main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    And somewhere a Saxton fan mus be crying after seeing this. :D

Barriss_Coffee and CooperTFN like this.
  2. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    The problem with Empire at War (EaW) was the very limited scale and something very strange happened during development, which led to a lot of new vehicles being created, when suitable candidates for those roles already existed in the EU, while its expansion, Forces of Corruption (FoC), had the added problem of adding Petroglyph's dream team in the form of the Zann Consortium and not getting a proper conclusion to the major cliffhanger at the end, the Carbonite Sith Army. Despite these problems, I am rather fond of the game, and the Phoenix Rising mod for FoC sure helps with the limited scale in such away that I believe it is what EaW should have been in the first place.

3. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    Empire at War was great... when modded. Phoenix Rising and Thrawn's Revenge in particular were fantastic. The base game is nothing special. The same can be said of Battlefront II- it's best when played with the Battlefront Conversion Pack and/or DannBoeing's insane levels.

Zeta1127 likes this.
  4. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    I think alot of my love for Empire at War and Battlefront II comes from the mods more than the actual game itself. I had Battlefront II on Xbox for years and I once I got the PC version the first thing I did was just download mods and play them instead of the actual base game content...

5. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    If you have never played DannBoeing's levels (he's a Battlefront 2 modder whose files are all hosted on Filefront), rectify that error immediately. His Pepperland: Psychadelia level in particular is hilarious.

6. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    The Battlefront Extreme mod was more inline with what I expected Battlefront 2 to be.

7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000

I still have my old TIE Fighter from the 'ol LucasArts collector's bundle thing (some of the best games EVER), but from what I understand you can get the discs used at a decent prize on ebay or amazon. The DOS collectors discs are harder to find (but better since they have iMUSE) whereas the Win95 "remastered" versions are easy as sin to find.

No they didn't -- that was Factor 5 (RIP :( )

Would've been more awesome with the original concept that used an original bounty hunter character though, imo. I think we all agree that the underlevels stuff was really, really, promising.

The Fett thing is just dumb though, sorry. Yes, the former is still cool enough to overdo the latter, but that doesn't mean it wasn't an inferior idea to the original.

Zorrixor likes this.
  8. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Agreed. For me, the Fett thing turned it from a potentially exciting story where you genuinely didn't know what was coming, to Han and Chewie showing up in Death Troopers and you instantly knowing they'd make it out alive.

I preferred it when it had the potential for the new protagonist to be this generation's Kyle Katarn or Revan, an all new video game hero, who might be good, might be bad, might live, might die. But Fett? You'd know from the start the story was going to end up with Mr Mandalorian Supercommando going ape and blowing everything in his way up.

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, original protagonists were what really distinguished the classic Star Wars games, I think. It helped you invest more in the story, I think, and captured the early EU "large universe" feel. Not to put too fine a point on it though -- the Rogue games were awesome despite playing as Luke/Wedge (gonna ignore Sarkli) while the original Gavin Sykes was pretty much without any sort of personality, so it's not like it has to be a rule. Fett is beyond overdone though -- I don't know what Lucas was thinking. And it seems this decision was made in stealth, and we'd probably not have known until much later but for the cancellation ("guys 1313 is a Fett game, SURPRISE!" imagine the complaints then, had it not been cancelled). (edit: although then again, I've never played BH and people seem to be rather fond of it, so who knows)

Also, this is rather sad: A Eulogy for LucasArts :(

Zorrixor, KamSolusar and TrandoJedi like this.
  10. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Bounty Hunter was fun because you could do a level by shooting everyone. Innocents? No one's innocent!

11. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    that Euology is very sad. :(

12. FatSmel

FatSmel Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 23, 2012
    When I played X-wing game, i thought there was a character called "Topaces", and if you played as him you could do all the missions.

Then I realised that "Topaces" was just "Top Aces" and that as a 9 year old i was really dumb

13. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Hrm. Speaking of X-Wing, the rumor mill is churning out tales about a new Empire Era animated series. Filoni already said he's in cahoots with said animated series.

The notion of Ahsoka replacing Wedge as Rogue Leader comes one step closer to reality.

Esg likes this.
  14. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    So the Imperial Era becomes even more black and white?

[​IMG]

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  15. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Oh. Hell.

Somebody tell me why I suddenly have visions of multiple episodes of Goggles!Ahsoka from Craptis.

...actually, don't.

16. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    It makes no sense to make a pre Episode 1 spin off movie after they've cancelled all the other stuff. The animated series would have to be after ROTJ, but then why? Wouldn't it make sense to do it within the Episode 7 timeframe? Were they get to introduce new charatcers, situations, weapons, vehicle, etc etc?

17. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I also don't take any stock with whatever they come out in animation cause if Disney don't like it or it doesn't do good it gets taken off just like that. Just look at Tron Uprising and the Clone Wars

18. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I wonder if Corran Horn and Ahsoka would hit it off?

19. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Retcon: Ahsoka plus Lux = Kyle Katarn Corran.

20. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Clarification: I Liked your post only so that I could Unlike it. [face_not_talking]

21. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    Why you dasterdly Snivvian! [face_frustrated]

Thinking about this more, even if Ahsoka's not in the series, and seeing is a post-ROTJ series is a very real possibility at this point, the dilemma we have to contend with is that Filoni will likely be at the helm. He's already confirmed he's working on the animated series; whether or not he's in charge remains to be seen, but even if he isn't right away, he's definitely got seniority at LucasAnimation.

So the Even/Adi/Ryloth issues might just be the overture of what we'll see when Filoni's unleashed in the New Republic era.

22. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    According to that article, not the Imperial Era, but the post-ROTJ era. Note the line about "the Rebellion taking down the remaining remnants of the Empire spread across the galaxy." This is EXACTLY the sort of series I am dying for. The best thing that the new Sequel Trilogy can do to both generate interest in the OT era and "fill in the gaps" between ROTJ and Episode VII is an animated series. We can see the Big Three, Chewie, the Droids, Lando, Wedge, Ackbar, the rest of the Rebellion, and a whole new cast of characters. I have been saying since the beginning that the best way portions of the Expanded Universe will be incorporated into the new official canon is via an animated series.

I have taken a bit of flak for promoting an animated series of the nature, especially from some of my fellow posters that maintain the EU can/will be preserved. But I stand firm to my position. The best way that Star Wars will grow and thrive in this new Sequel Era is to be unencumbered by hundreds of novels & comics and focus on telling a good story. The EU should serve as a pool for good ideas, places, characters, and starships, but not tie the hands of the new cartoon or movies.

--Adm. Nick

23. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    post ROTJ series? NEVER NEVER NEVER EVER.. unless it adheres to continuity 100%, not 90, not 99 but 100%

24. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm hoping Disney just has Filoni doing animation and doesn't put him in charge.

A Rogue Squadron series would be good but I don't want Ahsoka shoehorned in as one of the pilots.

Esg likes this.
  25. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    AdmiralNick22: On the one hand I'd love that, but after seeing what Filoni's done to TCW (and my beloved Barriss Offee! :_|), I've got a horrendously bad feeling about this. On the one hand we'd no doubt see parts of the EU make their way onto the screen intact. On the other, you can bet half of them will end up skewed and abused. Like we'd see the EU Rogues, and then they'll kill Tycho to satisfy the plot for an episode.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.