main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Dawn of the Jedi: The Prisoner of Bogan #1 (of 5)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Loyal Imperial, Sep 3, 2012.

1. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    I'd say the Moff Council were thinking in the right direction when they tried to wipe out Tenel Ka's bloodline.

Would have saved us nine books of Han and Leia being simply awful parents if they had succeeded.

2. jfostrander01

jfostrander01 Writer: Dawn of the Jedi, Agent of the Empire star 3 VIP

Oct 26, 2001
    Just a word -- Lok was sent to Bogan NOT just because of his vision but because of things that he has done and that will become clearer as we go. He has also demonstrated madness and that would make his vision suspect, to say the least.

-- John O

3. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Did the chasm damage his brain or did it just give him the vision?

4. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Hm, Lok did mention at least a few times he "won" the Despot War. Wonder what his definition of winning was (slaughter everyone in his way?). Lok definitely isn't a reliable source, but wonder how many factors led to his "fall". The chasm definitely didn't help, but most good Je'daii don't dare go too deep into that place anyway. Too bad doesn't seem like the Journeyers' vision is being taken that seriously yet either. They're concerned, but sticking Lok and Xesh on the same moon was probably a bad idea. Though guess the cuffs were supposed to tell them if Lok visited Xesh but... yeah, that didn't work out.

You know, one of these days, we should have a non-canon Council of Councils, made up of various members from the various Jedi and Dark and Blood (CE2 had that subtitle, right?) who do nothing but argue. That would be entertaining, with their first meeting trying to come up with a better name than Council of Councils... and never progressing beyond that point. :p

5. Remember Adwa

Remember Adwa Jedi Youngling

Dec 4, 2012
    Thanks for clearing that up.

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  6. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    Read this last night, enjoyed it very much, and didn't realize how much I'd been missing John and Jan! ^:)^ [:D] I was forever behind on the first arc of this series and I intend to stay caught up this time. :D

Gorefiend likes this.
  7. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    THIS.

Grievousdude likes this.
  8. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    Nevermind... I didn't read far enough. Thanks Todd.

9. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Given the insistence that Daegen Lok's vision would mean that everything the Je'daii stood for would change and their way of life would end...I'm hazarding a guess that he foresaw the splitting of Force-factions into lightside followers and darkside followers (either in general, or by directly predicting the Force Wars). Especially if this Rajivari guy is already established to be an early darksider in TOR. I got the gist from his and Ketu's conversation that that was an early proto-light/dark split.

darklordoftech likes this.
  10. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Rajivari kind of revolts after the Jedi are formed I think

11. DarthKenny

DarthKenny Jedi Knight

Feb 11, 2010
    Maybe for the most part, the Red Sith were basically like Nightsisters in that while they were 'dark', they were more neutral than evil., until the Exiles came around.

12. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Just read the TPB for the first arc and liked it a lot. Going to see if I can find this one or if I have to wait until the TPB comes out

13. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    Hey everyone. I usually stick to LACWAC in the television forum because I'm a big TCW fan and read mostly 70's - 90's EU, but I just got the first three issues of this series and I'm really into it. This whole premise of the most ancient Jedi history ever revealed is something I would have wished for but not really expected. A new comic book store opened in my town after a while without one and I found these there. I don't have any issues of the first mini-series though, because they only had the last two issues so I didn't get them. I'm reading all three repeatedly because I like them so much and every time I read them they sink in better. Here are some thoughts on issue #1:

- I love KOTOR so seeing this mad Rakatan guy has automatic ancient-aura because of their role in the video game's story. I take it he's seeking a Force-rich world to fuel his ship with the Force. His Force hound and Xesh having such a strong connection in the Force is kind of a nod to KOTOR II.

- The abandoned stone city looks great in its own right, but also adds to the feeling of oldness.

- I'm fascinated by the "dark" moon being Bogan and the "light" moon being Ashla. In early drafts of The Star Wars the Jedi are referred to as the "Jedi Bendu of Ahsla" and the dark side of the Force is referred to as the "Bogan force" so that's obviously not a coincidence. I wonder exactly how much of this stuff came directly from George Lucas, or if that was just an influence the authors used.

- Since I don't have the first mini-series, Xesh's flashback was new to me. His old character design with that armor was SO bad-ass! Up there with Darth Vader, Savage Opress, and Darth Krayt!

- Well-used and well-spent page on Xesh's isolation, scraping tallies of days going by on the rock wall really sold it. Very cinematic in that and the other panels on this page too.

- Daegen Lok looks so much like a wizard coming out of nowhere, it's freaking great.

- I love the narrative line "Xesh finds reality twisted on itself" and it makes me think what it's showing is only happening in his mind. And Lok says he calls that Force power a mind twist, how awesome is that? Pretty damn awesome.

- Xesh not being able to take off his cuffs without getting caught with the Force and Lok being able to do it again made him seem like a true wizard. I love how this guy isn't a Je'daii and there don't seem to be any Sith, so he's just a miscellaneous Force wizard.

- In the middle of the comic (where you see the staples) at the bottom of the left-hand page, is that wisp of air in the panel before Sek'nos says "That's a trick I want to learn..." supposed to mean Master Tave turned invisible with the Force?

- Daegen Lok's flashback was cool. I found it interesting that when he had the vision and Hawk pulled him back and he asked Hawk if he saw it Hawk just said "I... we're getting out of here!" which I took to mean he did see it, yet apparently Hawk said nothing or lied about it since Lok got banished to Bogan for it and Hawk got nothing.

- I really like the whole Forcesaber concept and how no one has lightsabers. And even the Forcesaber is a rare artifact, none of the Je'daii have them. Having to turn it on by using the right kind of Force is intriguing.

- I also really liked the end where Xesh used the Force to power up the ship. Like Lok's mind twist and unlocking the cuffs, it has a wizard-y feel to it. It's not something we normally see Force-users do but despite being new in that sense it still feels somehow primitive. It fits the theme of the era perfectly.

Cronal, JackG, Esg and 1 other person like this.
  14. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    Anybody have any ideas or thoughts on whether Hawk saw the Force-vision Daegen Lok saw, and if so, how he didn't get banished for it?

(Please no issue #4 spoilers, don't have it yet.)

15. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    He seems to have had the same vision but just never talked about it.

16. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    I got the same impression. But if that's what happened...am I the only one that thinks that was kind of a **** move on Hawk's part? I mean, the two were apparently friends at the time they had the Force-vision, but then Hawk goes on to let his friend get banished for being effected by this vision to the point that it makes the Je'daii think his friend is crazy, and Hawk never tells any of them he had the vision too? That's just wrong. Isn't it?

17. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Hawk is rather ambiguous in general, as he is also one of the few of the people who had no problem getting the Force sabre to work.

18. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Hawk was banished to Bogan too, but he allowed himself to be reformed while there, and came back from it.

darklordoftech likes this.
  19. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Yeah, I got the impression that Hawk kind of pretended that he was balanced by denying the vision just to please the council. Lok has the right to be mad about that to Hawk imo.

Summer Dreamer likes this.
  20. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    That's true, but on the other hand, the Je'daii in general are pretty ambiguous about experimenting with different sides of the Force (which I'm going to write about in my review of the next issue). His ability to use the Forcesaber easily and aggression in showing it off might show that he leans more towards the dark side than than others (which you're right to connect to what happens with him and Lok), but I think ambiguous Force-philosophy is a characteristic of most Je'daii at this point.

Is that just a guess, or something that happened in the previous mini-series that I missed?

I agree, if I was Lok I think I'd be pretty pissed at Hawk! Some "friend." Does the previous mini-series delve into their friendship more or is it just a flashback in this one?

21. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    In the Prisoner of Bogan, Hawk mentions several times that he was banished to Bogan along with Lok. Hawk Ryo only was able to leave when he lied to himself and finally believed his own lie that the vision never happened. Lok never lied to himself, so he was left to stay on Bogan.

22. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    Sorry about that, I reread #1 so much I forgot about that getting revealed at the end of #2, which I just reread now. Thanks for clarifying and again sorry about my mistake. I'll probably write about this in the thread for #2; that makes me think less poorly of Hawk, but he still seems somewhat shady to me.

23. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    It's no big deal :)

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  24. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    Thanks Summer Dreamer. :)

So does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Is he pulling a Mother Talzin from The Clone Wars episode Massacre and somehow using the Force to physically fade away, is he Force-speeding away and tricking the students, what exactly is going on there? Thoughts, anyone?

25. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    Maybe jfostrander01 has some answers about what happened with Master Tave in that panel? [face_praying]