main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Which version of ANH is the true and only?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Aaronaman, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    That I agree with, people make too big of a deal about the changes.

2. Chainmail_Jedi

Chainmail_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 26, 2013
    The 1977 version. Anyone who saw it in theatres will never forget that day

Jcuk likes this.
  3. BarkingFrog

BarkingFrog Jedi Master star 2

Jan 4, 2009
    Everything past the Jabba scene in the blu-ray is great. Even before that I think the sandcrawler and extended Tattooine backdrops look great. The CGI in Mos Eisley is embarrassing though.

4. Darth Vader's Chest Plate

Darth Vader's Chest Plate Jedi Master star 2

Mar 18, 2013
    The content of the added stuff doesn't bother me, but the standard of the effects doesn't fit in with the rest of the film. They may as well have inserted Roger Rabbit for how poorly it's matched.

5. TheDisharmony

TheDisharmony Jedi Youngling

Mar 29, 2013
    The very first one [face_laugh]

6. QsAssistant

QsAssistant Jedi Master star 3

Apr 13, 2011
    The one and only version is whatever version you like the most. It's just opinion.

My version would be the 2004 DVD release, for all of the OT. I like all versions but that's the one I've seen the most so that's the one I prefer. I haven't seen the Blu-Ray releases yet but of the changes I've seen, on the net, I don't like most of them. Obi-Wan's new yell and the added rock in front of R2 were unnessasary. I didn't mind Vader's "No. NOOOO!" in ROTJ.

7. vinsanity

vinsanity Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2013
    The theatrical version for me :)

kubricklynch likes this.
  8. janstett

janstett Jedi Master star 3

May 29, 2004
    Jabba's scene is cringw-worthy and the effects are really really bad. The Land Speeder entry into Mos Eisley has been re-done twice and it's still terrible. Now with the Blu-Rays we have useless additions like rocks in front of R2-D2 that he couldn't have possibly gotten behind, Obi-Wan's howl tweaked to a laughable howl, Han and Greedo tweaked yet again (what is this now, the 4th or 5th time?), etc.

9. Slicer87

Mar 18, 2013
    Yet Marcia Lucas really wanted that Jabba scene to be kept in the original version in 1977. Alot of the internet pseudo film experts always parrot: show, don't tell, well Lucas fixed that with Jabba in the SE versions of ANH. Han keeps talking about him in the film so it is nice to actually see Jabba, you know show, don't tell.

As for the CGI rocks, they give R2 somthing to actually hide behind. In the original versions, the camera can clearly see R2 under that rock ledge, and the sandpeople are closer to him than the camera, so they should have easily spot him under there. Still I wish they would fix that repeated closeup of the sandperson that attacks Luke.

Andy Wylde and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  10. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Any version is the correct version.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  11. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    The true & only version of ANH and the rest of the OT is whichever the creator says it is.

So whichever the latest version is (the Blu-Ray for now!)

Andy Wylde likes this.
  12. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    No, do not do any such thing! You are clearly new here. That guy has long since been debunked.

And the other guy is right - ATOC is waaaay more exciting than ANH, which is easily the most boring (though not the worst, that would be ROTJ)

Andy Wylde likes this.
  13. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    I feel the same about you almost daily.

Andy Wylde and darth_mccartney like this.
  14. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    Personally I don't really have a true version of ANH because I only have the 2004 special editon. Personally I never got the point in getting the other versions when there are only a couple of changes but that's probably just me here.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  15. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001

That comment stuns me.

kubricklynch and Son of a Bith like this.
  16. Darth kRud

Darth kRud Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    Kinds these days need a strong mentor to teach them the subtitles of the force.

17. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    They should just use the DVD remote.

Bob Octa likes this.
  18. Darth kRud

Nov 1, 2012
    As any true scoundrel would. It's a dog eat dog world in the outer rim.

I use to say the same thing about D.H. Lawrence. That his books were too slow, too prudish even, but, Lady Chatterley's Lover was groundbreaking for its time is what I didn't understand. I lacked the proper historical vision. My "lack of vision was disturbing". When reading or watching older film/books it helps to have a grasp on both the progression of technology and the progression of our overall culture. In the case of Star Wars both have come a long way since 1977. The Phantom Menace, for its time, was nowhere near the film A New Hope was. Sure it was more technologically detailed and had more action but if the original trilogy didn't exist and TPM was a stand alone film I can say with confidence it would not have created the Star Wars fan base we see today. It would not have been iconic.

EDIT. My post above is suppose t say "kids" not kinds.

19. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    No they don't. They need to make up their own minds and not be bullied by people that are blinded by nostalgia & cannot look at things objectively.

Andy Wylde, Bob Octa and lbr789 like this.
  20. Slicer87

Mar 18, 2013
    Agreed.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  21. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Ah, but how many really remember the 1977 cut? Would the different sound effects, a few alternate takes for C-3PO's dialogue, the presence/absence of lines like "Close the blast doors" and a completely different voice for Beru come as something of a shock to everyone more familiar with the content of the 1981 re-release, even if the absence of "Episode IV: A New Hope" in the opening scroll wasn't a problem? Let's face it, plenty of us saw the films of the OT on their first runs, but our memories are largely based on repeated viewings on TV & home video.

That's what's kind of funny - if Disney went ahead and did a full-blown restoration of the OT, there'd still be arguments, at least over the three different versions of SW/ANH - May 25, 1977 premiere cut, wider 1977 release, 1981 re-release.

(IMHO, you'd have to go with the wider 1977 release over the May 25 version - it's not unheard of for changes being made to films between premiere & general release - The Good, the Bad & the Ugly, 2001: A Space Odyssey, The Shining)

Bob Octa likes this.
  22. Darth kRud

Nov 1, 2012
    Ya you're right. The original Star Wars films suck. What was I thinking?

23. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    Not what I said. I said people should be allowed to make up their own mind, not be forced to agree with someone else.

24. Rawne

Rawne Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 2, 2008

So... You're saying people should have choice? Rather than being forced to enjoy one version (perhaps because it's the only version available, when it is known there are different versions that they haven't seen or perhaps remember vaguely from their childhood) they should have a variety of different options?

25. Darth kRud

Nov 1, 2012
    Do you have any idea how contradictory this statement is?

Mod edit: No personal attacks