main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Gaming Diagon Alley: The Official Harry Potter Thread/Hogwarts Legacy

Discussion in 'Community' started by Kessel Runner, Jul 26, 2001.

1. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    the only argument you could make for the books deserving a second adaptation is their immense popularity. but then you could make the same argument for twilight or any number of mediocre works of fiction that happen to be extremely popular.

2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Probably but wouldn't a small battle at Hogwarts get everyone more pumped for the final battle?

3. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Maybe to some people.

4. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I know I would have been. The battle happened in both books so it should have happened that way.

5. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    I was quite happy about the film, we still had Harry chase after Snape and the others after the death of Dumbledore and the Death Eaters setting fire to Hagrid's Hut, least he or Fang wasn't in there

6. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    True and they had Bellatrix there. Can't complain about that. Except that several Death Eaters walked through Hogwarts unattacked? There is no way they could make up for that. The most well guarded building in the country and DE's walk through it unopposed? No.

7. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Most of the school more than likely didn't realize they infiltrated the school so they didn't expect to get attacked so that's probably why the DE didn't get attacked

8. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Mediocre is an extremely harsh description. HP is leagues above Twilight and its ilk. The latter is lazy **** aimed at the lowest common denominator. Potter comes from the heart and is a great story. Sure, Rowling's prose sometimes lets her creations down, but there's a detailed story waiting to be told that the films (because they were rushed out) almost entirely missed out on. And some tragic miscasting waiting for correction. :p In 20 or 30 years time there will be a whole new set of British actors ready to take part and hopefully... the will to make it happen. I know it's impossible to predict which stories, literature, will stand the test of time, but I have a feeling Potter will last and Twilight (and all the various Potter clones) will only be footnotes to it.

Mar17swgirl likes this.
  9. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Twilight sucks and it should have never been created!

10. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    What about the Order? What about Ron, Hermione, Ginny, Neville, Luna and the rest of the DA? Why weren't they patrolling?

11. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    There was a couple of members of the Order patrolling, but they got killed after Snape and others left the Great Hall and it's possible that Neville and the others were patrolling other parts of the castle where Snape and other didn't go through

12. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    No one other than Dumbledore was killed. One person was shot at by a spell in the movie right after the DE's left the Great Hall. Ron and the others had the map or at least knew where it was to get and hook up with the Order to find the DE's.

13. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i don't know. the prose is pretty mediocre and the story basically amounts to the archetypal hero's journey. you know, this old thing.

[​IMG]

i quite enjoyed the books and i'm honestly not trying to bash them at all. i just don't see them as great feats of literature, worthy of being adapted into films every 20 years. btw my son absolutely loves twilight and he's a pretty smart kid. i've never read them myself, but it wasn't my intention to insult potter fans by comparing the two. to each their own.

14. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    If they had the map, they would have went to Dumbledore's position which they did and don't think they would have caught up with the Snape and the others in time before they escaped

15. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Put me in the crowd that wants to see the films remade in 20 years. The films had their moments, but were for the most part, forgettable. I'm just not going to rewatch them in the way that I rewatch SW and other movies. A large part of the problem is that the films were made by people who really don't love and don't get Harry Potter. Sure, they appreciate it, they like it enough to turn it into something that'll make money, but they're not part of the "Potter Generation" that grew up reading the books. In 20 years, that "Potter Generation" is going to be all grown up and they're going to make the films they always wanted to see.

I think solojones would have some pretty interesting things to say on this topic.

16. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I don't want it touched for a long while, or even at all. Yeah the movies had their faults, but I'll still be the 80 year old sitting there going "Why can't you Hollywood people come up with anything new???"

tom likes this.
  17. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    If they had the map and were patrolling they would have gone after the DE's immediately and not wait for Dumbledore. and would have stopped them before they escaped.

18. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    The current trend is to remake movies though. So why won't it happen?

19. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Has a company ever try remaking more than 2 that are apart in a series

20. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Reread my sentence. I said I don't WANT them to remake it. ;)

21. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004

what?

(@ post above Miana)

22. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    I think what he means is would anyone ever plan on a reboot/remake of a film series that would take at LEAST 7 films to get through.

23. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Yup, that is what i meant

24. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    Well, there's a first time for everything. :p

25. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Other than remakes of Batman and Spiderman which is only a fraction of 7 I don't think it has happened. You never know though. Someone could attempt it. For the money anyway.