main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion Fisto's Disco: The LACWAC Social Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by G-FETT, Jul 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    If he regularly does interviews via speaker phone, he's probably had that kind of misunderstanding happen before. Good luck, hope it works out for you. :)

2. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
  3. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
  4. RG4

RG4 Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 16, 2013
    Why wouldn't you use Star Destroyer grey?

5. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I did. ;)

But if you insist, I'll make a girly-girl comment about what colors look best with my skin tone. :p

6. RG4

RG4 Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 16, 2013
    Go for it, my colors are summer ones.
    2 Sisters, and 7+ female cousins and aunts shaped me well.

Sgt Crowfield likes this.
  7. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Phone interviews are rough. I've done a few of them for IT positions and hate them. Best of luck, bro!

TaradosGon likes this.
  8. Sable_Hart

Sable_Hart Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2009
    What thread is designated for bitching about the latest RebelForce radio interview with Filoni?

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  9. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    It's funny -- several years ago bio/genetics/molecular/etc-type fields were all the rage, now it's a rat race like everything else. I got a BA in biology a few years back, and continued straight to gradschool since I was a scaredy-cat and didn't want to enter the Real World, but all my friends/roomates/etc who had graduated with me are still trying to find a steady job. Even the medical field seems to have slowed down.

It seems like if you don't have a degree higher than a BA/BS or a crapton of experience, your chances of landing a decent job are slim -- TaradosGon: do you have a degree higher than a BA yet? Because graduate school might be worth it.

10. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    I can attest to this as well. Although I have a BS degree in an engineering discipline, I decided that it was better to go on to graduate school so as to improve my chances of landing a better job from the get go. My expertise is actually as much in biology as it is in engineering, so having a more advanced degree should be far more helpful to me than getting out to the job market with just a BS. The best jobs available nowadays are typically those given to folks with extensive technical expertise. Just my $0.02, and even now as I'm about to graduate I'm dreading the job search I'm currently engaged in.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  11. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I got my bachelors and worked for several years before going back for my masters, and my masters is in a slightly different field, but the job search post-masters degree was easier. Statistically unemployment levels go down with more advanced degrees, although it doesn't necessarily feel that way when one is job-hunting.

Good luck Circular_Logic and TaradosGon .

Circular_Logic likes this.
  12. Sgt Crowfield

Sgt Crowfield Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 27, 1999
    When my herpetologist friend and I graduated back in '92, it was either master (and perhaps later a doctor) or nothing at all. The intermediate degrees like bachelor came years later here. Hubby for example decided halfway through his studies that he wanted to bail out shortly before the final tests, and since he had already met all the requirements he got his BS instead. But as it still wasn't very well known at the time, he was forced to do freelance work as nearly no company hired people with Bachelor degrees back then.

We did have two varieties of a masters degree, though: the more general type (after which you called yourself Master of Arts, Science etc. ) with three fields of study and the more specialized form (Diploma-this or that) with one major field of study, one secondary field and three minor fields. The Masters degree was usually used if you went into the teaching business while the Diploma degree was used if you wanted to leave the ivory tower for a commercial enterprise or other. So I actually have a Diploma degree, but as it's the same level as Masters I usually use that term when talking to non-German interested parties.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  13. RG4

RG4 Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 16, 2013
    Everyone with their college degrees...and their jobs, sadly I still with my parents and going through high school.

14. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I'm still with my parents and going through university, and I need to find a job, but there's just nothing available...

15. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    One thing I've learned that I wish someone had told me years ago is that it's not always your experience/grades/etc that get you employed, but the people you know. It's funny (er, in that not-really-funny-at-all sort of way), because when you're in school everyone tells you to focus on your schoolwork, your standardized tests, etc etc, just so you can become a good-looking number in the system. But from what I've seen working on the hiring end of things, if people know who you are personally (or know someone who's spoken of you), your chances of landing a job are infinitely higher.

Same thing goes for funding agencies (if you're in any of the sciences, including social science) -- I was on a couple of review panels for the National Science Foundation (the big government supporter for research in the US... PBS always thanks them before their programs), and I was shocked at how often panels look at proposals and fund scientists based on how well they know applicant. "Oh yeah I know Joe... he's a good guy. Throw him in the "must fund at any cost" pile." It works in the opposite direction too, but I didn't see that as often.

I suppose this is why internships, even unpaid ones, are often worth it in the longrun. It's not just about getting experience (which is still important!), but making connections.

And why all those damn brownnosers are now ruling the world!:mad:

16. RG4

RG4 Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 16, 2013
    Just like the Sith it all makes sense now!

17. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    This is true. How many diplomas have a GPA printed on them? None that I know of. Being a perfectionist, the first year in college I struggled to keep a GPA of 4 or better at the expense of any social activity (including that with potential future employers) until I was given that same advice. So far, that advice has certainly paid off.

18. Sgt Crowfield

Sgt Crowfield Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 27, 1999
    Ours have. Or rather, had ... I have no idea if this changed or not over the course of the last twenty years.

Yes, networking is essential. Unfortunately, because I don't like to be involved in business networks. Toadying some corporate bobbleheads in my precious free time? No thanks.

I'm not much of a teamworker, either, unless it's in team-based e-sports (and even then it's more of a necessity than an innate desire). My preferred method of work is being given a general outline of the problem, a deadline ... and that's it. If I need directions, I'll ask. If I don't ask, I don't need directions. I really hate to be forced to discuss details with ten others when I could just implement a solution instead. Sigh ...

19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I made above-average grades with little effort in college, meaning "I probably should study but damn, it's our regular night at the Mexican restaurant/the sun is out on the Blue Ridge Parkway and there will be men with no shirts/there's a good comedian at the club tonight".

In grad school I worked my ass off and made straight As except in one class that we aren't going to discuss.

Made no difference in my job prospects that I'm aware of; I was never asked in interviews what my grades were, potential employers were only concerned that I had the degree and yes, what experience I had. And having original ideas and leadership skills were important.

Sgt Crowfield, I'm not much of a team project person either; thankfully my job rarely requires it.

20. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Pretty much where I think most of the difficulty of finding a job in my field comes from is from lack of connections. Most the the folks I'm networked with in my field just aren't in the Orlando area. They are somewhere between DC and Baltimore, or Rio Ranchi, NM.

21. AkashKedavra_93

Jan 8, 2011
    I have a writing job at the moment and I work with the Tutoring Department. I'll probably pick up a library shift too. Campus jobs aren't "lucrative" necessarily, but most of the time, it's pretty convenient.

22. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    How LACWACy are you?

Yeah, I threw together a LACWAC personality quiz real quick. I tried to put my personal bias aside the best I could and I think I did pretty well. I tried to include something for everyone, I tried to represent all extremes. LACWACy doesn't really mean anything anymore, so the results don't really matter, but hopefully the Q/A provides some amusement. I suggest you just answer the questions honestly. There's no reason to be dishonest, it's not like there's a right or a wrong, being LACWACy isn't necessarily good, and not being LACWACy isn't necessarily bad. You decide. You might be surprised at the level of LACWACiness for each answer. I tried to make it balanced so no one got 100% or 0%. I tried to keep it focused on TCW so noobs could take it.

I answered it honestly and only got a 79, which is one point below the top bracket.

Grrrr, it cut off one the questions! Oh well.

lol @ the comments at the bottom. That site is so lame, but it was quick and easy.

23. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Who even has a name like Nittin?
    Anyway, I got a 72.

24. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    That was hilarious. I got a 60.

Needs a "**** this ****" or a "66-minute-long acid trip" option for Mortis. :p

25. AkashKedavra_93

Jan 8, 2011

"You're straddling that line between sane and LACWACy. It's not too late to turn back, but go any further and you're lost to Lord Kowak forever."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.