main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Performance in Jabba's Palace: Was it needed?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Twi'lekPrince, Mar 27, 2013.

?

Do you think that the performance in Jabba's Palace was necessary, or unecessary?

1. Necessary

38.9%
  2. Unecessary

61.1%
  1. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I like the original better, but I like the fact that Jabba enjoys live music.

2. Iefan

Iefan Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 31, 2013
    The entire singing sequence is the only special feature change that truly makes me want to leave the room until it's over.

3. Roberto Calrissian

Roberto Calrissian Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 26, 2012
    Nothing special but not cringe worthy either so I'm ok with it.

4. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    I have no problem with the concept. I like that they show that this ruthless gangster lives in such opulence. He has an audience, and everyone there is there to serve him. It makes sense.

I just don't like the over the top SE version.

rumsmuggler likes this.
  5. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    It wasn't necessary. Then again, there was no need to delete it anyway.

6. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I felt it was way too in-your-face.

7. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I just can't watch "Jedi Rocks". I stick with the "bonus disc" until they leave Tatooine then jump to the other disc (until the Death Star blows up and switch back to the Bonus Disc.)
    The Max Rebo Band's "Lapti Nek" fit in better, as if just to provide atmosphere and not be an actual show, but then, and I almost hate to make this observation, Jabba's main audience chamber doesn't make much sense. I figure everyone hung around in hopes of seeing someone get dropped into the Rancor pit, and then they just fell asleep where they were and didn't care about comfort or going to a room because they were drunk or something.

8. Wookiee_Vader

Wookiee_Vader Jedi Master star 2

Aug 21, 2007
    The original scene was one of those great Star Wars scenes that immerse us in this alien universe. It wasn't unnecessary at all, but the new one just became this CGI orgy and turned the film into Star Wars: The Musical.

ScutFarkus, Placeholder and Jcuk like this.
  9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    This.

My reaction from the first time I saw it was, "Do what? Yeah, yeah, yeah, move along."

10. janstett

janstett Jedi Master star 3

May 29, 2004
    I think in the context of the film's release in 1983, they were looking to recreate a little bit of the spectacle of the cantina in ANH and in particular expand on the band. That one really stood out to audiences at the time because of the diversity of alien life all getting along, relatively.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  11. Darth kRud

Darth kRud Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    The original "Lapti Nek" song is great, second to the Cantina Band's performance in A New Hope. Jabba can't be all business. A little music, some death sticks, some live amphibious finger foods in a bowl. Nothing wrong with a little sexual harassment and subsequent murder of a breast wielding slave performer..... It helped create Jabbas personality and was sorta like an acid flash back. Not that I have acid flash backs. Why am I talking about acid? Green boobs. Uggh...Star Wars is for kids! Here's the original. Don't do acid.

As we see even Boba Fett is a man of leisure.

12. natureboy76

natureboy76 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 11, 2009
    Once again, you took the words right out of my mouth. I think the "new" Jabba/Han scene in ANH was the really redundant, unnecessary scene myself...

13. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    Oh that puppet, that poorly built and executed puppet. That lame puppet ruins the scene for me, it's just so bad. Even Max Rebo isn't done well either, but the original Snooties is just terrible, she looks like a MST3K puppet. Also I haven't heard Lapti Nek for awhile until now and I think it is greatly inferior to Jedi Rocks, it's dated sounding, slow, and pretty uninteresting, it sounds like elevator music IMO. It sounds like it should be the background music in a club scene of some 1970s movie.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  14. Darth kRud

Darth kRud Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    lol, I'm not that emotionally invested in the scene ;)

15. OldSchoolFan

OldSchoolFan Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 6, 2013
    A dreadful addition to the movie even though the original Sy Snootles puppet did look quite inanimate and just wobbled around, the whole original Lapti Nek sequence felt raw and rowdy like it really belonged in a den of iniquety and lowlifes unlike the totally over animated and fake looking CGI singers (did we really need to see a close up of the Yuzzum singer's gullet as he hit the high note!!??!!) and pasted in dancers and performers of the new version. Totally slowed the movie down for me, I loved Lapti Nek, George Lucas ballsed it up adding the Jedi Rocks rubbish to the SE just to sell several more action figures because it does nothing for the overall plot of the movie. A bad move all round!!

Jcuk likes this.
  16. Slicer87

Mar 18, 2013
    I am not either, the puppet is just really really bad and I find Lapti Nek not nearly that as great as many of you claim it is. It doesn't feel raw and rowdy to me, it's just slow, kind of boring, and sounds like a bad foreign disco song LOL.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  17. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Watch the personal attacks-Mod edit.

18. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    The puppet was better than that CGI thing hamming it up for the camera

ScutFarkus likes this.
  19. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    The CGI puppet was a forewarning of what was to come regretfully.

ScutFarkus likes this.
  20. Slicer87

Mar 18, 2013
    I have to disagree with you on that, I rather have CGI hamming it up than a totally awlful looking puppet that barely moves with no working mouth singing a bad disco song. The original scene is void of the lively rhythm that the CGI musical number has.

Andy Wylde and Seagoat like this.
  21. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    It's a matter of preference. No right or wrong when it comes to preference.

22. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I'd say they were about equally bad. What made "Jedi Rocks" worse was the song and prolonged nature of it, not the effects.

23. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    OK, honestly I actually really like Jedi Rocks. I prefer it much over Lapti Nek but the club mix is better than both of them! For Lapti Nek it's just...blah...the puppet for Sy Snootles just looked terrible and the whole song is really bad.

I don't think the whole Jabba's Palace song was really neeed. Did GL explain why he put that in?

24. Slicer87

Mar 18, 2013
    Very true.

Andy Wylde and rumsmuggler like this.
  25. darth_mccartney

darth_mccartney Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2008
    It wasn't necessary but it doesn't annoy me at all. S'all good, man!