main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Your take on this ROTS alternate ending?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Seagoat, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Just to state this now - this is NOT another PT bashing thread with "I wanted this instead!" whining. This is an idea I had the other day and I'm wondering what people would have thought had it turned out this way.

Now here's my idea - what if we saw nothing of Vader after Obi-Wan left? We never see him put in the suit. Not only, assuming you're watching the films in order, would this preserve the mystery of Obi-Wan's retcon lie, but also the "I am your father" plot twist.

However, I feel it would also be fairly strange seeing him appear later in the armor. What do you guys all think?

(I apologize in advance if there is already a thread for this, I looked and could not find one)

2. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    Yeah this has come up even while I've been here.

Adywan shares your point of view and in about 20 years we'll get to see his vision of the prequels realised. Maybe.

3. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    He is referred to as Darth Vader before he gets the suit. It would be extremely obvious that its the same guy even if we don't see him in the suit. Plus The whole "history" dialogue from Ben to Luke and Ben to Vader.

Darth Chiznuk , DARTHSHAME and V-2 like this.
  4. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    Yes, this totally works, and I've got a feeling Disney isn't going to wait for 20 years to release alternate edits of the PT.

5. Monkeystrummer

Monkeystrummer Jedi Youngling

Mar 23, 2013
    Hey guys and gals... Im new here and this is my first post.
    I think that the prequels could have done so much more with Darth Vader.
    As an alternative ending i think that
    A) The phantom menace was irrelevant to the Darth Vader story.
    The first episode should have began with Attack of the Clones
    B) episode II would then have ended with Anakin being mangled and turned into Vader
    C) episode III should have dealt with Obi Wan discovering who Vader was, duelling with him and beating him, but not killing him and then kidnapping the twins and then Vader could
    have been seen hunting down the Jedi whilst commanding a clone army... You did not get to see suited up Vader
    Fighting, which i thought was disappointing...
    Also... I have always thought it could have been quite something had the clone wars actually been about people
    Fighting their own clones... Imagine if anakin had had to fight his own clone and killed him... Something like this
    Would have given more weight to why he might have turned to the darkside. The emperor could have cloned all the jedi and
    Commanded a dark yoda, obi wan etc... And the real anakin was somehow stuck having to kill them all

Original Oatmeal likes this.
  6. Klingon Padawan

Klingon Padawan Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 5, 2013
    That's true, the suit doesn't make him Vader. Even if we don't see Anakin being put into the suit at the end of ROTS, when people watch the OT, they'll recognize the name Darth Vader. Therefore, the paternal plot twist isn't really hidden even if you watched the PT first because you already know that Vader is Anakin.

The only way to make this idea work is to also never show Anakin being called Vader by Sidious in any scenes. Remove the scene where Anakin is knighted Darth Vader, too.

7. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Whoa whoa, I think you misread me. This is NOT what I would have wanted instead. I love the movies as they are, but I was just thinking the other day about "What if this happened instead?"

I've seen how this Adywan wants to butcher Lucas's masterpieces, not at ALL interested.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  8. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    It sounds like you have read too much Dark Empire

9. Skelter

Skelter Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    Who is this guy?? How did he get the rights to make changes to the prequels?

10. Monkeystrummer

Monkeystrummer Jedi Youngling

Mar 23, 2013
    Well i have not read any of Dark Empire... But it sounds like maybe i should!

11. DARTHSHAME

DARTHSHAME Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2003
    That was the first thing I thought. Obviously, if GL was writing SW from the beginning PT, then ST he would have done things differently.

12. Darth Dominikkus

Darth Dominikkus Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2013
    Seeing as the title, Darth Vader, was given to him after the death of Mace Windu, there would be no surprise as to who the armored man was in ANH.

13. OldSchoolFan

OldSchoolFan Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 6, 2013
    Even though it was inevitable that we would be shown Skywalker donning the iconic armour, I personally think that it would have been a stronger intro for the armoured Sith Lord if the scene where the helmet slid into place and the legendary beathing began was faded out and that was the last time he was seen or heard from until the entrance in ANH, where you finally see him in action striding into the fray fully armoured and completely in control!

14. TheMadHatter

TheMadHatter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2009
    just the words alternate ending gives me a headache

SithStarSlayer and Slicer87 like this.
  15. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    Me too.

16. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Adywan in his edits is only saying what we're all thinking. The Prequels need some fine tuning, especially in the dialogue and silly antics department.

17. darthbarracuda

darthbarracuda Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 4, 2012
    They should've done that and had like a flashback or something...

18. Slicer87

Mar 18, 2013

That is what you think, you don't speak for me or many others.

Darth Chiznuk , lbr789 and Seagoat like this.
  19. Skelter

Skelter Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    The prequels are fine the way they are, its the OT that's a mess.

20. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Would have been a cool alternate ending.
    The Pt is fine..but what about the OT is a mess?

darthbarracuda likes this.
  21. janstett

janstett Jedi Master star 3

May 29, 2004
    Even as it is Obi-Wan never sees him in the armor. Presumably he would have heard about Vader's survival and new appearance in the intervening 20 years.

22. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    Is this for real?

23. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    I hope so.

24. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    To each his own.[face_peace]

25. Slicer87

Mar 18, 2013
    More likely he sensed he was Vader though the force, just like Vader sensed Oni-Wan was onboard the Death Star.