main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars retained my interest in Star Wars

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by KED12345, Mar 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I've never liked Star Wars, I only watch it so I possess the intimate knowledge needed to come on here and tell you guys how bad it is, thus ruining your enjoyment of it.

When I finally shut down the JCF with my hatred, I'm going to pick some other multi-media franchise to hate so I can find another fan forum to shut down.

2. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    that's a cool story bro

3. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012

4. The Shadow Emperor

The Shadow Emperor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 29, 2012
    Nonono, you're supposed to use a meme.

[​IMG]

There, that's more like it.

5. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    Can this be sooner rather than later?

6. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    After I had experienced disappointment with both the post-ROTJ Expanded Universe(mainly the New Jedi Order series) and the prequel trilogy(though I admit that I enjoyed it at first), my interest in Star Wars was depleted. The EU had hit a slump and the rest of the fandom was still bitching about the trilogy. I was especially disappointed in the fact that BioWare decided to make an MMO based off of KOTOR instead of a sequel. A real sequel. Simply put, nothing piqued my interest until I heard about the CGI animated series known as Star Wars: The Clone Wars. Now I wasn't sure if I wanted another show set during that time-period again, especially after the stupid micro-series, but I gave it a chance. I saw the movie, which seemed like it should've been the pilot to the series instead of a movie, but I thought it was... OK. Nothing special. Then I saw Ambush and I was genuinely impressed. It retained that classic Star Wars feel better than the prequel trilogy; I felt like a kid again. By the time the first season got through the Malevolence trilogy and the episode "Rookies", I became a fan. I slowly started to become more interested in the EU again, especially after the awesome Mandalore trilogy in Season 2 that totally crapped all over Traviss's work. I even got the novel Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor and realized that not every EU writer was a mindless hack looking for more money. I started to like the prequel trilogy again.

Now I thank the great flying spaghetti monster that the show came into existence because I'm now interested in what comes next in the Star Wars universe.

7. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    It was five when I first saw Star Wars and I hated it. It was a Star Wars marathon on TV because ROTS was coming later that month. I only saw two shot of it. One from ANH and one from AOTC (Yep they aired it 4, 5, 6, 1, and then 2). I just seemed a little too boring for my Thomas the Train loving mind. Then two years later I read Visions of the Future and got interested. The next year the TCW movie came out and I started to watch the series as of me being bored. Then the next I started talking to some friends about the Laat/c gunship's specs (still my favorite ship) and got hooked. Then last September I found JCF and now go around acting like I know stuff.

rumblewagon likes this.
  8. Nickster79

Nickster79 Jedi Youngling

Mar 31, 2013
    It did the same for me, as well. I had lost interest in Star Wars, but the discover of TCW fired up my interest again to the point that I've been buying loads of comics, toys, etc.

rumblewagon likes this.
  9. InterestingLurker

Jun 15, 2011
    Another thing that I like about TCW: the fact that it brought new fans to this forum.

10. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I first saw SW when I was seven and my interest has only grown and grown over the years. After ROTS came out, I was well into reading the books, so my interest remained through 2008 and beyond.

But yeah, like IL said, TCW brought a lot of new fans not only to TFN but also in general, especially among kids, who will hopefully all grow into huge nerds later in life and forevermore cherish Star Wars. CHERISH IT I SAY!

:p

11. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    I'm glad TCW got me back into reading Star Wars comics. Anybody else getting Dawn of the Jedi? I missed the first mini-series but the second is awesome so far. It's the most ancient Jedi history ever revealed. There are some kind of primitive yet still unseen and cool Force powers. The first mini-series apparently had this:

[​IMG]

So naturally I have to get that as well. That character design rules. The Jedi (or "Je'Daii") have no lightsabers yet, and what this guy has is a Forcesaber.

Mia Mesharad and 07jonesj like this.
  12. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    Not a big fan of comics but I have been reading up on DotJ on the Wook. A novel, Into the Void, comes out next month so I'll definitely be reading that.

It has a mysticism to it that I think SW has been missing for a while. That feeling of being in an unknown galaxy.

13. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    Dark Horse has been supplying excellent Star Wars stories since the 90s. :D

I think it would be great if they were able to tackle resolving the unresolved stories in TCW. My interest in Star Wars wasn't changed by the Clone Wars, it just gave me alot more to look forward to!

14. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Tarkas DOTJ is great. The first arc is pretty good, and the first issue is especially great in the ancient lore department. I'm loving the current arc. It seems the third arc will be titled Force Wars.

Mia Mesharad and 07jonesj like this.
  15. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    Thanks again to TCW for getting me back into Star Wars comics so I could discover Dawn of the Jedi. Here's what I just posted here: http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...of-bogan-1-of-5.50003231/page-3#post-50616651

16. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    Is the Bogan story predominantly following Xesh? I've not read any of the Bogan issues yet and finished the preceding story arc for Dawn of the Jedi just recently. By the end my interest was wavering. Xesh was the only character I had become interested in and none of the Je'daii kids I found particularly memorable or interesting - there was the Sith (species) boy, a twi'lek girl, and I believe a Dathomirian girl. And for the life of me I cannot remember their names no matter how many times I try to commit them to memory. It's really only Xesh who I can commit to memory since he was interesting. If he becomes the lead in the next arc, I might have to continue on, but while the premise of the preceding arc was interesting, I didn't think many of the characters were - and the ones that were interesting were almost exclusively the villains, IMO.

17. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    TaradosGon In the first three issues, which is all I have so far, Xesh is one of the most prominently featured characters. So if you're into Xesh, yeah, I'd say you'd probably like that. And I can't blame you for forgetting all the names. There are countless Star Wars I've read and forgotten the names of the main new characters after reading. It happened with Dark Times, Rebellion, Legacy, the classics, pretty much everything. I don't know if it's just me or the names aren't very memorable. Like I said, I don't have the first Dawn of the Jedi mini-series, so I can't comment on how it compares to this one.

18. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    I think TCW ruined Star Wars for me. It is just awful. Every. Single. Episode. Spongebob has a better structured plot than this awful TV series.

19. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    TCW revitalized Star Wars for me. The authentic pulp vibe and plot-structures calling back to the roots of the franchise and genre make it great television.

20. InterestingLurker

Jun 15, 2011
    Holy ****... I really need to start reading more of these comics.

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  21. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    :(

22. InterestingLurker

Jun 15, 2011
    I also have the same problem when it comes to remembering names in the EU. There are only a minority of EU names I remember completely, mainly the big ones such as Thrawn, Darth Bane, Nom Anor, Jorus C'baoth, etc. I know the names of almost every character in TCW and all six movies, probably because both are a lot more important to me, not that I don't like the EU(I only loathe the majority of novels that come post-ROTJ; the rest are fine).

23. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    Hmm.. I'm not a comic book fan at all, but that's a pretty freaking sweet character design.

24. ArdentheJedi

ArdentheJedi Jedi Youngling

Mar 2, 2013
    I was 11 when Revenge of the Sith came out on the movie theaters. I wanted to see it, however my parents wouldn't let me because it was PG-13. I had watched Star Wars before, but I didn't have any interest in it. In 2007 my Dad rented ROTS and we watched it, I enjoyed it but I didn't really get it. Two years later my dad rented the entire trilogies and we watched them in order. I fell in love with them. We watched one Star Wars movie a day all summer long. The the Clone Wars came out in August 2008 and my family went to go see it. I thought it was an okay movie. The the show came out and I got hooked and watched every week.

25. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    OK, my turn I guess. I was three in 1977 when ANH ("Star Wars") came out. I saw it in the theater and loved it. Then TESB came out in 1980 when I was six, and truly cemented my lifelong SW fanhood. Even though I grew up with the OT, I loved the PT movies too, and I adjusted my view from "the SW trilogy" to "the SW saga". I never got into the EU, though... I barely played any of the games, only read five novels, and never read any comics.

When TCW movie came out I didn't even go to see it at the theater*; I had a personal boycott of it because of the plot summaries I'd read, especially in that Anakin had a padawan. I thought that this poorly conceived story had no right being shown as a SW movie in theaters. I even held its being animated against it, since we already had the microseries of the almost-same-name. But then sometime before the show started on CN I decided to at least give it a chance, and I was surprised. Episodes like Ambush, the Malevolence arc, and of course Rookies were actually really good. Not SW movies good, but still really good entertainment (especially compared to a lot of the other junk on TV). So I kind of stuck with watching the show for a while after that. I watched all of the Season 1 episodes, but then sometime in Season 2 I grew a little tired of it and became a more occasional viewer of the show; basically I watched the episodes that sounded interesting to me. Starting in Season 4, I became more consistent again, but I've watched it online since that point.

So to summarize, I was already a SW fan and would have remained a SW fan without TCW. Even if TCW had been terrible I wouldn't have stopped being a SW fan. But as much as the writing has irritated me sometimes, it has never been a terrible show overall... so I kind of view it as an extra layer of SW that was more worthy of my attention than the EU, but on a much lower level than the movies themselves.

*Note: even though I never saw TCW movie in the theater, I do own it now on DVD. I saw it for a really good price, so I bought it to watch with my son (who, incidentally, also prefers the SW movies over TCW :D). It's still not great, but honestly it's better than a lot of the episodes of the show. So I don't really distinguish it from the TCW TV episodes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.