main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion Fisto's Disco: The LACWAC Social Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by G-FETT, Jul 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    Deciding between R2 and Yoda was hard, but I voted for R2. But deciding between Vader and Boba was easy, Boba had better win!

2. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    Watching Band of Brothers. Game of Thrones may be an excellent show, but Band of Brothers is still the greatest HBO series of all time, bar none. It's downright incredible the amount of effort they put into it. Shame that The Pacific didn't stack up.

I also watched Battle of Britain yesterday. Not the best character piece but one hell of a film spectacle. Its rather obvious where Star Wars got their inspiration for the dogfights in film. They had over 30 Spanish airforce planes used as mockups for the German luftwaffe.

3. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Indeed. We had a WWII club in high school and we spent most of our time watching Band of Brothers.

AkashKedavra_93 likes this.
  4. Darth_Zandalor

Aug 2, 2009
    I was really impressed with Donnie Wahlberg in particular. He is a far more talented actor than his brother Marky Mark, which is why I think it's a shame we don't see more of him. Hell, even in the Saw films he was a strong actor.

5. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I thought the same about David Schwimmer in the early episodes. Still, I always liked Damian Lewis and whatshisface from Office Space.

6. Darth_Zandalor

Aug 2, 2009
    It's always amazing to see people's reactions when they discover that Damian Lewis is English. The dude can nail accents the same way that Ewan McGregor can perfectly imitate a texan.

7. Sgt Crowfield

Sgt Crowfield Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 27, 1999
    Oh yes, BoB! :D
    I remember what a hassle it was to get the uncensored (Swiss) set of DVDs. I loved the series, but the (fact) book it was based upon ... not so. Quite the other way around with Black Hawk Down: while I loved the (fact) book to bits, I found the movie to be more on the 'meh' side of things.

8. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    It's familiar, I think I've seen it but the kids may not have... so will look into it again. I just found that it is on Netflix... 6 episodes anyway, which I think is the full deal. Added it to the queue. :cool:

9. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    That lamb's not cute, you don't know what the hell you're talking about.

:p

07jonesj likes this.
  10. Darth_Zandalor

Aug 2, 2009
    This lamb is cute

11. The Shadow Emperor

The Shadow Emperor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 29, 2012
    Reposting my challenge from the Savage thread:

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy likes this.
  12. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
    The answer is incorrect on the "first kill" question.

Darth Ibonek likes this.
  13. The Shadow Emperor

Sep 29, 2012
    Why so it is. I made this yesterday at midnight, so don't hold it against me.

14. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
    Oh, no grudges or anything. Just thought you should know.

15. The Shadow Emperor

Sep 29, 2012
    I'm feeling generous, so you guys get 16 minutes now for the quiz instead of 12. Have at it.

16. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I've seen three images with the exact same layout in the span of 24 hours...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The last I can't find a picture of, but it's from the graphic novel Superman: Secret Identity and is essentially the Call of Duty image with a soldier in the foreground seemingly yelling orders to the reader and pointing behind him while three others shoot up at Superman.

I'm reading it, think "man, I've seen this before," find the Call of Duty image and recognized it. Then on a completely unrelated trip over to Wookiepedia's article about the New Sith Wars, I stumble upon the first image.

Is there like some kind of famous photo or something from WWII that I am unaware of that the three are modeled off of, or did Call of Duty 2 (2005) rip off Secret Identity (2004) with Star Wars Insider 80 (2005) copying one or both, too?

Or multiple artists independently came to the conclusion that having some guy point behind him in the thick of battle whilst looking away is badass.

P.S. For my obligatory Seinfeld-esque Superman reference of the week -- Secret Identity is incredibly trippy. Takes place in the "real world" where Superman exists as a comic book character. A kid is named Clark Kent AFTER Superman and lives in Kansas and is made fun of for being named after the comic book character... he then develops Superman's powers, rescues some people... And wears Superman's costume so that if anyone sees him, they will just be laughed off and not taken seriously if they claim to have been rescued by Superman. [face_hypnotized]:-B

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  17. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Isn't that Superboy Prime's backstory, before the Anti-Monitor came along?

18. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    TaradosGon It's most likely one of those stock poses that gets used over and over.

Here's my favourite:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    Huzzah for an uncomfortable and ambiguous - in regards to being good or bad - phone interview with a zoo.

20. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Phone interview? For what type position and how did it go?

I'm getting a pedicure. Happy spring, people.

21. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    What happens when polish that looks Carolina blue in the bottle, turns out to be Star Destroyer grey. :p

Yeah, had the hands done too, not subjecting you people to a picture of my feet.

[​IMG]

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  22. Sgt Crowfield

Jul 27, 1999
    Saw it tonight with hubby and a friend. It was mindless F*U*N. Perfect for a Saturday night :D. Now I remember why every movie should have Dwayne Johnson in it. And the guy who played Stormshadow ^^.

Jordan1Kenobi likes this.
  23. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    A seasonal position working with sting rays. I did a three month internship with the Detroit Zoo back in 2010 and being hired full time just doesn't seem like it's in the cards for people that don't have 1-3 years of experience. A paid seasonal job is my best bet at getting paid experience which will look good when applying for full time work, but it only seems to come in the Summer. Last Summer I had several interviews and ultimately was never hired.

I'm not sure about the interview. A lot of previous interviews had questions in common that I could anticipate, but this guy seemed to adapt his questions to my answers and caught me off guard, causing me to fumble for answers on a couple.

For instance he asked if I would have a problem giving "keeper talks" to guests, I said no and that I voluntarily did that during my internship with the Detroit Zoo. He then says something like "say on your first day I tell you that in 10 minutes, without preparation, you need to give a talk about ________ cobra, what would you say?"

He had me on speaker phone and I couldn't really hear him clearly and it sounded like he kept saying "Folphe" or something like that. "Folphe Cobra." I told him I couldn't understand him and he repeated it like four times - getting gradually more irritated each time - and every time I kept hearing "Folphe Cobra." So I BSed some answer to his question, not being familiar with a "Folphe Cobra" I told him that and that I would just stick to what I know about basic snake biology, evolution, and diet. After the interview I was like, what the hell is a Folphe Cobra? And looked online and figured out that he must have been saying "False Cobra," so I looked like I was going into some asinine spiel about how I would talk about cobras, etc.

In hindsight I feel like the correct answer would have been to inform him that I'm not familiar with that animal and own up to that.

I felt like it went really well aside from that flub (which felt significant).

Hopefully I get hired this Summer, because if a whole other year passes and I can't get a job related to my zoology degree, I'm probably going to have to just say **** it and look for some completely different job that spits on all the time and money I invested in a Zoology degree.

If nothing else I was accepted to an unpaid internship in Idaho Falls for this Summer, so I guess that's what I'll do if I get turned away from this job.

I don't think so (?) but I'm not sure. I don't know anything about the Anti-Monitor, but I've read several Superman graphic novels taking place across the various continuities, like Superman Earth One, The Death of Superman, Superman: Secret Origin, and Superman: Camelot Falls, all which have like no continuity to each other, so I'm not sure how they all relate (if at all) to each other.

I was only about half way through Secret Identity at the time I made the above post, but finished it this morning.

It's about somebody essentially living a life that mirrors Superman's in a world where Superman does exist as a comic book character. So it's like me getting Superman's powers tomorrow and wearing Superman's costume. He marries a Lois, though she is Indian and her last name isn't Lane, it's Chaudauri or something like that. She's initially put off by the idea of being paired with a "Clark Kent." Clark lives in Manhattan, not "Metropolis" and he is a writer, not a journalist - and is constantly made fun of for his resemblance to the comic book character.

It pretty much follows his entire life from adolescence to being an elderly man with a family, and he is not as invulnerable as Superman is, makes mention that the sun does not re-charge his power, becomes weaker as he gets older, and suggests that his powers may have come from a secret government experiment tampering with the water supply, not in being an alien.

I thought it was really well written and interesting. AFAIK it doesn't take place in any kind of continuity with the other Superman tales. It's probably my second favorite graphic novel I've read (which have largely been Superman graphic novels) after Superman: Earth One, vol 2.

Mia Mesharad and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  24. Darth Ibonek

Darth Ibonek Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 11, 2013
    Look out for RED 2! Funny how it also has Bruce Willis in it.[/quote]

Sgt Crowfield likes this.
  25. Sgt Crowfield

Jul 27, 1999
    Perhaps you're lucky, TaradosGon. One of my best friends who has a degree in biology (herpetology and entomology) managed to secure a job as a zoo director shortly after he got his degree. A small zoo at first, but he did well and later moved on to direct one of the biggest zoos in Germany.
    But he's the exception ... most of my friends with degrees in biology sell tires or - if they're lucky - pharmaceutical products. But who am I to complain? With a master in military sociology I held jobs like parole officer, editor-in-chief of a corporate magazine and (currently) SharePoint admin. Continuous education is a must nowadays I guess.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.