main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Gaming Diagon Alley: The Official Harry Potter Thread/Hogwarts Legacy

Discussion in 'Community' started by Kessel Runner, Jul 26, 2001.

1. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Isn't DH Part 2 shorter than OOTP movie

I thought Gary Oldman was fantastic as Sirius as well

2. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Hayden is awesome in EP III, it's mostly Lucas' fault.

3. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    50% of what you just said is true.

Point Given likes this.
  4. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Well, I have heard a rumor that Order of the Phoenix in its unedited state is actually three hours long, but that it was cut down to its theatrical length by the studio. I would love to see a three hour ultimate cut of OOTP.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  5. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    I actually started re-reading OOTP and I agree with Chancellor_Ewok that I wouldn't mind seeing a longer cut of that particular film. I really wanted to see Neville visit his parents as it's one of my favorite parts of the book and I don't feel the movie really did it complete justice (that and I wanted to see St. Mungo's...).

Also, I feel Everton 's pain at the way Voldemort's death was handled. The book version is far superior in my opinion. But I just keep this image in mind when I watch the films:

[​IMG]

And all is well.

6. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    I wanted to see Lockhart in St. Mungos.

I mostly want an OOTP refilm because of 2 scenes.

1) Sirius's death. Moreso, Harry's reaction to Sirius's death. Actually, this one I just want a re-edit. Forget the music; leave just the raw emotion of Harry screaming for Sirius and Remus choking on his words as he says "he's gone." It would have been SO MUCH BETTER crying horrible fangirl tears.

2) Harry in Dumbledore's office. I didn't want emo depressed Harry, I wanted Capslock of Angst!Harry from the books to go crazy and destroying everything while yelling at Dumbledore.

7. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    OMG the Harry and Dumbledore scene at the end of OOTP is one of the most missed opportunities in the entire film franchise. Aside from the scene quite possibly being the biggest/laziest info dump in the entire book series, it's always left an impression every time I've read OOTP, and made the frustration and anxiety feel entirely worth it for that exchange between those two characters. The film gives us nothing. No catharsis.

8. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    THIS. I loved this scene in the book because Harry is just so utterly overwhelmed. Few things get me into a fan rage as quickly as when I hear someone refer to this as a "tantrum." No. Sirius just died and Harry has every damn right to want to smash everything in sight.

The closest thing we ever get is this, hilariously enough:

"FOR ****'S SAKE JAKE, YOU MAKE ME FEEL SO INADEQUATE!"

Miana Kenobi likes this.
  9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    "I DON'T CARE!!!"
    "You do care. You care so much that you feel you will bleed to death from the pain of it."

:_| How many of us have felt that way at one time or another...and wished that our "I don't care!" were the truth? So true to life, that speech.

10. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    I see a big hole on top of Voldemort's head [face_laugh]

11. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    There was speculation that Goblet of Fire was originally gonna be split into 2 films, but don't know how that would work

12. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Agreed. My other huge one is Snape's HBP revelation at the end of HBP. Mostly his explosion of "I AM NOT A COWARD!" and just FINALLY explodes and Alan Rickman could have done it SO BEAUTIFULLY and it would have been amazing but nooooooooooo... we get the lamest reveal ever.

13. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    That's exactly it. I wouldn't mind the changes in the films, if they had gotten those crucial moments in books right. But they didn't. They messed up exactly those few points where it was important not to screw up.

That's why I want - no, need - a remake of those films, when there is a new generation of filmmakers who grew up loving the HP books, and who know and respect the material enough to give it proper justice when adapting.

Oh, and Miana Kenobi - Gary Oldman isn't my ideal Sirius, either, but I never really considered Rufus Sewell for the role... Now that you mention it, though - it's pretty inspired, I guess. Although I worry a little that he wouldn't be gruff enough.

14. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Oh man, I felt like I'd been physically robbed when I saw the on screen execution of that scene.

EDIT:
    Decisions can be made at the start of the run (be it film or television) with the end of the story in mind. I recently borrowed all the HP films on BR to watch through. Problem was, watching them through like that I felt like I was watching a series of ideas, nothing cohesive. It just did not feel like one piece of work... which is a remarkable statement given that the actors (largely) remained the same. Plus, the appeal of a second adaptation is that their eye won't be on making cash quite as much as it would be if they were the first adaptations. Cash is the primary reason the films we have were rushed out. Now that horse has bolted, now that as much money as it will ever be possible to make from the franchise has been made, the second adaptation can be far more considered, far more creatively minded... and when completed feel like one piece of work.

Mar17swgirl likes this.
  15. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Makeup and acting! He would be amazing! PLUS, he's kinda stepped back from acting because he dislikes getting typecast as villains all the time, so it would have been perfect because Sirius isn't a villain at all.

16. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I'm not big into remakes. I have plenty of problems with the movies, but I kinda grew up with them, too, and they're still special to me. I don't know that I could see other actors playing those characters.

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  17. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    What is ur favourite scene from the Harry Potter films?

Mine is Harry vs Voldemort ( DH Part 2 )

18. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Favorite scene from the movies? Fireworks/Weasley Rebellion in OOTP to end of Possession scene. Love the Newspaper scenes as well.
    The Quidditch World Cup from talk with Malfoy to start of match. Hate that the match was thrown out.
    Harry talks to Quirrielmort. Love Voldemort in this.
    Favorite Book Chapter Priori Incantatum or however its spelled. Great chapter.

19. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I just put all the books on my son's Kindle a couple of nights ago and he can't put Sorcerer's Stone down. [face_dancing]. We have a convert.

Favorite scene from the movies? Probably Harry meeting Hagrid for the first time, or his first glimpse of Diagon Alley.

NYCitygurl likes this.
  20. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Another one of my favourite scenes from the films is this scene

21. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I want to re-read the books again at some point.

22. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    I try to re-read the books once every other year. This is one of those years, I'm waiting for the summertime so I can get some other books out of the way right now. They are still fantastic to read, I will probably continue to read them even after I memorize everything!

NYCitygurl likes this.
  23. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    [​IMG]

"It was a mistake for you to come here tonight, Tom." [face_skull]

All said and done, I think there were three major missed opportunities where the books and movies differed:

3) In HBP when Snape is lecturing Harry as he fends off Potter's rage-fueled attacks.
    2) Kreacher's tale from DH. Seriously, it explains "who the *bleep* is Regulus Black?!?"
    1) Lupin's explanation at the end of PoA about the identity of the Marauders. Sweet Salma Hayek, they blew it here!

Don't get me wrong, I loved the series. And I waited until I'd seen the movies to read them, but these are IMNSHO where they botched it.

24. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    The makeup let him look like a villain.

[​IMG]

25. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    It's Count Saruman

Jedi Merkurian likes this.