main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Gaming Diagon Alley: The Official Harry Potter Thread/Hogwarts Legacy

Discussion in 'Community' started by Kessel Runner, Jul 26, 2001.

1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    The Kindle editions are out and the books are much better than the films. ;)

Done already. I saw DH2 in 3D.

Of course by 2017 it will have been 16 years since SS/PS was released so maybe they are doing this for people who didn't get to see them in the theater the first time.

2. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    That was the only one that came out in 3D ;)

3. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    20 years since Sorcerer's Stone/Philosophers Stone book, 10 years since Deathly Hallows book and same year as the Epilogue. I want to see some of them in theaters again. I don't really remember SS or COS in theaters. I also want to see the final action sequence in OOTP again.

4. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    The way he says 'Did what?' near the end of PoA, is absolutely wondrous.

5. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Are you unaware of this thing called money?

6. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    How about other than money?

7. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    So we can relive the magic? Yes I know the movies aren't as good as the books but I would love to see the movies especially the earlier ones on the big screen again.

8. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Well if they are only re-released in US, than that would suck since I live in Canada and i would see them again in Theatres, and IMHO the movies are just as good as the books, i love the movies and the books just he same :)

9. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    There wouldn't be a reason for Warner Bros to re-release them other than money.

We can speculate on a non-money-related decision related to this as far as the timing, but the company would not re-release the movies if they did not see a profit to be made from it.

NYCitygurl likes this.
  10. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I would expect the movies to be released globally. No idea why just the US. Still early. No problem for me but can see why people would not be happy. The movies have a lot of good parts in them but I feel a bit let down by them. They are some of my favorite movies ever though.

11. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Well dang I feel old. Thanks a lot bud.

Heh -- now that would be a sight.

But dude, none of them? Do yourself a favor and at least read the first one -- the one that y'know, doesn't look like a dictionary or ASoIaF novel. You'll get an idea of the nutty-prof Dumbledore who Harry's so quick to befriend and defend. Movie Dumbledore always seemed very aloof and cold -- more like the school principal everyone's trying to impress rather than the lighthearted eccentric teacher who's trying to be everyone's friend.

(...which is why in the books it's all the more sinister he's got that dark past. The movies sort of lost that element.)

12. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Well we still have 4 years until that point. It is shocking that we are getting close to that kind of milestone though.

13. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    4 years is gonna be like 2 seconds! I remember sitting down to read the first HP book and wondering why everyone was making such a big deal about it as if it were yesterday! And you're telling me that was almost 15 years ago?!?

(actually hold on now -- the US release date was the latter part of 1998, so I probably read it early 1999... when TPM came out... which means TPM is almost 15 years old too.... WWWWTTTTFFFFFF!!!! WHERE HAS THE TIME GONE?!?)

I'm off to have an existential crisis.

14. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    I don't think Harris' Dumbledore seems very cold, he is friendly, but at the same time filled with wisdom and power.

15. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I feel really, really weird reading so many posts from people here who talk about seeing TPM as a kid, especially as a little kid.

I was 27 when that movie came out.

As far as Harry Potter, I didn't get into it until Goblet of Fire which was, what, 2001? I got together with my family that Christmas and my brother couldn't put that book down, plus I was fascinated by all the talk of kids reading a 700-plus page book. I picked up the first book and haven't looked back. I used to re-read those books over and over again when I was stressed; it was such good escapism.

When HBP and DH came out, I had a tiny infant, and for two days straight, I sat on the couch, fed the baby and read. DH took me a little longer because I also had a 2-year-old but with HBP, I barely moved from that couch for two days.

16. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    I was 12 when the movie came out, it's indeed awesome for kids, sadly most of the OT SW fans at that time were older.

17. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    True. I can't believe its almost been 3 years since HS ended for me. By the end of next summer I will graduate college. I got into the series when the Chamber of Secrets Paperback was released. Not sure when that was. Fall 1999 right before POA came out? I had ordered SS/PS from a catalogue thing at school and found COS PB a couple days later. So I'm not sure. It is scary thinking 14-15 years have passed. Can't believe its been almost 14 years for TPM as well. That is scary. That movie has been out longer than more than half I've been alive. Harry Potter as well. I'm getting too old for this.

18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Oh no you didn't. [face_shame_on_you]

19. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Goblet of Fire came out in 2000. Best book behind DH IMO. Yes I know the plot is contrived but it was great to me. I could never finish that book in a day until 04/05 after I read OOTP in a day. Always took me two days for some reason. I know I read DH in less than 12 hours. I had a lot of time on my hands.

20. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    I was only 8 when the PS came out, damn that was a long time ago

21. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    It must have been Christmas of 2000 that I was introduced to that series then.

Speaking of getting old...

The thicker Harry Potter books were always my go-to books for long flights before I got my Kindle. When I went to Seattle to see DarthBreezy I always took Order of the Phoenix.

22. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    LOL, it takes me at least a month to read OOTP

23. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    It feels as if my life has been nothing but Harry Potter and Star Wars. It probably was wrong of me to say that but good lord thinking how much of my life has been consumed by those 2 series' its ridiculous.

24. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I couldn't do it now. Too much bad stuff happens. Umbridge, Malfoy, Snape, Bellatrix, Fudge, Voldemort etc really slow it down. Nothing goes right. I think in my last series reread I got it in 3 days? Good enough.

25. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    DH is my probably my favourite but i can't read it without reading the first 6 first, but i can watch DH Part 2 without having to watch the others, weird

Force Smuggler likes this.