done away with or altered to make way for the new films. But the EU stories set outside of the ST ''during Old Republic and Rise of the Empire eras etc'' I'm pretty sure they're safe... for now anyway.

9. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    Sorry but never mind the 'thread' They quite clearly stated the new trilogy will follow an ORIGINAL story. You can say, 'yeah if they follow the story from whatever book or he use him/her from that book' is fallacy IMO. When you buy your ticket and sit down to watch E7 I almost certainly guarantee what you'll see will not resonate with anything you have gleaned from the post ROTJ EU books.

10. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I agree with that. But all DarthBreezy is saying is that most of this recent EU-centric discussion in this thread could probably have been in that EU thread instead.

11. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    Hold my hands up. Misconstrued his post. Apologies.

12. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    I know something from the EU that will beyond the shadow of a doubt be in the ST. Leia Organa Solo. But that's it.

Darth Chiznuk , Blip and lbr789 like this.
  13. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I would say that is kind of implied as a not-too-distant-future event by the end of ROTJ.

14. Jedi Radenz

Jedi Radenz Jedi Youngling

Apr 1, 2013
    Original Story doesn't mean it can't take place after all those stories in EU. All those people dismissing the EU as just stories "made up" don't understand how complex and how intertwined these books are with the movies and even the animated series. There is a rich history of places and Characters that Disney would be foolish to just throw it all away. at the very least it would make for excellent back story if the Movies take place after the latest books, which if i'm not mistaken take us all the way to about 40 years after ROTJ, which would be perfect for Han, Leia and Luke would not be the main characters anymore.

15. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Please, there is a plethora of stories yet to be written - 90% of the movie going audience won't have heard of half of the EU, and some of it is so bad, they'd be foolish to keep it - but can we please keep this thread's focus to be primarily on real info? As has been said before, there is an EU thread already, and every time this thread has new posts, I always hope beyond hope there might be a new scrap of real info, not more 'save the EU'...

16. Jedi Radenz

Jedi Radenz Jedi Youngling

Apr 1, 2013
    This is just not true everything that happened in the EU had George Lucas approval and like I said before everything is very tightly connected, Why would Disney throw away so much good material? Yes some of the books are Duds but some of them became NY Times Bestsellers, these are not just some flimsly Fan fiction we are talking about here. a lot of the material could be used for different projects

17. Mitth_Fisto

Mitth_Fisto Chosen One star 6

Sep 29, 2005
    Star Wars has always had a canicity levels and Books were/are highly rated directly after the movies. Unlike Star Trek where books are tossed around and written off as 'alternate universe possibilities' so anything goes, Star Wars has worked hard to keep them meaning something. Even if a few sour grapes have snuck through the cracks over the years, a thing with GL's past approval and a standing tradition almost as long as the franchise is not something to mess with lightly so I doubt Disney will make any rash decisions that could alienate a base of capital they just purchased. So no Chewie, why instead we may see Lumpy having grown to look alot like his father or some such instead ;)

18. Jose Luis

Jose Luis Jedi Youngling

Feb 10, 2013
    I wouldn't place much trust in Lucas' past approval of anything, or in any of his past comments (after all, he said for years that Episode VII would never happen). He might have given approval of the post RotJ EU, but that doesn't mean that he can't or won't change anything. Episode VII will very likely steamroll over any aspect of the EU that gets in the way of the original script Michael Arndt and Lucas are writing for the new trilogy (and wait until JJ Abrams gets his hands on it).

Lucas, Abrams, Arndt and others working on the new movies have deep respect for the mythos of Star Wars, even the EU I suspect, so I don't think they will completely override years of books and comics. Abrams was able to reboot Star Trek without devaluing everything that happened beforehand in its Universe (by simply creating an alternate timeline) because he nows the importance of keeping these huge fantasy worlds intact, even if its a world created by fans of a series and not its original creator (although it is easier to do this with Star Trek, since its creator has been gone for more than 20 years now).

19. DARTH_DEEZY

DARTH_DEEZY Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 4, 2011
    Darth Plagueis is Cannon

mes520 and Darth_Quintonis like this.
  20. BountyhunterNez

Jul 18, 2004
    Oh, I agree with you 100%. I haven't followed the EU to the extent of many of you, but reading bits of it here and there and seeing stuff online I can see a LOT of stuff that would be very usefull. I actually think it would be a good idea if they use the Solo twins & Ben Skywalker as the next set of heros to pass the torch to.

I'm not an EU hater, what I meant was I feel that Disney, being so full of there own BS won't care that in some writer's book (even one that the flip-floppy GL approved of 10-20 years ago) Chewbacca was killed. I think if thathey will want as many OT charactors as possible especially the ones that would appear the same as they did in the OT like R2, 3PO & Chewbacca to help tie in the aged actors with the new actors.

I mean why shut down Lucasarts & Lucasfilm's development devisions and lay off the people who are already there and know the ins and outs of the SW Universe? Why shut down The Clone Wars without even letting them finish out the main story arcs? I mean they could have at least gave them one last complete season to finalize the fate of the heros and villians! The Clone Wars was approved of by GL on a much higher level then any of the books that have been written. IMO, this is a sign of whats to come.

It seems they are thinking "AHH, WE DON'T NEED THEM, WE'RE DISNEY! WE'LL HAVE OUR OWN COMPANY AND STUDIOS DO STAR WARS. I MEAN, HOW HARD CAN IT BE?" LOL

I actually have faith in them that they will make good SW movies tho, but I just don't think they're gonna care about stepping on anyone other then GL's toes!

21. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    We've had two Illuminati threads in the last day. Starting to worry about the sanity of people if we're resorting to that for discussion.. we need rumors stat.

22. MasterDillon

MasterDillon Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 28, 2010
    Yeah, but there are many fans out there like myself who enjoy the EU. I can understand why they would need to ignore EU since a lot of people wouldn't understand who Thrawn, or the Yuuzhan Vong are. Still it would be nice on Disney's part if they at least give a mention to characters and events that happened in EU since it is a major part of Star Wars history.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  23. BountyhunterNez

Jul 18, 2004
    I can agree with you on that as well. I mean the new villians are going to be new to everyone anyway, if they used Thrawn or anyone else from the EU it could only help the situation. I mean these characters already have a backstory saving a lot of time and they are already well liked amongst the hardcore SW fans.

But Disney IMO, doesn't want to share credit with anyone about the impending sucsess of the ST. Plus I would doubt that they are even aiming to please the hardcore / EU fans as they know we'll go see it anyway lol. They're gonna aim this more at kids and the casual fan, the everyman . The kinda guy who if you ask whats the greatest metal band ever, he'd say AC/DC MAN! While if you asked a real metalhead who lives it, he'd say MEGADETH!

24. Darth_Zidious

Darth_Zidious Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2001
    I'm amazed at the total lack of information on Episode VII. I'm not expecting big news, just at least small tidbits to keep the excitement going. They've gone silent.

25. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    Found this....TBH....I'd watch that movie

Darth_Quintonis likes this.