main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Gaming Diagon Alley: The Official Harry Potter Thread/Hogwarts Legacy

Discussion in 'Community' started by Kessel Runner, Jul 26, 2001.

1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I have to read all 7 books in order. I can't skip. I was at the start of Half-Blood Prince or was I in OOTP, and I tried to pick up my copy DH and just put it back down. It wouldn't let me read it. The books were better connected than the movies imo so not wanting to see all the movies but read all books makes sense.

NYCitygurl likes this.
  2. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    I agree with that, i tried as well, and i was like yea i need to start with the first one :p

3. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I know each book can be read as a standalone but I love seeing how everything evolves and relates. Namely the wizarding world as whole and the story of the death of Lily and James. In SS/PS we see the start of the story. In COS we see more history of Hogwarts and a side effect of the killing curse (parseltongue) and an object that helps Tommy boy survive not that we know that yet. In POA we learn about James friends and who betrayed them to Voldemort and we learn about part of the Marauders backstory with Snape and parts of how James and Lily died and more classes at Hogwarts. In Goblet of Fire we learn about other Wizarding schools and some stuff about Voldemort, that he comes back and the Reverse wand effect. In OOTP we learn about the Wizarding Government and why Voldemort was after Harry. In HBP we learn about Voldemort and how Tommy boy survived. In Deathly Hallows we learned about Snape and Voldemort and we saw the whole thing at Godric's Hollow. We find out about the last Horcrux and the Hallows and the connection and so much more. Brilliantly done. All of it.

4. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Nice summary, couldn't have said it better than myself

Harry Potter is in my Top 3 of book and film franchise and will be forever

Force Smuggler likes this.
  5. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I think someone asked why all 8 movies could be re-released in summer of 2017?

That's the year that Harry Potter sends his son Albus off to Hogwarts, in the Epilogue.

(Voldemort died in May 1998, and the epilogue is 19 years later)

6. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Wow, I never thought about that, good one

7. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    And that's just the major stuff. I like going back and finding other things. Ex Dragons in Gringotts. Book 1 Hagrid said so and Book 7 Harry and the other 2 escape from there on a Dragon. Snape hates Neville because Neville's parents could have died and Lily would have lived etc.

Book and movie-wise Star Wars is number 1. Bookwise Harry Potter is number 2 followed by the Dune series or the Shannara series. Movie wise LOTR is number 2 followed by the Potter movies.

8. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Nice little callbacks too, sort of

mine would be

Book - Harry Potter, LOTR and Dragon Lance series, Movies - Harry Potter, LOTR/The Hobbit and Star Wars

9. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Have to throw in Ender's Game series as well. I've heard of Dragon Lance I think but what is it about?

10. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    The Dragon Lance series is a series of books, there are a LOT, they are similar to Lord of the Rings, this should explain what it is about http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragonlance

They are very good, you would enjoy them

11. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    They do look good. I'll look into them.

Darth Vader likes this.
  12. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Awesome :)

13. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    I'm still hoping that in 20 years or so, someone will remake the HP films - properly.

Rew and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  14. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    They should not be remade, they should be left alone

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  15. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    An inconsistent jumble of films that mess up storylines, leave out important stuff so that a casual viewer is confused, and add a bunch of nonsensical action scenes? Yeah, they should be left alone - in the rubbish bin.

Everton likes this.
  16. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I still remember my brother's rants about the first film, about Chris Columbus thinking he was directing "Home Alone" again and including all the slapstick that never happened in the books. No, Neville did not spend 10 minutes doing clumsy maneuvers on his broomstick before falling down and breaking his wrist; dude just fell down and broke his wrist. Plus Ron was supposed to be a tall gangly kid, and he had a little more important role in the books whereas the movies just relegated him to a comic-relief sidekick.

The movies were OK as adaptations but the books are far better. I was disappointed that the Dursleys didn't show up in Goblet of Fire; I wanted to see Fred and George feed Dudley that candy that made his tongue blow out of his mouth.

And speaking of a Fred and George scene which absolutely was not done justice in the films: their exit from Hogwarts in OOTP. Probably the best scene in any of the books, and while I'm glad the film at least included it (I was worried it wouldn't), it was not the same.

I'm going to type this up for the pleasure of those of you who have not read the books. This is what you're missing:

*happy sigh* Ah, Fred and George, if you were real I would stand in line all night to be your friend.

I had the last three paragraphs in my TF.N bio right before I took my hiatus several years ago.

RC-1991, Rew, Barriss_Coffee and 2 others like this.
  17. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Ron was ruined in the movies to me. Nothing against Rupert Grint but book Ron was so much better. They made Hermione take up his lines and made her Super-Hermione. She did everything and said everything. Good grief. Thank god for Joey Richter who restored my faith in Ron.
    Fred and George's exit from Hogwarts was awesome in both. Bookwise was better but movie wise was still fun. I liked the newspaper transitions. Amazing.
    The Dursley's needed to be used more. Especially start of HBP.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  18. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    One of the worst examples of Hermione taking Ron's lines and becoming Hermione Sue:

PoA in the Shrieking Shack. In the book, Ron stands up on his broken leg, with his face turning green because the pain of it was making him nauseous, and stands in front of Harry: "If you want to kill Harry, you'll have to kill us too."

But noooo, Steve Kloves really likes Hermione so she got that line in the movie. (He admitted in an interview that Hermione was his favorite.)

At the time several of us made jokes about how in the GoF movie, Hermione would probably drink Polyjuice Potion, go into the maze as Harry, and make sure that Cedric came out alive.

And yes, Dumbledore blistering the Dursleys at the beginning of HBP needed to be in the film. W...T...F.

Even that was as bad as that numb**** Children of the Corn scene with Bellatrix burning the Burrow down, a scene that didn't happen in the book.

[/end rant. I think]

19. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I think I remember Hermione taking Ron's lines in COS (can't remember which lines though) because she would not be in the last part of the movie. I heard it somewhere but can't remember where.

20. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    That was only added because the battle of Hogwarts was excluded from the film

21. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Which was stupidly taken out because they wanted to make the DH 2 battle all the more important. We got 2-3 years between HBP and DH 2? Wouldn't we have been satisfied with some action at Hogwarts and got ready for more?

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  22. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    I believe it was confirmed that it would have been repetitive if they added the battle into HBP and also have one in DH

23. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Not to mention it made no sense whatsoever - not in terms of plot, or storytelling. Just a totally random scene that added nothing and had no sense.

So yeah, I am very much hoping for a PROPER remake of the films, for adaptations that are truthful in spirit to the original material (because obviously there will be differences between books and films, there always are) - but in 20 years or so. The current films are simply too fresh. We need perspective and the test of time.

It's not repetitive in the books. And those battles were completely different in terms of scope and what was at stake. If you can't portray that difference on screen and make both scenes look unique, then what the hell are you doing in filmmaking?

24. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Lame. HBP was a small scale skirmish compared to DH pt 2. Get people excited for for DH 2. Voldemort wasn't even there in HBP!

25. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Pretty sure people were already excited for DH Part 2 ;)