main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Redundant, Counter-Productive Speculation Time Is Over: "The Star Wars" Announced

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Feb 11, 2013.

1. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    That would require the EW article to actually come out at some point.

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Obviously, Disney cancelled the EW article.

3. Shepherd492

Shepherd492 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 2, 2011
    This is pretty cool news I guess, something different.

My only concern is that this now leaves us with three comics that are basically known as "Star Wars" (four if you want to count the early issues of Republic.) I know "The Star Wars" isn't the same as "Star Wars" but that is so close and ridiculously easy to get confused on if you are discussing this with somebody aloud.

It's a good thing GL doesn't own Star Wars anymore, because if his reaction to two Anakins was any indication, three of these series would have to be permanently wiped from canon to avoid all of this confusion.

4. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    theres the star wars, star woods, dark times and what else that have/had the star wars name only?

5. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    :eek:

They actually made those? When? Are they super expensive like the Ulic Qel-Droma and Exar Kun action figures?

6. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    There's The Star Wars, the Woods Star Wars, the original Dark Horse ongoing Star Wars (which had its name changed to Republic relatively early on, when DH came out with Empire as its second ongoing), and the classic Marvel ongoing Star Wars.

7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The Luke and Droids ones were Con exclusives as C4 (and probably CE1?) but the others were regular releases, so far as I know. They were tie-ins to the 30th anniversary, AFAIK.

8. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012

YEP! And the only other SW toys I want are the TOTJ figures :p Guess I'll never own these....

9. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    ****... Knowing that they exist but I will probably never be able to own them is tortuous! Especially with this comic coming out! Maybe I'll get lucky and there will be a similar release to go with the comics. The-Eternal-Hero when you say TOTJ action figures are you referring to the Ulic/Exar two-pack or are their more?

10. Corax78

Corax78 Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 2, 2008
    Obi-Wan and Yoda were exclusives as well. The set is pretty cool, the only one I never found was Star killer, otherwise I have them all.

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I remember seeing the stormtrooper and Fett at a lot of dealer booths at C4 or C5 but they were obviously a tad pricey at the time and I was art print hungry ;).

Even though by then I had mostly given up on the figure collecting, I definitely had considered getting that set.

12. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    They look great. And nice coincidence for me to see them for the first time now as I'm already getting ultra-hyped for these comics.

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether they're going to use "the Force of others" as opposed to simply "the Force" like they did a lot in the script? And how about the dark side being called "the Bogan force" instead? If they use "Jedi Bendu of Ashla" or even just "Jedi Bendu" instead of Jedi Knights, I'm gonna lose it. =P~

Zorrixor likes this.
  13. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    There just better not be any mention of Mortis accompanied by a "This is what I intended all along" quote. :p

Robimus, WMIRTUTSF and spicer like this.
  14. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Obi-Wan & Yoda(packaged together) were convention exclusives as well. SDCC I think.

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The EW article is posted. Apparently, Randy isn't too happy with it:

However, he does clarify things a little ina subsequent post:

16. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Haven't the time to read the article myself at the moment, but just did a very quick skim of the first page...

Can't say I'm surprised by Randy's reaction, as he's right, there's a lot of unsubstantiated rumours being presented like known facts in an interview that was clearly meant to help make people aware of The Star Wars, not to foretell the coming doom of Dark Horse.

17. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I'm glad Randy's as forthcoming as he is with fans that he'd be so passionate about clarifying what was actually said. And by passionate, I mean royally PO'ed. This is the kind of person we need running things at Dark Horse right now -- someone who shows they care.

18. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    I've always been a rather big fan of Randy. Who would've ever thought a comic book line's editor would have a fanbase?

19. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I just wanted to say that I am very much looking forwards to reading this alternate version of Star Wars. I can barely wait to read it, actually. The character of Kane Starkiller intrigues me especially.

20. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Haven't seen this posted, so here's a CBR interview with J. W. Rinzler. A few interesting things there.
    • Rinzler talks about the Starkiller family
    • Our first look at The Star Wars's star destroyers
    • Sean Cooke is doing some of the vehicle designs, such as a hovertank.
    • This is the version of the universe where everyone carries a lazer sword [sic]
    • "There's a prototype of Count Dooku."

21. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Probably talking about Prince Valorum. Neat.

22. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Those "star destroyer" hovercars are awesome. [face_laugh]

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, that is an unexpected design direction, especially given how ANH's iconic opening is centered around how huge an SD is.

24. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    Same here! Unless it's way off the mark from the script, which I would assume is extremely unlikely, these are shaping up to be some of my favorite Star Wars comics.

25. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012